SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#377379 - 12/07/13 09:48 AM Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Comparison of the 60sGuitarPop style and OTS Settings:

The winner to my ears is CLEARLY . . . Tyros 5 !

Why?

In addition to the impressive new Audio Drums and new DSP's, for the first time in Tyros keyboard history,
Yamaha has finally opted to stop drowning their 'voices and styles' in excess reverb.
The frustrating thing I had with Tyros 4 was the inability to remove effects because some are actually 'built in' to the sample itself.
Thankfully it seems this is no longer the case with Tyros 5. smile
That said, it would be interesting to hear a similar sound & style comparison test between Tyros 4 and 5. smile

#377385 - 12/07/13 09:59 AM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: Scottyee]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Yamaha is by no means unique in this respect. to the best of my knowledge virtually ALL arranger keyboards suffer from this reverb disease and it was the key to the success of my Resources for the PA arranger series. Of course I did a lot more than tweaking the reverbs but ootb it was always the first thing that I did to Registrations, Performances, User Progams or whatever name you fancy giving them. Unfortunately in choosing another style the arranger nearly always defaults to reverb settings of approx. 64, at least on my Korg PA800 and on many,many more arrangers. Another thing why I do not set great store by Songfinders or whatever they are called.
Finishing a product some guy at the factory just sorted out four right hand sounds ( default settings) combined them wit h style (default), adjust the tempo and pronto: another song arrangement was born. Reverb is like a good "tiramisu ". Gorgeous when eaten in the right proportions ! On drums I rarely exceed a value of 15-20, on bass I generally opt for no reverb at all, whereas I tend to drown my strings and pads in them. Amazing it took them nearly 20 years to get down to this kind of basic knowledge, truly amazing.

regards,
John

#377399 - 12/07/13 12:19 PM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: john smies]
DannyUK Offline

Interesting comparison but all it showed me really was how good the T3 still sounds even after all these years. No doubt the T5 has the additional sounds and features if someone really wishes to have them, the option is there to upgrade.

#377401 - 12/07/13 12:57 PM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: DannyUK]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Interesting comparison but all it showed me really was how good the T3 still sounds even after all these years. No doubt the T5 has the additional sounds and features if someone really wishes to have them, the option is there to upgrade.

Tyros is an evolution, still the same concept, but every version adds new things and new features.. It gets better slowly..

Butt hen there didnt happen much in the sample player technollogy of other developers, as only samples getting bigger and bigger, receiving more layers. But it is still samples playing ...

Newer technollogies like virtual instruments that simulate real instruments are slowly finding their ways to pro studios these days, but require huge amounts of processing power. Yamaha had their beatifull VL technollogy, but they somehow stopped development with that and decided to go full out on sample player technollogy.

Untill they adapt to new and other technollogies, not much is going to happen...

Same goes for styles and audio, its gonna take many years to grow to a new level, but its in the T5 and it will slowly improve over the years. Things go very slow with yamaha these days, because they have a very small research and technollogy divison, most of that has been cut away over the last decade to maximize proffits for the chairholders.

Same goes for other brands..

Its a pitty that general music didnt survive, they where creating a keyboard with audio styles (thats where ketron got their audio styles from, they took over the style developer of GEM). And sounds based on their drake 2 technollogy, which was a mix between sampling and virtuall parts.. And even full virtuallinstruments... But they never got to finish it, because of the huge costs and processor technollogy not being fast enough.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#377421 - 12/07/13 11:56 PM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Comparison of the 60sGuitarPop style and OTS Settings:

That said, it would be interesting to hear a similar sound & style comparison test between Tyros 4 and 5. smile

Doubt it Scott, nothing comes close, that's why no one will step up to the mark and play something by the Shadows on another KB, T5 nailed it again, wall to wall demo on YT

#377423 - 12/07/13 11:58 PM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: john smies]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

Yamaha is by no means unique in this respect. to the best of my knowledge virtually ALL arranger keyboards suffer from this reverb disease and it was the key to the success of my Resources for the PA arranger series. Of course I did a lot more than tweaking the reverbs but ootb it was always the first thing that I did to Registrations, Performances, User Progams or whatever name you fancy giving them. Unfortunately in choosing another style the arranger nearly always defaults to reverb settings of approx. 64, at least on my Korg PA800 and on many,many more arrangers. Another thing why I do not set great store by Songfinders or whatever they are called.
Finishing a product some guy at the factory just sorted out four right hand sounds ( default settings) combined them wit h style (default), adjust the tempo and pronto: another song arrangement was born. Reverb is like a good "tiramisu ". Gorgeous when eaten in the right proportions ! On drums I rarely exceed a value of 15-20, on bass I generally opt for no reverb at all, whereas I tend to drown my strings and pads in them. Amazing it took them nearly 20 years to get down to this kind of basic knowledge, truly amazing.

regards,
John

John,

I don't do Tirimasu these days too much booze
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#377426 - 12/08/13 12:30 AM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: Scottyee]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Just about the only major difference was the drums to my ears

#377429 - 12/08/13 01:31 AM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: spalding1968]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

" John,
I don't do Tirimasu these days too much booze "

You should give it a try though Tony, it is a lot better than the booze, on top of which you keep your senses alive and will be able to make a better judgement of all the stuff presented here. Talking of which, come off it guys , still talking about reproducing the SHADOWS ( 1960 odd) (which I happen to like by the way, having been a Cliff Richard fan for half a century now) but honestly to keep harking back to this stuff to compare new arrangers ? Besides the differences to my ears are pretty marginal here and certainly do not warrant a 2000 euro difference. ( as a matter of fact that is 4000, as going from Tyros 3 via Tyros 4 to a Tyros 5 ) that would be a more accurate estimate of what one would have forked out ....to get this minor difference..... wink

regards
John

Attachments
tiramisu.jpg

#377435 - 12/08/13 02:40 AM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: spalding1968]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Just about the only major difference was the drums to my ears

In my ears there is a difference. When jump from part to part within the video, it's not only the drums, but it sounds better all over.
I have the same feeling when listen to other demo/videos of T5 as well. Styles sounds more "live", and not as compressed and CD'ish as the other T models. smile

"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#377439 - 12/08/13 03:24 AM Re: Tyros 5 vs 3: Sound Comparison: (60's Guitar Pop) [Re: Scottyee]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Still some way to go though

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online