SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#376683 - 11/28/13 10:16 PM Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday.
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi All,

After a lot of deliberation, comparisons and thought I finally took the plunge and bought the PSR-S950 and Im glad so far if not very fresh as I have been mostly awake last night playing around with it. As expected, I went ahead and bought a Behringer B210D powered speaker and a Behringer Xenyx 1002 mixer too. I got a good bundled price. So...now my thoughts so far about the board.

1) As a step up from the S900..whoaaaa its a huge step ahead. Everything sounds great if not superbly excellent.The speakers are crisp and do not jar at high volumes.

2) I realise that I need to do a lot of tweaking to get the sound right which I will in due course.

3) I loved the Indian expansion styles and voices which came built in. very much usable in my case.

4) Sorely miss a VH on/off button. I have to go into the menu and toggle it from there.

5) One thing which was strange is that the DSP on the mic needs to be enabled everytime. It doesnt stay constant. Or maybe I do not know how to do it. On my S900 whenever I put on the board the DSP settings for the MIC remained the same. Never needed to change it.

6) Audio styles are strictly OK. I still saw myself using a lot of the bread butter styles.

7) Dance styles are much better compared to the S900 and quite usable.

8) The Audio function is good. Vocal Cancel is a mixed bag of sorts. Usability in a live scenario is questionable without raining some eyebrows in the audience smile

9) Another observation was that when I inserted a USB drive with 32GB and full of MP3 folders, I could see only a few folders and not all files. Wonder why. Probably I need to format the drive in the board first.

10) I downloaded some converted from TYROS4 styles from PSRTutorial and they are absolutely fab. Everything sounds fine.

Well...thats it for now. I think I made the right choice and will come back with more about the S950 experience.

Your inputs eould be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Sunny smile

#376689 - 11/29/13 02:58 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: sunster]
Dnj Offline

Great Choice!!!! Good Luck

#376690 - 11/29/13 03:04 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: sunster]
nbnserge Offline

Hi Sunster

You made a very good choice

You have an interesting article below : it is possible to load samples of ethnic or exotic custom made voices into the S950.
with 2 videos

They can do it on the Yamaha PSR S750 and S950

all the latest posts

Edited by nbnserge (11/29/13 03:10 AM)

#376691 - 11/29/13 03:30 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: nbnserge]
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Thanks for the comments and wishes.

Please help me with the MIC dsp settings: One thing which was strange is that the DSP on the mic needs to be enabled everytime. It doesnt stay constant. Or maybe I do not know how to do it. On my S900 whenever I put on the board the DSP settings for the MIC remained the same. Never needed to change it.Here the MIC DSP gets grayed the moment I change a VH type or something else. I want the DSP for the MIC to stay the same regardless of what else I do. Can this be achieved?

Thanks

Sunny

#376693 - 11/29/13 05:31 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: nbnserge]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Sunster,

Very good choice, I purchsed an S950 about 3 months ago and I think it's a fantastic keyboard. Hope you enjoy it!

Hi nbnserge,

I read the article regarding loading samples on the S950 but I can't find the email address to request some voice file samples to try?

Thanks,
Danny

#376706 - 11/29/13 09:14 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: sunster]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As I recall, the key to setting the mic with the 950 is to set up everything as you want it, then save your favorite Vocal Harmony setup. It seems to remember everything. Of course you have to call it up when you first power on.
It works differently from previous PSRs.

#376721 - 11/29/13 09:56 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: sunster]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, there are some differences, but not many. The ability to save the information to a user area, however, is new.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#376724 - 11/29/13 10:01 AM Re: Yippee!! My new PSR-S950 arrived yesterday. [Re: travlin'easy]
nbnserge Offline

@DannyUK
Hi Danny
you have my email address at the end of the article

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online