SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#375513 - 11/17/13 01:27 AM External speakers + MS04 speakers for Tyros4
sam.safran
Unregistered

I have purchased a stereo set of powered, external speakers (120 W RMS) that are in a bookcase about 15 feet in back of my music bench. The MS04 Tyros4 speakers are connected and project the sound towards the player while the bookcase speakers are in the back of the player (but project well to any people listening in the room). If I attach those speakers to the Main outputs, they nicely reproduce (at the back of the room) the MS04 sounds which come from the front of the room. I tried to get an even more spacious sound by connecting the bookcase speakers to the sub1 and sub2 outputs for the right hand sounds only. I thought that in this way, the melody will be more nicely separated spatially from the accompaniment all of which are output to the MS04 speakers. However, as stated in the manual, the sub1 and sub2 outputs do NOT send the reverb to the bookcase speakers and the right hand sounds are too "flat" without the reverb. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can use my speaker system (no surround sound or reverb switches are found on the bookcase speakers) to get only the melody including reverb from the extra speakers?

Thanks,

Sam

#375531 - 11/17/13 07:31 AM Re: External speakers + MS04 speakers for Tyros4 [Re: ]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
You can run powered speakers out of the main left and right output and still run the ms 4 system and have a full sound with out any loss .

#375604 - 11/18/13 12:55 AM Re: External speakers + MS04 speakers for Tyros4 [Re: ]
sam.safran
Unregistered

Thanks. But I realize that one can output all the sounds to the main outputs. I am trying to split the sounds among the speakers: Using the Mixing Console (Tab to Line Out) you can direct different parts of the Tyros to different speakers. Thus, for example, the styles and midi could play through the main line outs and the right hand voices can play through the sub1 and sub2 line outs. If you have 4 speakers, as I do (the MS04 and two other powered speakers at the back on the room), the styles would be heard through one set and the right hand voices would be heard through the other set (placed at the back of the room). This would indeed give a type of surround sound. It actually works and gives a realistic separation of the "solos" (right hand voices) from the "back up band" (the style parts), BUT for some reason Yamaha decided that sub1 and sub2 do not output the reverb Thus, the right hand voices are quite "dry" with no reverb. I was wondering if there were a solution for this, since if possible, it would give the Tyros4 great spatial separation of the various parts of the band if one connects 4 sets of speakers (two from the MS04 and two from the sub1 and sub2). Hope it is clear now and that someone has a suggestion.

#375610 - 11/18/13 05:04 AM Re: External speakers + MS04 speakers for Tyros4 [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Most boards act this way. The only solution I can think of (for your situation) is to put a small effects unit between the 'sub1/sub2' and the powered speakers (even an inexpensive one is probably as good as the onboard one). Cumbersome yes, with an extra 'box' to carry and hook up, but would work.

chas

#375615 - 11/18/13 06:44 AM Re: External speakers + MS04 speakers for Tyros4 [Re: cgiles]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Most boards act this way. The only solution I can think of (for your situation) is to put a small effects unit between the 'sub1/sub2' and the powered speakers (even an inexpensive one is probably as good as the onboard one). Cumbersome yes, with an extra 'box' to carry and hook up, but would work.

chas

Here is a review of my little Alesis NanoVerb:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/aug96/alesisnanoverb.html

and
http://alesis.com/nanoverb

Ian

#375638 - 11/18/13 02:10 PM Re: External speakers + MS04 speakers for Tyros4 [Re: ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, everything sent to each sub out would get the EXACT same reverb, chorus, delay, whatever you put on it. Inside the box, sent to the main outputs, each part can have what you want at whatever level you want...

If you want greater separation, why not simply pan hard right or left? You could have the backing in stereo like usual, pan the RH voices hard right, and LH voices hard left. Voilą!

Subs have always been primarily for separating something out like the bass or guitars, and sending them to their own amp and effects. But chas is right... Virtually NOTHING can have any part sent to any output with it's full insert and send effects on it. That implies a full set of independent insert and most importantly, send effects for every single Part. Most keyboards share the reverb/chorus/delay sends to one 'unit', so the piano gets sent to the same reverb as the horns, for instance. If you want the horns on a separate out with their own reverb, you can't use the built0in, because the piano is in it too!

Using external boxes for effecting the Parts you send to the sub outs is going to involve you in a lot of MIDI programming (so they get the correct effect and wet/dry balance called up for each Performance), or a lot of knob and button pushing, calling them all up by hand...

Me, I'd stick to stereo. Just put your speakers as far apart as possible.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online