SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#374889 - 11/11/13 05:30 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
There was a huge change in os between G800 and G70.
G70 through E80 was a piece of cake!
DonM

AMEN!!!!!

I remember teaching a blind friend the G800...in detail..He amazed me with his ability to operate the G800..

#374892 - 11/11/13 06:02 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Originally Posted By: DonM
There was a huge change in os between G800 and G70.
G70 through E80 was a piece of cake!
DonM

AMEN!!!!!

I remember teaching a blind friend the G800...in detail..He amazed me with his ability to operate the G800..

The G-70 wasn't so bad, I had it down pretty quickly, but I don't think it is any easier than Yamaha's.

Fran, I taught several blind people on our more recent, and a few older, Yamaha arranger models....that is also why there was a protest from many visually impaired users when it was suggested the next Tyros go to a touchscreen.

I can't say that it was the reason Tyros5 remained with a regular screen, but apparently it is far easier to use for those with sight problems than a touch screen.

I believe it was discussed briefly here as well.

Ian

#374893 - 11/11/13 06:17 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, What I was referring to was how easy the Technics OS was to learn. It did a lot, just like the other OS systems, but the menus were very easy to navigate.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374923 - 11/12/13 05:58 AM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

This is a Yamaha Forum for those who prefer Tyros and other models of the Yamaha line. Lloyd

#374924 - 11/12/13 06:20 AM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=Fran Carango]Coming from the BK5..I know first hand...I want a touch screen...The edit parameters are in the BK9..I just don't want to deal with the non touch screen approach...Had enough with the BK5..
Same reason I have no interest in the Tyros5..
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I think roland purposely left out the touch screen to keep the price down. Even with that I think the BK9 is expensive. Must be a lot of cost to make up for their R&D.
I also believe they did give you the capability of having a touch screen by designing the BK9 to work with the IPAD. Want a touch screen with your BK9 get an IPAD, and the beauty is the IPAD is good for so many other things so its not just more money spent for your keyboard.
I will be getting the new Ipad Air soon and I think that of all the things I will do with it on the music end it will be for DJing, and music reading, not as a live tool for editing during a gig. (BTW a sidebar note on Djing these days. Just lost a gig because the girl in charge wanted me to have the capability to download any song anyone requested during the night. I hate it when the guests start running the show so I'm glad it didn't work out. But another reason for an IPAD or Laptop )
When I play I'm too busy playing and singing to start making adjustments. I want everything set before I take the unit out. Lots of tweaking before hand but its worth it.
All in all the think the BK9 is a great, get one, LOL. The weight, sounds, most styles, flexibility of use, and I don't even mind the semi weighted keyboard too much. Firm enough for a good piano feel yet still good for doing organ stuff, a good compromise.

#374939 - 11/12/13 08:26 AM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
[quote=Fran Carango]Coming from the BK5..I know first hand...I want a touch screen...The edit parameters are in the BK9..I just don't want to deal with the non touch screen approach...Had enough with the BK5..
Same reason I have no interest in the Tyros5..
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I think roland purposely left out the touch screen to keep the price down. Even with that I think the BK9 is expensive. Must be a lot of cost to make up for their R&D.
I also believe they did give you the capability of having a touch screen by designing the BK9 to work with the IPAD. Want a touch screen with your BK9 get an IPAD, and the beauty is the IPAD is good for so many other things so its not just more money spent for your keyboard.
I will be getting the new Ipad Air soon and I think that of all the things I will do with it on the music end it will be for DJing, and music reading, not as a live tool for editing during a gig. (BTW a sidebar note on Djing these days. Just lost a gig because the girl in charge wanted me to have the capability to download any song anyone requested during the night. I hate it when the guests start running the show so I'm glad it didn't work out. But another reason for an IPAD or Laptop )
When I play I'm too busy playing and singing to start making adjustments. I want everything set before I take the unit out. Lots of tweaking before hand but its worth it.
All in all the think the BK9 is a great, get one, LOL. The weight, sounds, most styles, flexibility of use, and I don't even mind the semi weighted keyboard too much. Firm enough for a good piano feel yet still good for doing organ stuff, a good compromise.

Bill, I use my laptop for DJing..I have a mobile hotspot too...Just connect to You tube...and you have any request you need.
Your ipad will do the same..

Edited by Fran Carango (11/12/13 08:27 AM)

#374947 - 11/12/13 08:55 AM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't actually do any DJing, but I have googled quite a few songs for lyrics and chords and faked them. I have also grabbed a few from Youtube and played them by request when I take a break.
I've had a small laptop on the stand for many years. It also serves as a backup in case the keyboard should ever fail.
DonM

#374968 - 11/12/13 10:23 AM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fran

Thats one of the main reasons for getting the IPAD. Just a question, why do I need a mobile hotspot device, can't the IPad connect to the Internet by itself?? My wifes Iphone does and I was going to tell the girl booking the party that but as I said I really didn't want to be a total jukebox all night. Especially when the drinks start flowing and everyone has their own idea of what I should be doing.

#374972 - 11/12/13 10:34 AM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I've never had any interest in DJ'ing, I'm a player.

Yes, it could be needed at certain functions, but I don't book those functions.

I also think being a good DJ is a skill...I have seen only a few very good ones, and all kinds of very bad ones.

I'll stick to playing my keyboard.

Ian

#374999 - 11/12/13 01:04 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, most of the roadblocks to easy BK-9 use disappear with the iPad apps.

Have you looked at this? http://www.roland.com/apps/bk9performanceeditor/

This is close to the G70's touch screen functionality (in fact, quite a bit onwards, in certain areas) on something MUCH larger and easier to see than the G70 touch screen.

Yes, I think they made a mistake moving to the dual LCD screen, but given that this line was designed from the BOTL upwards, rather than the TOTL downwards, not that surprising. However, with the iPad apps, much of the original ease of use seems to have been addressed.

And live, unless you are one of those 'Free Panel' relics from the 80's, there is MORE than enough control for playing live simply from all the sliders (10 of them), buttons, Assignable buttons (4 of them), footswitch, expression controller inputs, D-Beam and the FC-7 to be able to run the thing quite easily even without an iPad on the gig (or allow you to use your iPad for PDF display or other uses).

There are live slider controls for two MFX parameters and two CC's for voice manipulation per Performance (something you couldn't do on the G70), a big improvement.

I think that the G70's touch screen OS was about the best anyone has yet to come up with, but, in fairness, for $1500 LESS (and 25lbs less!) it is not reasonable to expect parity with the G70. Thank goodness you can address it with the iPad, though.

Look, for solo and duo use (I think full live band, I am still happy with the G70, but more familiarity with the iPad apps may change that) I think the BK-9 is a huge step forward. The Chord Sequencer alone puts it into another category if you are familiar with how much that can allow you to do that you can't while stuck having to play the changes, the audio loop capability starts to put it into full WS ability and sound, and the Hammond is to die for!

I am surprised at your resistance to jumping in. Admittedly, I didn't go through having a BK-5 or -3 first (although I do have a -7m), but I did try them when a friend bought them (and subsequently sold them to get the -9), and I can assure you, from key feel to overall sound, the -9 is MUCH better.

Time to get off the fence, Fran, and give it a good try...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online