SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#377572 - 12/09/13 07:14 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like to hear my arranger in stereo...most of it's effects are stereo based, and I have a lot of styles wherein the instruments use stereo delay or hard panning, so I miss those enhancements when using a mono system. When I was demoing arrangers, Yamaha insisted I use a stereo system.

By far the best system I have personally used in stereo was two Bose L1 Model 1's (the bigger system and each had a sub woofer) when I was doing some work in a theater setting...it was amazing how the stereo separation seemed to work even at quite a distance from the stage. I realize they are very expensive, and I was only renting them, but the sound was killer and coverage was outstanding.

I did try two Bose Compacts, but in a large hall across the street from the music store, and got the same great response in stereo and wonderful coverage, but, of course, they weren't nearly as loud. Still, one could do a reasonably sized room with them...and a major benefit is you don't need the extra cost of a monitor system.

Again, these Compacts are pricey, especially in pairs, but my old Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors, (which I still use) were around $800 each nearly 25 years ago, and I don't regret spending the extra bit for good reliable sound (Bose weren't makin' the L1's back then). Thing is, you may buy several arrangers over the years, but a good sound system needs only to be purchased once.

But, it's your money and just my humble opinion. Good luck.

Ian

#377574 - 12/09/13 07:26 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

What I didn't like about both my Bose systems was the lack of midrange due to the pole speakers,......and the fact that with two systems you have to carry 2 subs, 4/6 poles, cases, etc, just way too much gear vs two powered speakers. Also in big 300/400pp dance gigs you need more subs. Around here I see Dj's using up to 4 Bose L1 subs surprised on each side of the room to accommodate today's music.

Yes in a small setting it could suffice in mono or two in stereo which I prefer....but not my choice.

Go listen....A/B many systems before you choose wisely....with YOUR keyboard at FULL performance volume cool2
good luck.

Edited by Dnj (12/09/13 07:28 AM)

#377581 - 12/09/13 08:20 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been using two Compacts since they came out. Nobody has ever said, "man you are missing some mids". And I can clearly hear every frequency range. Nothing is missing. \
Instead, a countless number of people, including musicians and/or singers, about how great it sounds.
Can't recommend them highly enough!
I run everything flat, as far as e.q. I may adjust slightly if the venue calls for it. Many people still use the old "V" pattern on their e.q. system, cutting mids and/or boosting highs and lows. This is not necessary on the Bose systems.
However, use whatever sounds good to you, and that you want to lug around! Until I hear something that beats the combination of sound and functionality that I have now, I'm set for life! Hope that is quite a while longer, btw.
:}

#377582 - 12/09/13 08:23 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When you have the sound system that works for you....you will know it...I found mine 28 years ago..yes they were expensive...but my return was excellent...I have tried other systems (because I could)...The Cubes are still here...the others are gone.. smile

I am a comfirmed believer in Stereo...and it does make a difference in any room..even stadiums.. grin

#377584 - 12/09/13 08:37 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with my mentor, Don Mason. I never had a problem with mid range sounds - never! And,in my part of the nation, nearly all of the DJs and KJs have switched to Bose L1 systems during the past decade. They no longer have issues where people sitting closest to the speakers tell them to turn it down, while those situated farther away say turn it up. The clarity and crispness of the Bose L1 systems is unsurpassed - IMO no conventional sound systems comes remotely close. Like I said earlier, give the Bose L1 Compact a try and if you don't like what you hear, return them for a full refund - no questions asked.

Keep in mind that the entire Bose L1 Compact system only weighs a little more than 20 pounds, lighter than most amp heads. You don't need to lug speaker stands, run a bunch of cables, heft speakers onto poles - none of that. Yes, there are a pair of speaker extensions, each weighing just over 3 pounds, about the same weight as a bottle of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. Take a look at the video I posted on You Tube and you'll have an idea of how light and easy this system is to assemble.

At age 73, I'm one of the oldest performers on this forum, so anything that will make life easier and simple is a real bonus for me. Like Don Mason said, I think I'm set for life with the Bose L1 Compacts.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377588 - 12/09/13 08:59 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

No one is gonna talk me into EVER buying a Bose system again of any kind,...
I realize and respect everyone's choices. Enjoy what YOU play and make great music with it!....it's just not MY cup of tea for MY Needs...been there.

carry on

#377610 - 12/09/13 12:15 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: Dnj]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
JBL Eons are all I use, in different configurations depending on the venue size. I have to agree that the Bose design inherently suppresses the midrange power of the system.

