SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#374156 - 11/03/13 08:38 PM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Check out Henni's many posts about the Audya, and Ketron's own website ( http://www.ketron.it/index.php?option=co...28&lang=eng ). The Audya sounds amazingly real for the most part, and if the internal ROM styles work for you, if you can afford it, it is a great arranger! If you can't afford it, you can't afford the Tyros either, mind you!

It will take Yamaha about 100 more years to catch up with Ketron at the baby steps pace they are on now. If you like the idea of loop based arrangers, forget Yamaha. They are only now dipping their toes in waters Ketron swam in well over ten years ago. Currently, Yamaha does ONLY drums and percussion on audio, whereas the Audya does drums, perc, bass, guitar and some other parts in audio too... Lord knows if Yamaha will ever go that route. And only 10% of the ROM styles are audio drums on the Yamaha, and new styles have been few and far between so far for the S950 (which introduced this feature to Yamaha's) and impossible to load in quickly.

If you like the idea of loops, currently, the Ketron is the only real way to go...

#374250 - 11/04/13 03:19 PM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: Diki]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I wish I could afford them all!!!!! I'm sure I will like Tyros 5 regardless of how they make the styles. All my progressions from Tyros 2 to 3 to 4 have been positive. Regarding loops.......I suspect that any arranger wouldn't have the fast processing power of a PC. I treat playing music differently playing Tyros 4 versus playing a midi controller on a computer. When I play Tyros 4 I am performing............when I use the PC I am composing, mixing and recording. I like switching between the 2 to keep me from getting bored.

#374281 - 11/04/13 10:49 PM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: Diki]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: Diki
...Personally, I think that user audio loops alongside more standard MIDI styles is the BEST way to marry the two technologies...

I find this the BIGGEST plus on my AJAMSONIC Audya. You cannot even begin to appreciate the power this gives the user without experimenting with it yourself. Simply select ANY part of ANY style & browse in the audio loop of your choice, which comes complete with pre-programmed fills and variations based on the chord being played.

With AJs upgrade, there are more than enough loops to select from for the average user. I find no need to edit these loops. If I don't like what I hear, there are just that many more to choose from!

Henni

#374288 - 11/05/13 01:42 AM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: travlin'easy]
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
For those who are interested in figures. Marcus' numbers :

Edited by kla4 (11/05/13 01:43 AM)

#374339 - 11/06/13 05:20 AM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: travlin'easy]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
I am glad the chart could be useful over here. Generally the Yamaha forum is pretty quiet over here. I visit frequently to keep updated on the arranger scene.

Thanks kla4 for fixing the chart. I originally typed the chart on my iPad so it wasn't in chart form.

It was pointed out that the Tyros 4 had 15 SA2 voices where 15 were indicated as playing voices plus 15 incorporated within the styles. So the thought was that the Tyros 5 44 SA2 voices were probably comparatively as 22 plus 22 for the styles, but this still has to be confirmed.

Also some people asked what AEM,FSX, and AWM were.
AEM technology (Articulation Element Modeling)
AWM stands for Advanced Wave Memory
FSX designation is describing the keyboard action on Tyros models

All the major manufactures make fine arrangers. I made a major decision a few years back between deciding between a Korg PA800 and a Tyros 3. For me the Tyros was a better fit.

Investing time, files, registrations, and learning the Yamaha OS, it makes sense for me to stick with Yamaha. Mostly because I always keep a backup keyboard ready to go at all times.

So I will trade my Tyros 3 up for a Tyros 5 and keep my Tyros 4.

Regards, Marcus

#374356 - 11/06/13 10:40 AM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's interesting to see how an S950 is basically close to the equivalent of a T3 (minus the sampler and no SA2). Pretty good for $3000 less!

#374373 - 11/06/13 04:25 PM Re: Tyros 5 comparison chart [Re: travlin'easy]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
The S950 is brilliant... the only major things it lacks over the T3 is the keybed, the SA2 voices and ability to layer 3 voices on the RH.

on the other hand - it has the new real drums and studio kit that are on the T4 and NOT on the T3... plus the Audio Styles which are excellent - even though there aren't many...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online