SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#375213 - 11/14/13 06:10 AM Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..?
Dnj Offline

Amazing as this new T5 sounds could this be the last TYROS in the series? Will Yamaha move on to a completely new Arranger KB project or keep going with TYROS 6, 7, 8, etc,...?
I would assume the sales of T5 would be the answer.
Either way Yamaha is producing some incredible instruments. clap

#375218 - 11/14/13 06:56 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Considering they have one of the biggest music R & D departments in the world, Donny, it's not impossible to imagine Yamaha will make another top line arranger. There still seems to be a very strong interest in high end arrangers, if we were to look at the recent success of Korg's PA3X series and Yamaha's own Tyros4.

What will be interesting, is if, on their next Tyros (if next TOTL continues the now very well known name) Yamaha continue to produce the 76-note version.

Logic tells us that it will, if sales are good, but all these big companies have been known to have occasional lapses of common sense.

And, I agree, Yamaha is producing some incredible instruments...that's why I'm so chuffed with my Tyros4, and also why the excitement level goes off the scale when a new model is introduced.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable evening playing my Tyros4, doing songs from the older musicals, movies, and TV shows like South Pacific, The King and I, The Godfather, Doctor Zhivago, Superman, Cheers, Casablanca...there's not a genre or era that can't be beautifully covered with our Yamaha arrangers.

We'll soon be doin' the Christmas stuff...some great tunes there as well...and hopefully, those that have ordered Tyros5's will be playing them on their new instruments.

Ian

#375223 - 11/14/13 07:21 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: ianmcnll]
Barty Offline

Loc: Indy
I agree, as long as the company is getting a good ROI, I would think the series would continue. The brand name is there so coming with something completely new would not be good IMHO unless somehow Tyros and its name gets a bad rep in the market (which I cannot immagine how it would happen unless there is some giant quality issue).

BTW, I always wondered what the unit sales are. I mean it is an expensive and niche instrument but then, the sales are worldwide. My WAG is 10,000 units per series. Anyone wanna venture their guess? I would love to know how close or far off I am from the actual number for the sheer curiosity.

Edited by Barty (11/14/13 07:24 AM)

#375224 - 11/14/13 07:22 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Considering they have one of the biggest music R & D departments in the world, Donny, it's not impossible to imagine Yamaha will make another top line arranger. There still seems to be a very strong interest in high end arrangers, if we were to look at the recent success of Korg's PA3X series and Yamaha's own Tyros4.

What will be interesting, is if, on their next Tyros (if next TOTL continues the now very well known name) Yamaha continue to produce the 76-note version.

Logic tells us that it will, if sales are good, but all these big companies have been known to have occasional lapses of common sense.

And, I agree, Yamaha is producing some incredible instruments...that's why I'm so chuffed with my Tyros4, and also why the excitement level goes off the scale when a new model is introduced.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable evening playing my Tyros4, doing songs from the older musicals, movies, and TV shows like South Pacific, The King and I, The Godfather, Doctor Zhivago, Superman, Cheers, Casablanca...there's not a genre or era that can't be beautifully covered with our Yamaha arrangers.

We'll soon be doin' the Christmas stuff...some great tunes there as well...and hopefully, those that have ordered Tyros5's will be playing them on their new instruments.

Ian

Ian yes all good points,...seems though the prices are creeping UP & UP to eventually at this rate will start to recapture the HOME ORGAN models we all knew of yesteryear!! surprised and /or push away the average player financially, I hope not as whats the sense if the customer base cannot afford to buy and enjoy the products offered.
Lower prices = More $$$ sales I say. that's said,....
glad your enjoying the T4 it's an awesome sounding arranger.

Edited by Dnj (11/14/13 07:23 AM)

#375226 - 11/14/13 07:26 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: Dnj]
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
Should I just wait for a T6? haha

Sooon as I sell my Pax3 will be moving back to Yamaha smile

#375228 - 11/14/13 07:39 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: MattyB]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: MattyB
Sooon as I sell my Pax3 will be moving back to Yamaha smile

Good choice Matty not that the PA3x isn't a terrific arranger also, .......keep us posted when you receive the T5.

Edited by Dnj (11/14/13 07:40 AM)

#375229 - 11/14/13 07:54 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: Dnj]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

Ian yes all good points,...seems though the prices are creeping UP & UP to eventually at this rate will start to recapture the HOME ORGAN models we all knew of yesteryear!! surprised and /or push away the average player financially, I hope not as whats the sense if the customer base cannot afford to buy and enjoy the products offered.
Lower prices = More $$$ sales I say. that's said,....
glad your enjoying the T4 it's an awesome sounding arranger.

I used to own an A100, models 147 and 900 Leslie's. Brand new today would probably cost you over $10,000 and virtually impossible to gig with.

Today with lightweight arranger keyboards, pedalboard, and smaller speakers you still comparatively save a lot in cost and yet totally portable.

I miss my Hammond, but technology has taken us a long way. Price really isn't the issue, it is finding a good fit to suit your needs and budget.

Marcus

#375233 - 11/14/13 08:22 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

My D-85 cost nearly $10,000.00 in 1981 (equal to approx. $27,000 in today's dollars), and as Marcus said above, it was virtually impossible to gig with.

I did get a special (and nearly equally expensive), and now extremely rare, road-going version of the Electone C-605 (see below), but it still took two people to move safely.

Considering the Yamaha PS-6100, (the TOTL of it's day, and having 40 styles) cost around $2000 back then and would be around $5300 in today's money, the price of our new TOTL arrangers with all the oodles of sounds and styles seems to be pretty fair.

A musical instrument is one thing I don't mind spending extra for to get the best for my needs.

It's not even a really expensive hobby for home players. You see amateur golfers paying a fortune for just one club, not to mention fees etc.

Ian

#375237 - 11/14/13 08:52 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Yes Ian times are changing since we used the wooden
Home Organs,,, cool2

Attachments
organgirl.jpg

Edited by Dnj (11/14/13 08:53 AM)

#375239 - 11/14/13 08:55 AM Re: Will Yamaha make a TYROS 6..? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

It's the accessories that enhanced those instruments, Donny.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online