SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#375054 - 11/12/13 04:55 PM What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros?
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Now that I'll be getting my first Tyros ever, I plan to attach 3 foot pedals to my new T5: 2 of the FC4 (the FC5 tends to slip away from me) plus an FC7 volume pedal. Three questions:
1) What pedals do you use
2) Do any of you use the midi foot controller MFC-10 (or substitute) and how easy to use is it? Never had one.
3) Could I substitute my (variable travel/loudness/wahwah type) Roland EV-5 Expression Pedal for the Yamaha FC7 Foot Controller?
Thanks, Hal

#375062 - 11/12/13 06:18 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I keep it simple, Hal. I use a Yamaha FC-7 Volume pedal, that is set for the 3 Upper Voices Only, and a very old Roland DP Sustain Pedal (the one with the rubber bass that opens out for your heel to keep it in place), The Sustain is set for the 3 Upper Voices Only as well.

I've learned to use the sustain with my left foot so I can work the volume pedal with my right, due to spending many years playing organ.

You'll probably find quite a few varied setups and pedal recommendations, but these are what I've used for quite some time and i'm quite happy with the setup.

Ian

#375064 - 11/12/13 06:26 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: ianmcnll]
Hal2001 Offline

Thanks Ian. My favorite sustain pedal is also the Roland DP. It stays in place best. I have it connected to my Kronos now.

#375065 - 11/12/13 06:44 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hal, I don't mean to stray off your topic, but I have to tell you I have listened to your YouTube original composition recordings on the Kronos and they are simply lovely.

You have a great touch, and beautiful phrasing, and Korg Kronos 88 sounds very, very good, but your fine composition skills are what binds it all together.

Also your other original compositions, Psychedelic Stress Relief #1, #2, and #3, are very clever and haunting.

Fine, fine work, indeed.

Ian

#375385 - 11/15/13 03:24 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Hal2001]
Hal2001 Offline

Thank you very much for your kind words Ian. I very much appreciate to hear when someone enjoys the compositions. As far as the pedals is concerned, I'll probably start with 2 FC4's and see if my Roland Expression pedal works, before ordering a Yammy expression pedal. I see someone else on the forum also put up a pedal question so I'll follow what's going on there. Hal

#375480 - 11/16/13 08:03 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Hal2001]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you are having issues with pedals sliding around, I highly recommend rubberized shelf liner http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Drawer-Liner-Black/dp/B000KFSOFI which does an amazing job of preventing pedal creep.

#375487 - 11/16/13 08:34 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Diki]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Great idea, Diki, how do you stick it to the bottom of the pedal?

#375494 - 11/16/13 08:58 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Hal2001]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
TBH, I just place it on the floor and put the pedals on it. I use a pretty big piece, enough to place all of them on it. But I would imagine some kind of rubber glue would work, if you don't mind messing up the pedal (and maybe making disassembly for repair harder).

In fact, I've got a variety of different sizes cut, for different pedal needs.

If you kick the pedal, it won't stop it flying, but under normal use, it pretty much stops pedal creep dead in its tracks!

#375496 - 11/16/13 09:10 PM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: Diki]
Hal2001 Offline

Good idea!

#375611 - 11/18/13 05:57 AM Re: What foot pedals do you use with your Tyros? [Re: ianmcnll]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Good topic - and one I have been thinking about lately. Presently, I use 3 separate foot pedals ... one a sustain pedal (I have an old Korg on and a Yamaha one), and the other two are simple Boss pedals that attach together. Most of the time, I have them set up like this:

1 - Sustain
2 - Fill Self (I think that's what it's calleD)
3 - Rotary Slow/Fast

I have been thinking about that MFC-10 device ... is anyone using it? With separate pedals (1,2,3), when in a Registration I set Sustain on Pedal 1 to work for example for R1 only (where R1 sound is a piano for example, and R2 is clarinet and R3 is organ, it works well. The pedal only sustains the Piano on R1.

Can I do this same 'programming' in Registrations on the MFC-10? That is, will a Registration 'remember' that for a given pedal on the MFC-10, that I want R1 to sustain but not R2 and R3? And for a different Registration, maybe I want Left and R2 to respond to sustain but not R1 and R3. This is do-able when using the 3 foot controllers (pedals 1,2,3), just put a check-box for what you want to be controlled. I don't know if this can be done as easily with a foot controller such as the MFC-10?

Thanks!
Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online