SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#372763 - 10/08/13 08:32 AM Re: Drum machine? NOT,.....nothing like the REAL DEAL! [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#372764 - 10/08/13 09:12 AM Re: Drum machine? NOT,.....nothing like the REAL DEAL! [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Louis connected me with what was happening in downtown LA in the early 60's. He and Ray Brown represented everything good about world-class musicians...willing to share and respectful of all people.

Man, I've been lucky in my lifetime!

Russ

#372798 - 10/09/13 09:05 AM Re: Drum machine? NOT,.....nothing like the REAL DEAL! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, actually, there are some here with minimal skills I respect a lot.

What I respect is a degree of integrity, of being able to take what we have done and show a degree of humility for it. Replacing flesh and blood musicians with machines that, unless the real musician was quite terrible, don't even come CLOSE to being an adequate substitute, and then crowing about it doesn't meet my standards for 'class', and I would hope most REAL musicians' standards either...

One of these days, we are going to have to admit that we share a profession, a passion, an avocation with others who may not be looking to replace us as a way to make a quick buck, and stuff the coffers of an AD or restaurant owner. What makes us different?

Bringing up stories about notorious drummers, as if this is any justification, is so disingenuous... For every talented diva, there are dozens, nay, hundreds of talented humble players. TBH, the only diva behavior I see on this forum is the glee with which some of you recall being able to fire your other musicians, given the opportunity to replace them with a beat box that couldn't play its way out of a paper bag! How some of you can bring up stories of him firing players as if this is a bad thing, when you've done the exact same thing yourself beats me!

#372960 - 10/14/13 09:47 AM Re: Drum machine? NOT,.....nothing like the REAL DEAL! [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I feel very lucky that my parents brought me to see many Buddy Rich shows back in the 70's and 80's. I also got to see Louis Bellson many times too. Guys like Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Steve Gadd, and Vinnie Colaiuta can play over top, fast and loud, but I've heard them all play very simple sensitive/soft too. A good drummer has to have excellent time, groove, and dynamics. For my gigs, I always hire a percussionist if the budget allows. Nothing beats the real thing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online