SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#375625 - 11/18/13 12:29 PM From PA600 to BK-5
jp47 Offline

Loc: Québec Can.
I recently bought a BK-5 to replace my PA600 and just want to share observations
for amateurs hobbyist like me playing at home.

I did the switch mainly because of the lack of styles and how they sound on
the PA600, just got tired of tweaking. My wife and I play mostly jazz, swing and latin.
For instance we wanted to play Take 5 put I could not find a decent 5/4 style on the Korg, in
less than 10 minutes I have found half a dozen for the BK on the net. When we first heard
the BK-5 we both said: Wow! that's what we wanted, way better than the PA600.

Out of 24 songs in our repertoire, 21 were already in performances list and they all sound
great, the remaning were in the songs I had downloaded (around 1500 at the moment).
The PA had much less and only a few were good for us.

Don't get me wrong the PA600 is a very good arranger in that price range. It has more good
sounds than the BK-5 except for drums, bass and maybe piano. The PA600 as better styles
for country, pop, dance, rock and funk(more punch), but we don't do these styles. The touch
screen is plus but Roland way is quite easy too.

I wanted to share this because many of the comments on this forum are made by accomplish
musicians and some very passionate who tends to bash lower priced arranger and sometime
a company. I understand that they have different needs but I had read so many bad comments
last year about the BK-5 that I was nervous when I got it, after buying it without trying it,
now I just love it.

#375627 - 11/18/13 12:47 PM Re: From PA600 to BK-5 [Re: jp47]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Hi.I used to have bk5.I did the opposite .I sold bk5 and bought pa600.
You are right about bk5 styles.Lots of really good once.I still miss them.
One thing I didn't like was a workflow.Every style I use I will edit.Sounds too.
All styles and sounds you store on usb..When you think about it it should be great, because there is no limit too how many you can store.But, I think that is a biggest flaw of all bk keyboards too.I ended up stop using almost all panels for styles and sounds too.And there is already shortage of buttons.

If you don't edit a lot than it's great.Bk5 styles are still one of my favorites out of all styles.Korg guys should hire Roland style guys.

As long as you enjoy and instrument is working for you, than it's great.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online