SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#373756 - 10/29/13 07:58 AM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks folks for all the input. I'am a "plug and play" kind of guy and this is way to hairy for this old man.

Deane

#373763 - 10/29/13 10:55 AM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You can pretty much kiss 'plug and play' goodbye nowadays, Deane!

Most modern arrangers and WS's are so complex, and so non-standardized, getting two of them to work together is a major task for the best MIDI guru's out there.

Maybe 15-20 years ago, this would have worked for you, Deane (pretty much only the 127 Capitol Sounds, and a few common Variation sounds) but nowadays, all that is out of the window.

This is why I have talked about the need for module manufacturers to be FAR more flexible, and allow the sounds in them to be re-mapped to PC/32/00 codes that the sending gear is capable of sending. They never know WHAT is going to be hooked up to it, and it simply strikes me as foolish to hardwire yourself into one set of codes. All you are doing, essentially, is limiting the market you can sell to. Bad idea!

Particularly in a module that in all likelihood is going to be connected to an arranger, possibly the least flexible keyboard on the planet! Ketron would be wise to upgrade the OS to allow sound remapping...

#373789 - 10/29/13 04:15 PM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: hammer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Pretty much all the up market (More expensive) modules can map anything anywhere; however the SD2 was designed as a cheap little module for adding some great sounds.

So long as your arranger can output standard Midi assignments (Bank/Program Change, volume, pitch, modulation etc.) then you can easily select any sound on the SD2 you wish to use, however its editing capabilities (Which are extensive) require special codes to operate them. (Both vArranger and Live Styler software arrangers have this already built in for the SD2 (It can also be integrated in Wersi instruments from the 90s Mosys )

Bill

#373791 - 10/29/13 04:33 PM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: abacus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: abacus
So long as your arranger can output standard Midi assignments (Bank/Program Change, volume, pitch, modulation etc.) then you can easily select any sound on the SD2 you wish to use

The bank/program change midi message is the crucial one, and as Diki explained, a lot, but not all of the values required for the Ketron sounds can be sent by the BK-9 (by finding the BK-9 sound in the tone list with the respective value).
Let's have an example: I want to play the Ketron sound 'Mandolin' in Voice Bank B, No.106. In order to call up this sound from the BK-9, you have to find a BK-9 sound which sends out the midi PC message 106 and bank (CC00) message 1. In the BK-9 tone list I found sound no. 1535, "Pipa /4", which has the value CC00=1, PC=106. So selecting Pipa /4 on BK-9 should trigger the Mandolin sound on Ketron SD 2. Of course, you would have to mute the BK-9 'Pipa /4' sound then to hear the Ketron. Well, that's a way to use the Ketron, but it remains inconvenient...

Edited by rosetree (10/29/13 04:57 PM)

#373799 - 10/29/13 10:14 PM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

And Tony... really? The best you can come up with is a suggestion to buy an as yet unreleased arranger that will be more than twice the OP's gear's cost combined? Right... rolleyes

If you say so Dikipedia rolleyes I will believe you, though 1000s wouldn't

#373800 - 10/29/13 10:16 PM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: hammer]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Thanks folks for all the input. I'am a "plug and play" kind of guy and this is way to hairy for this old man.

Deane

Buy a Kronos Deanne and your problems will just float away or you will be blown away.

BTW Deane when are you coming over to the UK again, if you come North I will come and see you

Tony

#373885 - 10/31/13 05:34 AM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: Dnj]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I agree too damm complicated just get a yamaha and play it. It that simple.

#373891 - 10/31/13 06:38 AM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bad news, everyone... EVERYTHING is complicated! NOTHING is 'plug and play'!

If you want to get the best out of any keyboard in the 21st century, either buy a digital piano, and play one sound for the rest of your life, solo (not a bad idea, actually!), or be prepared to do some considerable work.

The only people that think all this is easy are people who have done it on one manufacturer's arranger so long, they have forgotten how long it took them to learn it all. And they seldom have a CLUE how much work it takes, transiting from one manufacturer's OS and workflow to another. This forum is full of stories from people that had been on Brand A forever, then got a Brand B and couldn't figure it out and get comfortable as much as they were on their Brand A arranger. So they got rid of it and went back to Brand A, and gave a poor review of Brand B.

But owners of Brand B had as much problems transitioning to Brand A. And Brand A gets the poor review.

But bottom line is, nothing wrong with EITHER of them. Simply put, the problem resides with the operator, not the equipment..!

The other problem seems to be, so few people HAPPY with what they have. Or they wouldn't be changing brands and models as often as they do. Perhaps it is the fact that, no matter what you buy, it's still YOU playing it! The sad fact is, no amount of change of equipment is going to alter your playing... That has got to come from practice and hard work. And who has time for that, much, these days (wink)?!

But, I don't think I have heard a single story about how someone thought they sucked until they bought a Brand A arranger, and now they think they are much better! 90% of your satisfaction comes from how you play. The 10% extra or less the different brands give you isn't really significant compared to what comes out of your fingers. If you are getting antsy about a new arranger, ask yourself WHY..?

And maybe try a study book, a few lessons with someone who's playing you admire, maybe learn up a bunch of tunes in a style you are unfamiliar with, buy a few CD's of new music and learn it...

It will probably make you sound better than buying a new arranger, and playing the same stuff on it.

#373896 - 10/31/13 08:15 AM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: Diki]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Good post Diki. There is a lot of truth here.

Edited by Bernie9 (10/31/13 08:15 AM)

#373897 - 10/31/13 08:27 AM Re: BK-9 and Ketron SD2 Unit [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Is the BK-9 that lacking of good sounds that you would consider using a sound module to compensate, and go thru all that confusion, extra hookup s, midi codes etc...especially on stage? confused1

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online