The Bose are perfect for small to medium size area venues, and I agree that that stereo is the way to go for improved clarity and take advantage of the arranger's DSP effects and the stereo spread.

The largest venue I played was a contemporary designed church that was very wide and fully carpeted. The midrange power of the Bose would of gotten mostly sucked acoustically into the carpet.

For me, the best power to weight considerations at full dynamic range was the powered JBL Eon system. Years back a DJ was using the EON 515's with two Eon 518s subwoofers at a wedding I was attending. Could not believe how clean and full the sound was without the screeching highs burning out my ear drums.

So now I use with my Tyros varied combinations of the EON 515, EON 510, and one EON 518s subwoofer. I didn't see the need for two subwoofers because the low range of the stereo spread is generally non directional and a 18 inch subwoofer at 500 w continuous is more than adequate for the largest hall I played. The EONs weight 17 lbs, 32 lbs, and 65 lbs respectively, but 65 lbs for a 18 inch subwoofer isn't bad and only need it occasionally.

The smaller light EON 510s are also perfect at home with my Tyros when I am not using my headphones. Only the poles to assemble if more than one speaker is needed per side.

If it wasn't for the occasional larger venues the Bose may of been a consideration for me, but very expensive when I would insist on two systems for stereo. Just my two cents of experience since I use the EONs myself.

Marcus

#377615 - 12/09/13 12:32 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The largest venue I played with the Bose L1 standard (PAS) was a concert at Aberdeen, Maryland Festival Park.

I performed there the year before using a pair of Barbetta Sona 32SC powered speakers, 450-watts RMS each. I was set up in the pavilion close to the front and while I thought I may have turned the speakers up too loud, I was told later that I could barely be heard at the far end of the park, which was a distance of about 600 feet.

The following year I used the Bose L1 Standard (PAS) with a single sub. The park administrator said she could hear me in City Hall, which was 100 yards beyond the park. I was astonished that the sound would carry that far.

My largest crowd was approximately 1,000 rowdy fishermen at the Ocean City Tuna Tournament. It was also outdoors, and the coverage was more than adequate, despite the high crowd noise level. Additionally, they had a local DJ who asked if he could plug into my system because he would sound better and get better coverage. He purchased a Bose L1 Standard and single sub the following day.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/09/13 12:34 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377632 - 12/09/13 02:42 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
So many different opinions here. I use QSC k series K 8 and yamaha Dxr 12 and the Dsr subs and it sounds good I like Gary's set up the K8 speakers have been gold for me. I guess that's why baskin Robbins sell 31 flavors of Ice Cream.

#377803 - 12/11/13 03:40 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
To Bose or not to Bose...

For me, the decision has always been about coverage, first, and SPL second.

If you do a gig where you WANT everyone in the venue to hear you at roughly the same volume, I can't recommend them too highly. That's is kind of their strength. On the other hand, a lot of bars and dance venues like a good loud volume on the dance floor, but want to be able to converse at the bar and the tables (hard to close the deal if she can't hear you!), and for this type of gig and venue, the Bose work against you.

Admittedly, many OMB's tend to play in the 'background music' type mode, restaurants, things like that. The Bose shine at this.

The other thing is sheer SPL... I've tried the Compacts, and to be quite honest, I couldn't use one (or two!). I'm still playing to the bar crowd, mostly, usually with live bands or venues that usually have full bands. If they (and their clientèle) are used to this kind of volume, you are hard pressed to get a Compact up to it and it remain clean. In fact, even the big L1's have problems getting up there, and then you still have the issue of the whole room being loud, not just the dance floor. And if they start to break up a bit, the whole room knows it!

Bottom line about any of these things is, try using them for a full band, put a miked up drum kit into one with the full band, you can tell they aren't really designed to handle it. The limiter kicks in, and they sound pinched and squashed. Understandable, considering you are asking a few tiny speakers to do the work that huge horns and 12-15" speakers and subs do!

But at what they do best, even coverage at modest volume levels, they cannot be beat, IMO...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online