SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#373853 - 10/30/13 03:12 PM How much to prepare for and do this...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The Alumni association at a nearby state University wants me to do a 1/2 hour job on just guitar, featuring some of the favorite songs of the departing Dean of the college of music (a long-time friend).

It will take a littler work to prepare and the material is challenging from both the vocal and the instrumental end of things. It will be vocals and nylon string.

Here are the tunes:

* A House Is Not A Home
* Here's that Rainy Day
* How can You Keep the music playing?
* Just Once
* Wildflower
* All in Love is Fair

I do 2/3 of the tunes often. The others are going to be a stretch and take some serious "woodsheddin".

What's a fair price, considering prep time? I have to remember, the guy's a long-time friend whom I've worked with many times over the years.

Still, I have no ties to the school (it AIN'T UK) and don't owe the alumni association any favors.

Russ

PS: Travel time is covered, as is overnight accommodations. I'm playing during the banquet on keys, with a drummer and bass (his favorite students). Piano, PA are supplied. This 1/2 hour will be after the dinner and ceremony. The school is 3 hours away. I'm getting $2500.00 for travel, meals, the first performance and rehearsal time with the students.

I'm thinking and extra $500.00 should not be to outlandish.

#373864 - 10/30/13 06:35 PM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I only wish I were talented enough to get gigs like that ...
God bless you, Russ ...

#373871 - 10/30/13 07:37 PM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds reasonable, Russ.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#373881 - 10/31/13 12:55 AM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I agree with Gary. Sounds very reasonable to me. How is everything going with your guitar playing with the medical problems you have had to endure?

#373910 - 10/31/13 11:12 AM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Nigel, thanks for asking. The effects of the cutting get better; then worse. Right now, other than wanting more speed, the pain has subsided, and I'm doing better compensating for no feeling.

The new problems-worn out cartilage and bursitis make things more complicated, but I'm learning to adapt, and am really busy doing sessions for things like video annual reports.

I know the day will come when I'm out of the guitar business, but I'll always have the years I worked in a field I love.

And, I'm doing fine on keys. I will have relapses on guitar. A year ago, I couldn't even touch one for about 6 months. Then, things got better, or good enough to work.

I'm using lighter strings and not playing as hard. I recently started using a new Godin A-6 acoustic/electric hibred, which is delightful for use in a dining room and great at high volumes.

I'm hanging in there, and when it's over, I'll be the most grateful "picker" that ever lived for being able to do something so special for 58 years and counting.

Be well, friend,

Russ

#373913 - 10/31/13 11:22 AM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Love to hear some of your arranger playing, Russ. PM me if you don't want this bunch picking it over..!

#373914 - 10/31/13 11:26 AM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Diki, I never recorded myself on arranger, but was thinking of making that a project by years end.

I'll throw it up and be glad to let people shoot at it.

I just have never needed to have a recording, since I don't really look for arranger gigs and always play all the parts I need on conventional work (everything but horns).

Good to hear from you!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/31/13 11:27 AM)

#373918 - 10/31/13 04:20 PM Re: How much to prepare for and do this...? [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Good Luck on that gig Russ Im sure you'll knock em dead....take some pics for us.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online