SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#376108 - 11/23/13 05:12 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The main reason I didn't bother getting a VL-1 was the button type keyboard...of course, the sounds were rather cheesy, but, sometimes that's just what a song needs, as illustrated in the video clip.

Today's arrangers are phenomenal, with all their incredibly realistic sounding (and very expressive) SA/SA2, DNC, and SuperNatural sounds.

I bet a lot of VL-1's ended up in Xmas stockings, and no doubt, the first tune played was "Joy To The World".

Ian

#376114 - 11/23/13 07:21 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: john smies]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

All very well but was this not about the Casio VL-1 ?

Actually I had one ( still have come to think of it) and used it on some recordings. I have uploaded one of those so brace yourselves ! smile

I used two Sony tape recorders to pingpong the recordings. The drums are from an L.P. on which an LA session drummer did his stuff ( series of five called DrumDrops) so you had to play along with the drummer so to speak. The leadsinging was my girfriend's at the time.....those were the days smile

Mind you my current PA800 and Tyros 4 don't sound too bad either smile smile

https://app.box.com/s/btrfdd92o0l6jhnojw63

regards,
John

Ahh ! Felicita...great recording John!! Al Bano classic... My dad has played and recorded this many times himself, he knows all the Italian classic artists but his number one is Adriano Celentano followed by Little Tony.

#376116 - 11/23/13 07:25 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: ianmcnll]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
The main reason I didn't bother getting a VL-1 was the button type keyboard...of course, the sounds were rather cheesy, but, sometimes that's just what a song needs, as illustrated in the video clip.
Ian

This is where I will need a lesson in history!!! So, to the other extreme, can anybody remember what were the TOTL model of keyboards of the day when this Casio was released? What was Yamaha churning out them days? I'm only guessing but was the PSR-500 anywhere near this era? My dad owned a PSR-500 actually and I think he only recently got rid of it whilst having a clear out!

Edited by DannyUK (11/23/13 07:29 AM)

#376119 - 11/23/13 07:50 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Ian

This is where I will need a lesson in history!!! So, to the other extreme, can anybody remember what were the TOTL model of keyboards of the day when this Casio was released? What was Yamaha churning out them days? I'm only guessing but was the PSR-500 anywhere near this era? My dad owned a PSR-500 actually and I think he only recently got rid of it whilst having a clear out!

The VL1 came out about 1981 during the organ/analogue synthesiser heyday, so the Easy Play (Arranger) keyboards were few and far between.

Bill

#376131 - 11/23/13 09:25 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Danny,

In 1981-83 there were only a few Yamaha portable arrangers, and, of course, they were based somewhat on bits of the Electone Technology.

1981: PS-10, PS-20, PS-30.

1982: PS-30B, PS-3(I), PC-100, PSS-30, MP-1 (had a music score printer built in), PS-300.

1983: PC-50, PS-35, PS-35S, PS-55 (PCM drums), PS-55S, PC-1000, MK-100

The PS-6100 came out in 1984, and was pretty cool for the day. It used the current at the time FM synthesis to make the preset sounds and also, like the earlier PS-55, had PCM drums.

The PSR-500 didn't come out till 1991, and the PSR-410/510 in 1993.

Quite a few of the earlier Yamaha and Casio keyboards became popular with the "circuit bent" crowd, and were modified in all kinds of cool (and strange) ways.

What we play today is pretty amazing, considering their origins.

Ian

#376133 - 11/23/13 09:53 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: ianmcnll]
DannyUK Offline

Danny,

The PSR-500 didn't come out till 1991, and the PSR-410/510 in 1993.

What we play today is pretty amazing, considering their origins.

Ian

Wow I was pretty way out with the PSR-500, 10 years out infact, how embarrassing!!!

Oh gosh what we play today is on another planet and we have to realise how lucky we are that we can create incredible music with relatively simple ease.

In the early 80's my dad had an Elka organ in the lounge, I think it was the Elka E30 which I remember playing a lot.. that was my very first introduction to anything with keys!!! I still remember those rotary effects and it's cool rhythms.. !

Edited by DannyUK (11/23/13 09:53 AM)

#376138 - 11/23/13 10:33 AM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

Danny, you can view the history of Yamaha products here, in case you haven't already found it.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/chron.php

We used an Elka Rhapsody, a sort of strings synth in one of the bands I played in many years ago...the guitar player owned it...he probably still has it.

It did the synth strings pretty good, especially for those Disco type tunes.

Ian

#376161 - 11/23/13 01:48 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I purchased the second PSR500 that came to Maryland, right after seeing a guy performing with the first one sold here. He was doing a restaurant job and rocked the place. The following year, I purchased a PSR-5700 from Washington Music in Rockville, MD. That keyboard was well ahead of its time in many respects and I really enjoyed the wonderful piano and vibes sounds it provided. That same year, I was playing the same restaurant job where the guy with the PSR-500 played and stayed there for two years before moving on the the American Legion in Havre de Grace, MD where I played every Friday night for the next 7 years. I can't remember the year I switched to the Roland G-800, and the Korg I3, but neither keyboard was with me for very long before I went back to Yamaha. That Roland had some great styles, but I never really liked the right hand voices. Same was true with the I3. I then purchased a PSR-630, PSR-740, PSR-2000, PSR-3000 and now I'm having a ball with the PSR-S950. I just hope I can work a couple more years before failing lungs force me to retire.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#376176 - 11/23/13 03:35 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I bought something like this in 1980. It was a white Casio with really small keys and limited settings....$210.00, I believe, which appeared to be a little pricy, even though it was a new item. I was playing an Electone at the time at the Campbell house, with a string machine of some kind on the top. The string machine stopped working one night, and I hooked the little Casio up via the earphone jack.

R.

#376180 - 11/23/13 04:04 PM Re: Forget the T5, there is where it's at!! Classic :) [Re: travlin'easy]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I purchased the second PSR500 that came to Maryland, right after seeing a guy performing with the first one sold here. He was doing a restaurant job and rocked the place. The following year, I purchased a PSR-5700 from Washington Music in Rockville, MD. That keyboard was well ahead of its time in many respects and I really enjoyed the wonderful piano and vibes sounds it provided. That same year, I was playing the same restaurant job where the guy with the PSR-500 played and stayed there for two years before moving on the the American Legion in Havre de Grace, MD where I played every Friday night for the next 7 years. I can't remember the year I switched to the Roland G-800, and the Korg I3, but neither keyboard was with me for very long before I went back to Yamaha. That Roland had some great styles, but I never really liked the right hand voices. Same was true with the I3. I then purchased a PSR-630, PSR-740, PSR-2000, PSR-3000 and now I'm having a ball with the PSR-S950. I just hope I can work a couple more years before failing lungs force me to retire.

Gary cool

You've certainly gone through some keyboards! One thing I've noticed missing from your keyboard inventory was a TOTL from Yamaha!? Not even an 8000 or 9000!? How comes you passed them by? I had the 8000 and I was amazed by it's sheer sound quality.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online