SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#377453 - 12/08/13 07:51 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
When I was shopping keyboards to try the OMB thingy, a fellow from Australia helped me a bunch. Somewhere along our conversation, relationship he referred to himself as not being a musician. He said, I'm not a musician, I'm a drummer." LOL!

I always considered someone who played a musical instrument, and knew music in the form of musical notes, or chord theory etc., a musician.

Someone who sings and especially who sings and doesn't know a Bb from a K7th is not a musician but is known as a vocalist. We had an excellent Vocalist in my first band in 1857 for the R&R we played. He was one of the best I've worked with. However, he didn't even know what key he was singing in. Would anyone who is a musician call him a musician? Think about it!

Ray Charles was a Vocalist and one of the top musicians on earth. Frank Sinatra referred to him as, "The only genius in our business." The best vocalist are usually musicians with a few exceptions. By the way Nat Cole and Frank Sinatra both played piano, so they were musicians too.

Edited by brickboo (12/08/13 07:57 AM)

#377455 - 12/08/13 08:06 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: brickboo]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

Drumming On A Fat Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwn46pnNZqY

Guy Plays A Cat Organ (BBC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxEHi6Mlzmk

#377456 - 12/08/13 08:16 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: brickboo]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
We had an excellent Vocalist in my first band in 1857 for the R&R we played.

Geez Boo....So Bill Haley and Little Richard did NOT invent R&R?
Picturing you playing R&R seems a bit of a stretch...even back in 1857. Or maybe Jazz hadn't been invented yet.
smile
Eddie

#377457 - 12/08/13 08:46 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: btweengigs]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Eddie, If someone would have brought me a Coltrane, Getz, Rollins or Dexter Gordon recording and said learn this if you want to play in our band, it wasn't going to happen.

The Jazz standards I know was learned the hard way. I'm not a bebop musician, I can't play that fast.

#377458 - 12/08/13 08:56 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
While my audiences consider me to be a musician, I personally, have always considered myself to be an entertainer. Yes, I can sing and have been singing since I was very young. I can pick out a tune on a guitar, do a bit of strumming on a 12-string, play a mandolin, harmonica, and tenor banjo, and I usually know what key I'm singing in. While I was down in the Florida Keys last winter, a charter captain that I knew from years past in Maryland came up to me while I was doing a Jimmy Buffett song on the PSR-3000. Turns out that when fishing is slow in Chesapeake Bay he set up a karaoke rig at the local American Legion where he lives in Maryland. When he saw my gear he said "Wow! That's the neatest karaoke machine I ever saw." Fortunately, his very attractive wife smacked him on the side of his head and explained that this was not karaoke. Then he pointed to the laptop on top of my console. I explained to him it was for lyrics when I forget them. I then closed the laptop and proceeded to perform for the next two hours without it. Love that lady!

So, are singers musicians? I would say yes and their voice is the same as using their right hand on the keyboard. It just produces a different sound, and a lot more versatility.

Before there was Bill Haley, Little Richard and Boo Hargis, there was Bo Didley and Big Joe Turner

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377461 - 12/08/13 09:06 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Anyone who makes music is a musician.................

Why put more into this question than necessary?? The basic word "music" with the suffix "ian" says it all........

#377464 - 12/08/13 09:26 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: rattley]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: rattley
Anyone who makes music is a musician.................

Why put more into this question than necessary?? The basic word "music" with the suffix "ian" says it all........

Yep...that works for me.

"Music"..."Ian"..."musician".

Ian

#377466 - 12/08/13 09:45 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
they should re name this as General Drama Forum !!!!!!!!!!

#377467 - 12/08/13 09:47 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: musicforyourday]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Nigel you should make a section on the Forum and call it General Drama so all the Drama Queens can go and argue.

Edited by musicforyourday (12/08/13 09:50 AM)

#377468 - 12/08/13 09:49 AM Re: Is a Singer a Musician ? [Re: deb]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Can't believe I read this when I should be getting ready to watch football.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online