SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#376859 - 11/30/13 04:26 PM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My school has no unions, no tenure, no contracts. We all love it that way. Merit only - you work, you get paid. You work harder, you get more.

#376902 - 12/01/13 10:22 AM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
My school has no unions, no tenure, no contracts. We all love it that way. Merit only - you work, you get paid. You work harder, you get more.

Must be the Utopia of Education. Who decides who's working harder, who should be hired or dismissed ? How do they keep the factors I mentioned in my previous post out of it? Test scores? Oh boy, can we go off on that !!!
In 35 years working in a variety of schools in a big District I saw too much to tell me a situation like that can be fair. And back to my previous post, what if you are in a situation where you might need legal help. In todays lawsuit happy world you need that protection unless you have deep pockets to retain your own lawyers.
Union was a necessary evil.

#376904 - 12/01/13 10:42 AM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

My place is very unique, in fact, that's WHY I work there. It's non-traditional in every sense. ONE WOMAN (my boss) controls the whole show. It's a true family, and I wouldn't be there if the traditional school board tactics were in effect. My place is a one in a lifetime find, and I'm so grateful that she decided to buck the system. Unions are of no use to me. I would never strike, and I would never honor a strike if I believed that the cause was unjust. Teachers, nurses, cops ... strikes should be illegal. Just my point of view. I don't want to argue, but I firmly believe it.

#376911 - 12/01/13 12:18 PM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
If there ever was a time for the musicians union to do any good and instead failed miserably to step up was in the 70's with the advent of disco.
So many musicians lost their venues!
The union? Bah humbug

#376924 - 12/01/13 02:23 PM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

I dunno ... Disco packed every room I worked 6-7 nights a week with live dancers to live music. No electronics yet ... we played every note. The 80s was when the bands sorta "shrunk", and I began my solo career. Disco was a necessary evil - it was nothing more than a new dance craze, and some crazy fashion statements. The acid rock of the day was no better, but it sure drew different people. My crowds were dressed to the nines, spent tons of cash and socialized all night long. They danced from the first number to the last. I kinda miss it. Reminds me of the stories I heard about the big band era, when couples would hold each other at the end of a number (while they applauded) and wait for the next musical offering from the bandstand.
The same DJ's that supposedly put musicians out of work also played the bands music on the air to make the acts more popular. The way I saw it - the only musicians who were put out of work because of electronics were bad, or lazy ones. I never had to look too hard for work.
I can't tell you how many club owners complained about the bands that took "too long breaks", brought their own drinks (in coolers in their cars), never socialized with the patrons, or refused to play the hits that were requested. Playing top 40 rooms meant that we played the songs that people heard all week long on the radio. We put our own spin on them, but we had to play the top hits of the day or loose the crowd. Dance halls are not jazz clubs or coffee houses. people dictate the genre, not the other way around.
The union could have helped the local road warriors by making sure they stayed current and played proper sets. I stole many a gig from a sloppy band who forgot who payed their salary.

I agree, back in the day - the unions needed to start up to protect the weak, but they went the wrong direction, and too many people get a free ride now, and that just burns me. Unions are the equivalent of schoolyard bullies now, and I have no room in my world for anyone who's mean. Work hard - get paid. That's my rule.

#376945 - 12/01/13 06:52 PM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Once unions lost their legal ability to strike, once legislation that gave them little hope of collective bargaining was enacted (thank you, Mr. Reagan and almost everybody since), they lost the ability to work FOR you, and rapidly became a minor (or major, depending on the venue!) pain in the rear that couldn't really help you.

But yes, once upon a time, they did a lot of good.

Your rule, re-written to reflect today's reality is, 'Work hard, get paid ONLY what they are willing to give you'. And they keep the lion's share for themselves.

#376956 - 12/01/13 07:32 PM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Diki ... come live in Rhode Island and tell me the unions have no power - ESPECIALLY the State workers unions !!! frown

And someone should tell the teachers' union they cannot go out on strike ...

Edited by tony mads usa (12/01/13 07:35 PM)

#376979 - 12/02/13 06:39 AM Re: FYI : Roadies for a OMB ??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
My place is very unique, in fact, that's WHY I work there. It's non-traditional in every sense. ONE WOMAN (my boss) controls the whole show. It's a true family, and I wouldn't be there if the traditional school board tactics were in effect. My place is a one in a lifetime find, and I'm so grateful that she decided to buck the system. Unions are of no use to me. I would never strike, and I would never honor a strike if I believed that the cause was unjust. Teachers, nurses, cops ... strikes should be illegal. Just my point of view. I don't want to argue, but I firmly believe it.

You ARE in the Utopia of Education. It does sound like a once in a lifetime find. Do they have any openings ?? LOL !! I may have stayed in my job a while longer if not for the Administrative nonsense. I miss the interaction with the kids, kept me on my toes.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online