SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#375602 - 11/17/13 11:53 PM Diki, how's BK-9 as multitimbral?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Hi Diki,

There's something I wanted to ask for a while now, but did not have much time available lately... But here it is:

1. How's BK9 as mutlitimbral? How easy is to plug it in, open a DAW (Cubase, Podium, whatever) create MIDI tracks with content and use it as a sound module?

2. You might remember what I said a while ago about recording the harmony voices and use them as audio loops with the Audio Keys.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/367044/Could_be_BK_9_used_for_this#Post367044

Could this a reasonable use of this feature?

3. When using the stick, is the Modulation just on/off thing (like with E60) or is it a multi-step system (like Korg)?

4. Can the internal styles be replaced, as the procedure for E60?

I know that roland-arranger.com could be a better place for this, but I thought maybe some other users might want to know.

Thanks, so please let me know the answers when you have a minute! Take care,

Adi

#375636 - 11/18/13 01:52 PM Re: Diki, how's BK-9 as multitimbral? [Re: adimatis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
1. It's pretty straightforward as a MIDI sound source for a DAW/Sequencer. 16 channels in and out. It probably helps to have a Performance called up, as this makes easier the 5 MFX insert effects routing (there's probably some sys-ex you can use to externally change the routing, but this seems a lot easier!), plus you can Link it to a particular MIDI Setup, so you can determine in/out channel reception, etc..

On the whole, no problems.

I still recommend doing your initial style rough 'capture' using the internal Sequencer though, then saving and transferring the SMF to your DAW for fine tuning there. I still think the accuracy of the capture is better inside the box rather than over USB or MIDI. This was how it was with the G70, and honestly, most things I've tried.

2. Yes, that seems a doable scenario. I'd shoot for .WAV's or .AIFF's rather than MP3's, because they push the processor less hard if you tempo or pitch change the loop. Overall, for the best sync, I wouldn't want to move the audio away from it's original pitch and tempo, if you want to do loops that are really long. Plus, they sound better than MP3's and today's USB sticks are large enough to be able to use full bandwidth audio without filling up too soon..

3. The lever has NEVER been straight on/off. It has always been capable of being shaded. The problem some have with it is it can be quite short throw, so you have to practice not simply yanking it up fully if you don't want maximum modulation. If you ever played something that felt on/off, it was probably faulty.

4. No, unfortunately, there's no access to the internal ROM styles' folder, like you could with the E/G series. Maybe at some time in the future, a user much smarter than me could hack the ROMbin file that loads them all up, but this is beyond my abilities! However, even on the E/G series, you could only replace a ROM style with one named IDENTICALLY to the ROM one, so it really was only of use in storing your style 'tweaks', not in replacing one style with another totally different one (unless you named it after the old style). It was a DB thing...

#375664 - 11/18/13 10:54 PM Re: Diki, how's BK-9 as multitimbral? [Re: adimatis]
adimatis Offline

Thanks, I appreciate you replying!

I am exploring the differences between BK9 and Pa900. There are some very appealing features to each one of them, some strong and weak points to both and I tell you, you cannot win something without loosing something else. Of course it's a matter of getting used to the tools, in a sense it's no debate over subject.

It's just too bad these instruments are not easily accessible in my area. I know it is the same all over. There's nothing like testing and getting the flavor of each one of them. Reading the forums or watching YouTube only leaves you wanting.

The best thing about BK9, or at least the one that makes it special in my view, is the AudioKey feature. That only is a good enough reason for prospecting it. I think the next big step will be when not only tempo but pitch will be adjustable and playable in real time, so a (even user produced) loop will be available to use in perfect sync with the onboard style. I don't know if the actual processing power would be enough for that,
but I see it happening. Roland will be smart doing that. Would even match Audya (to a point...)!

Pa900 gives a lot for the money. Nothing revolutionary really, but packed with features. But again, there are things I still cannot adjust to. Great sounds though.

Thank you!

Adi

#375688 - 11/19/13 09:20 AM Re: Diki, how's BK-9 as multitimbral? [Re: adimatis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Both are great arrangers.

It basically comes down to a sampler vs. easy audio loops (not sure if the PA900 can put audio loops up on the multipads, or whether they tempo stretch), as much of the rest of the feature set compares fairly evenly.

Then it's 76 vs. 61.

For me, that alone is the decider. I play a LOT of piano stuff, and simply cannot handle being cramped down to a 61. Plus I like a fair bit of room for each side of a split.

Well, that, and that I've got a huge library of Roland Styles, and SMF's optimized to Roland. But either arranger is good.

#376463 - 11/26/13 12:28 PM Re: Diki, how's BK-9 as multitimbral? [Re: adimatis]
adimatis Offline

THanks.

Could you tell me please is it possible to compose a style in the computer and export it to BK9, or is it exclusively an on-board option? I don't think I've seen anything about it in the manual (I might be wrong though...) but I remember the GW series used to have a sort of PC editor for this. In Pa900 you can use a MIDI file with all the divisions of a style, separated by markers and the Pa900 will import it as a style.

Also, when using the clone-function for creating major, seventh and minor divisions, will BK9 do the proper transpositions (major vs minor scale I'm thinking) automatically? And is it necessary to create the patterns in C7, as with Korg?

Thank you!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online