Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#376918 - 12/01/13 01:57 PM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: Dreamer]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
Originally Posted By: Dreamer
Originally Posted By: Sokratis 1974

I'm sorry if I said something bad frown My apologies......I had no such intentions ....

Sokratis,

there is nothing to apologize for; you are not only a musician, but also a sound engineer with first hand experience on the field and thus much more entitled and qualified to express your opinion compared with many others, self proclaimed experts.
I actually wish that you could post more, both here and on the Ketron Forum, because I, for one, value greatly your input.
smile

Thank you very much my friend!!!!!!

Edit of my previous post:

This style https://soundcloud.com/sokratis-1974/ketron-audya-soul-gospel I create for (AJAMSONIC Project)
Produced and Designed by AJAMSONIC,.

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (12/01/13 02:07 PM)

#376942 - 12/01/13 06:40 PM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I agree that a real drummer has a vast range of timber and nuance at his fingertips... But a real guitarist, a real pianist, a real violinist and a real just about ANYTHING has the exact same degree of nuance.

Yet we use sampled recreations of THOSE sounds quite happily. And they keep getting better and better all the time, as keyboards have ever larger and larger ROM sizes, for more and more samples. To be quite honest, I think, if you listen to some of the better drum VSTi's out there, you will find yourself VERY hard pressed to tell that they aren't live drumming. Sure, one or two samples for a ride cymbal simply is not enough to fool anyone. But 24-48 or so? Pretty hard to tell that from the real thing. You even have 'round robin' triggering on some of the better VSTi's, so if you send it an old MIDI file or style where every single note of a drum sound is at the same velocity, the VSTi will alternate between several different (but similarly recorded) samples, so you don't get the machine gun effect.

So, if you put the sample count up high enough, basically the only way a listener can tell if it is a machine is if the programming of the groove is appalling. Which, if they are triggered by real drummers on a MIDI drum kit, should not be the case.

So, once again, I disagree that audio drum loops is the BEST way to get better drum grooves in arrangers. If arrangers start to have MUCH larger sample counts for the drum kits (which some of them already are, albeit in a bit limited fashion so far) and the grooves are played by real drummers on TOTL MIDI drum kits, you get SO close to the sound of the audio loop, it is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing.

BUT...

The advantage of doing this rather than loops is obvious. For starters, every single style you have can use these improved KITS. Not just the paltry few that come with your arranger that have audio loops. And while you can take the audio drums of one style, and copy them over to another style, you can't do a damn thing about the mix, the sound, the groove, the kit, the ambience. They are all written in stone.

But a VSTi quality MIDI drum kit can do the exact same thing we already can do... Maybe you want the style the way it is, but with brushes instead of sticks? Maybe you want a piccolo snare instead of that fatty maple? Maybe you'd like to have the style swing a bit, rather than be four square? Maybe you'd like the toms a bit wetter?

Can't do ANY of that to an audio loop.

It all boils down to prioritization... The arranger manufacturers have spent a FORTUNE trying to get more and more realism and accuracy out of the sounds we PLAY... amazing sax sounds, guitar sounds, B3 sounds, grand piano and Rhodes's. But sadly, the drum section hasn't QUITE got the same love. But rather than suck it up, and add a bunch of ROM to significantly increase the drum sound range (the more samples, the more dynamics and nuance), Ketron first, and now Yamaha are diving into the audio loop solution. I think it's a mistake.

You want realism in arranger drums? You can have it without painting yourselves into a corner with loops. You can have it without ANY of the shortcomings of audio loops. But you have GOT to do it with better kits.

Loops are a dead end. The future is sampled kits. They just have to get bigger in size, just as out sampled pianos had to, or our sampled saxes had to, or our guitar sounds had to.

#376960 - 12/01/13 08:19 PM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: DannyUK]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

I think that AJ brought the solo sounds on the Audya close to if not on par with the Yamaha voices. His demos tell the full story.

Keep well all,

Henni

#376964 - 12/01/13 10:04 PM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: DannyUK]
Henni Offline

By the way,

I'm really amazed by the number of members upgrading or considering upgrading to the Ajamsonic Audya - some who will NEVER admit doing so over here doing it in any case in secret...

You made the right choice my friends & I guarantee you will not regret it. I do not even get butterflies in my tummy when I listen to the T5 demos - yes, it's really good, but nothing that wants me to upgrade(or would that be downgrade - smile...) from what I have.

