SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#375260 - 11/14/13 10:53 AM Yamaha World styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I never ceases to amaze me at the number of incredible, new styles that we gain each time a new arranger keyboard comes on the market. Yamaha's world style selection has expanded dramatically, and this was, I'm sure, in response to the many, many requests from around the world for more ethnic styles and voices.

A few weeks ago, a good friend and fellow musician passed away at age 96. We've played together for more than 40 years, and I can say with utmost authority that he was among the best bluegrass fiddle players in the nation. He was really incredible and I will remember him always.

His widow asked me to perform just two songs at his memorial service, one of which was Taps. She also asked me to perform Amazing Grace. I rarely do this type of song, and wasn't sure which style would fit best. While digging in the keyboard's onboard styles a few days prior to the memorial service I stumbled into the world section, press the button next to Irish Hymn2 and was blown away. Attached is my rendition of Amazing Grace using the PSR-S950. I also recorded the song on the S-950 using the onboard recorder, so what you hear is what they heard at the memorial service. For those that claim the addition of a few styles are just baby steps by Yamaha, I beg to differ.

Amazing Grace

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (11/14/13 10:55 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#375264 - 11/14/13 11:47 AM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hello Gary,

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend but it was good that you were able to contribute to his passing.

In listening to your performance of Amazing Grace I could almost visualize your audience in their contemplation.

One thing that was distracting for me was the syncopated startling sound of each snare drum hit. I thought it took away from the great reverence of your rendition.

I hope my comment is not offensive.

Ian

Edited by Beemer (11/14/13 11:48 AM)

#375265 - 11/14/13 12:07 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Ian, not at all offensive. I love to hear constructive criticism and glad you took the time to listen. That drum hit was the default drum kit of the style file, and I could have changed that, but it really didn't seem that hot when performing it live.

Gary cool

#375272 - 11/14/13 12:43 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great style and great job Gary. I noticed the same thing about the snare. It detracts a little from the mood, as my esteemed Canadian colleague noted.
One more jar of KJJ, trade out a kit, and it will be even better.
DonM

#375280 - 11/14/13 01:49 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
rosetree
Unregistered

IMO it depends how you want to play it. With this style including the snare there is a certain swing to it so that it remains a slow pop ballad somehow.
When I did this song with a more classical female soloist, I didn't use any style and rhythm at all, but used some beautiful orchestral and world sounds from the Roland SRX library, starting with soft brass samples (SRX 10 French horns, very realistic, but tough for the loudspeakers), adding string sections and finally great bagpipes from the SRX 06 (Complete Orchestra) and SRX 09 (World) boards. That makes it sound almost like the Titanic soundtrack ;-) But this 'lighter' version is very emotional too, and might be the better choice depending on how the audience feels.

Edited by rosetree (11/14/13 01:51 PM)

#375283 - 11/14/13 02:08 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like Gary's version...he kept it simple, yet effective. The style sounds like the Irish Hymn 2 style in my Tyros4, and it seems to be in 4/4 whereas Amazing Grace is generally in 3/4.

Gary's rendition works a treat, and I kind of like the snare as it adds a sort of military feel, without being too intrusive.

Nice job, Gary...sorry about your friend.

Ian

#375285 - 11/14/13 03:01 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

clap clap clap

Maybe a brush, folk, acoustic or jazz set would be a better snare downbeat & a key higher vocally otherwise great style choice and good job as always Gary!...

#375296 - 11/14/13 04:37 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, for me to go up a full step vocally would require that I tighten my undershorts with a pair of vice-grip pliers. I've lost 25 percent of my total lung capacity in just three years. The asbestos is slowly, but surely taking it's toll on this old man.

Gary cool

#375298 - 11/14/13 05:05 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don't want to get into a 'debate' because obviously Gary knows what he is doing ... BUT ... I too think that perhaps a 1/2 step higher might be good ... but Gary does get down to those low notes ...
Also, can't the snare be adjusted on its own? ... I did find it a little harsh ... but still a nice presentation overall,Gar ...

#375299 - 11/14/13 05:06 PM Re: Yamaha World styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny, for me to go up a full step vocally would require that I tighten my undershorts with a pair of vice-grip pliers.

I don't think it would be worth it Gary...I know musicians sometimes "suffer for their art", but I'd say that might be a tad extreme.

We would all fully understand if you didn't let yourself get squeezed into a tight situation. cry

Ian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online