SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#376280 - 11/24/13 11:39 AM BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great..
DannyUK Offline

Diki, after your recommendation I managed to find this small video (wished there were more), but this sounds really good. I ideally wanted to hear something a bit more mellow but the quality of this style is pretty impressive.

#376335 - 11/25/13 12:22 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: DannyUK]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Sounds like a watered down version of XV5080 synth sounds played back with cotton stuck in my ears. Typical Roland to utilize sounds from their high end devices, resample them at lower rates, and put them in a cheaper unit using really poor AD/DA's. At least it's not expensive so I'm sure it will sell well.

#376340 - 11/25/13 01:48 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

#376343 - 11/25/13 02:58 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: ianmcnll]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Hey, you're eating them all leave me some !!!

#376345 - 11/25/13 03:01 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: Ensnareyou]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
Sounds like a watered down version of XV5080 synth sounds played back with cotton stuck in my ears. Typical Roland to utilize sounds from their high end devices, resample them at lower rates, and put them in a cheaper unit using really poor AD/DA's. At least it's not expensive so I'm sure it will sell well.

Oh ok I wish I didn't bother posting this! I think it sounds fine to me.

Btw does the Audya & Korg contain chillout / ambient styles? The last Korg I owned was a PA1X and I didn't recall it having any back then. Great keyboard though.

#376346 - 11/25/13 03:30 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: DannyUK]
Ensnareyou Offline

Danny,

It sounds fine. Problem is if you own an XV5080 and played the BK9 side by side, you'd hear the audio quality differences.

Roland, Yamaha, and Korg often take sounds from their top gear, resample them at lower bandwidths, put them into a cheaper design, then run it all through mediocre converters to save costs. It gives the guy who can only spend $1k a similar sound to the guy who spent $3k on his synth. Usually minus bells and whistles and at a significant sacrifice in audio quality.

#376353 - 11/25/13 06:29 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: Ensnareyou]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Ensnareyou
Danny,

It sounds fine. Problem is if you own an XV5080 and played the BK9 side by side, you'd hear the audio quality differences.

Roland, Yamaha, and Korg often take sounds from their top gear, resample them at lower bandwidths, put them into a cheaper design, then run it all through mediocre converters to save costs. It gives the guy who can only spend $1k a similar sound to the guy who spent $3k on his synth. Usually minus bells and whistles and at a significant sacrifice in audio quality.

Lee, speaking about the xv5080..I purchased one when they came on the market, to use with the G1000..
They were like neighborhood kids..they did not play well together.. smile
The 5080 could not keep up with the G1000..it glitched all over the place..I used the G1000 with other modules (jv1010) with better results.
I was really disappointed..I thought the xv5080 was a perfect concept for my needs..but it didn't work out..

#376361 - 11/25/13 08:50 AM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: DannyUK]
Ensnareyou Offline

Fran,

I've never had issue with my XV5080 and it's been an integral module in my rack for a long, long time. I forget exactly when I purchased it new but I know it hadn't been on the market very long. They did have a few software updates but as I recall those were to allow better use of Akai samples and internal fx. I'm sure there were bug fixes as well but I never ran across a bug in mine. I was running expansion cards, Akai samples, multi FX, and using it as a multitimbral device daily. I can't imagine how I could of worked it any harder. Maybe you got a bum one? It happens.

I've always liked the internal sounds of most of Roland's modules and keyboards be it high end or low range, I just couldn't get past the poor converters and low bandwidth on their lower end units in my studio. For live they were sufficient but in the studio I wasn't willing to EQ the hell out of them just to open up the sound. Why be forced to run a $1k module through my $3k+ Neve or Manley EQ? That defeated the purpose of the low cost module.

Edited by Ensnareyou (11/25/13 08:53 AM)

#376462 - 11/26/13 12:20 PM Re: BK-9 Synth & Pad Style - Diki this sounds great.. [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Er... Low cost gear doesn't sound as good as expensive gear?

Wow! Shocking....

Who knew?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online