SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#376201 - 11/23/13 05:34 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just how old do you have to be to have big band music as a primary influence? Let's take a look... The last big band music that made any impact on our charts (apart from the odd novelty hit) would have been in the 50's. To actually be old enough to go out and listen to it much (and enjoy dancing with the ladies!) you would have had to be in your early twenties, probably. So...

Born in the 30's, maybe 40's. How old does that make them now? 70's to 80's.

I'm just not sure that steering a buying decision about a musical instrument by how well it plays music that 70 and 80+ year old people like is that smart a decision..!

TBH, even the fixation with the Shadows type guitar sounds is for the elderly, primarily. If you are in your 40's and 50's, what generation of music did you grow up with (and what your general audience listened to when THEY were growing up)? I would probably be correct in saying, for this forum, the seventies. Not even a TRACE of bigband then! Maybe some sixties, but I bet it was more rock and roll, and the Beatles, than it was with Ray Conniff!

If Yamaha continue to promote high end arrangers as toys for the elderly, how long is it going to be before they lose ALL relevance for the young? TBH, already have, IMO.

Now, don't get me wrong... I think that there's much about the TOTL Yamaha thoat could do superb modern music, or even music from the 70's and 80's. I can only imagine some EWF or BST, Chicago etc., using those ensemble horns... Fantastic! But what do we get, from a YOUNG performer at that? Take the A Train? What?!

All I can do is point out what happened to the 'home organ'... gradually, they became more and more expensive, and less and less relevant to young players, and now they are as dead as the dodo. I see the exact same path being taken by Yamaha. Sure, short term, you might keep going. But those 70 and 80 year old buyers won't be above ground that long...

Time for the arranger industry to cut them loose, and go after the generation that will see them through the next 30 years or more. And you aren't going to bring them out in droves playing that old folk's home stuff!

#376206 - 11/23/13 06:01 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

over 50 is considered elderly now or didnt you know that .....?

#376210 - 11/23/13 06:11 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am, I do... LOL

But let's face it... Born in the mid 50's, probably YOUR musical influences (not your parents' or grandparents' records) started in the mid-60's. And were heaviest in the 70's.

If you want to sell arrangers to the CURRENT crop of the 'elderly' (as we like to call ourselves!), time to stop showing them off with 30's, 40's, and 50's music. And maybe play something from OUR youth, not our grandparents' youth!

#376217 - 11/23/13 06:23 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I am, I do... LOL

But let's face it... Born in the mid 50's, probably YOUR musical influences (not your parents' or grandparents' records) started in the mid-60's. And were heaviest in the 70's.

If you want to sell arrangers to the CURRENT crop of the 'elderly' (as we like to call ourselves!), time to stop showing them off with 30's, 40's, and 50's music. And maybe play something from OUR youth, not our grandparents' youth!

only way thats gonna happen is when were dead and gone id say about 40/50 years hang in there...meanwhile play a nice waltz..lol

#376222 - 11/23/13 07:25 PM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I played and sang Annie's Song today at a retirement community when someone requested a waltz. There were a dozen extremely attractive young college girls there who were volunteering to serve snack and beverages to the residents during the performance, and dance with some of the residents. They absolutely loved the song and thought it was something brand new. Those girls ranged 22 to 26 years of age, knew a lot of the songs I performed and sang right along with me. I was really impressed with their musical knowledge. And, when I performed Hot Hot Hot, they formed a monster conga line with the residents - WOW! I love my job, but most of all, I love my audiences.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#376276 - 11/24/13 11:07 AM Re: Ian Rocks the 'House' with these Tyros 5 Demos [Re: travlin'easy]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
organ

That Classical Organ Demo rocked! Loved the sound of those BIG pipes!! Better watch the volume on that voice.........Bet it could bring the roof down!!

I'm getting more impatient waiting for my Tyros 5. These vids are just fueling my............ -charley

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online