All the best my friends,

Henni

#376965 - 12/01/13 10:07 PM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: Diki]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Sorry,
I beg to differ.

#376966 - 12/01/13 10:25 PM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: Dreamer]
Henni Offline

Hi Dreamer,

I guess it's all up to how one uses ones arranger. I'm no good at playing complicated solos with my right hand - I utilize the styles to it's fullest instead.

On top of this, I could never play like those in the T5 demos, especially in that one hour long demo. That guy is in a class of his own - his hands can move as fast as his brain & he has a VERY good brain. I would like to hear him make the Ajamsonic Audya "talk". He'll put it in the class it deserves...

So for me, it's all about how the voices sound in the styles. And here, really, apart from the new DSP guitars on the T5, I'm still more than happy with my Ajamsonic Audya. And I still think the existing new guitars in the Ajamsonic Audya can be made to sound like those of the T5 in the styles as it already includes all these effects. I'ts just a matter of better programming.

I'm not running the T5 short in the least, but what I've seen & heard thus far do not make want to upgrade in the least from what I currently have. I listened to every single demo I could find on the T5 direct on my Audya (good playback quality), & immediately after that listened to some Audya demos. The T5 demos do not impress me more than the Audya demos...

On top of this, AJ is constantly adding to his conversion - there's much to come from him still, even in the voices. He already reproduced some of the Yamaha voices accurately like i.e. the vocals, bagpipes, trumpets etc. And Ketron is working on the new Audya which should be released sometime in 2014...

We have much, much to look forward to!

All the best mate,

Henni

#376968 - 12/02/13 12:34 AM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: DannyUK]
Dreamer Offline

Henni,

my reply wasn't directed to you but instead to Diki. I hate being long winded, but I guess that in this case I was maybe too concise.
To expound a little more (without becoming long winded), it all boils down to what you are after: Diki obviously craves for control and to be perfectly happy needs to control every aspect of the music recording process. I, on the other hand, look for authenticity and here nothing can beat a recorded loop.
And let me add something: the more a drum kit becomes complex, the less it's interchangeable with others. On my Kronos I have a drum kit made just of congas samples; on an ordinary kit there would be just three keys dedicated to the congas, but here you have more than three octaves of congas sampled in every possible way: not only high, low and slap (or mute) but played with the palm, the finger, sliding the hand, etc. The Kronos has also midi loops specific for this kit, and they sound amazingly real, ALMOST like a sampled loop, but of course they sound like total cr@p when played with another drum kit.
So my point is: if you want authenticity nothing beats a sampled loop; if, on the other hand, you are after control... good luck with the drum kits.

#376971 - 12/02/13 01:07 AM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: Henni]
Dreamer Offline

Henni,

this one is directed to you. smile
I think that the Audya has some interesting and even unique sounds (like the organs), and they have more guts (or balls) compared with the Tyros, but overall the Tyros has still the edge, sound wise. I have heard the Midjay Pro demo's and, even if they say that it has a new DSP, am somewhat unconvinced. Where the Audya shines is of course in the style department and for this reason I am seriously considering a second hand Audya 4.
Finally, considering the way Ketron keeps datelines (the Midjay Pro was officially announced in 2012), I think that it's unrealistic to expect a new Audya in 2014 and, even if this was the case, I would never buy one before they iron out all the bugs (this process is still not yet completed in the current Audya).
All the best.

#376972 - 12/02/13 01:26 AM Re: KETRON AUDYA Styles '70-'80 [Re: DannyUK]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
The problem is that ROM memory of the arrangers are still sooo far away from the serious VSTi that the audio loops might be an easier solution for now.

But I rather agree with what Diki said. The whole point of using MIDI signal chain is to be able to adjust, modify and tweak after your heart desire. With AUDIO you gain realism (for this stage cannot be beaten) but all those possibilities of changing are gone. Some will preffer this, as they don't care much for tweaks, but it's a shame to loose that.

The HiQ drum VTSi are the prove that realistic sample is possible and a better way.

IMO, even a partnership of let's say Roland with let's say SWW for Drum Core will improve every aspect of drumming in an arranger, while avoiding re-invent the wheel with all the R%D investments. But this is merely an example, Roland is actually doing very well with drums in BK9 I believe.

So, I'd vote for large samples and larger memory and flexibility.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online