SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#372315 - 09/25/13 01:39 AM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Dave, I got a new free laptop as part of a class action suit that I knew nothing about a couple of weeks ago. There's a numeric pad which offsets the keyboard. I'm not crazy about it. It has Windows 8 which has 100 times more intrusions than my less memory and smaller HD Gateway with Vista Home Premium had.
Sometimes I have to shut down the stupid thing and run Advance System Care to get it back up to speed. This Windows 8 is a big mistake I think. I had a new HD put in my old laptop a while back I'm thinking of selling this one and going back to Vista Home Premium and the old computer.
Sorry about the typos. I have to spend more time checking everything now.

Wow you must be one of the few people that are happy with Vista, most users and professionals avoid like the plague as it is a resource hogging highly intrusive OS.

If you’re used to the older type of OS then Windows 8 can be a bit daunting until you get it set up right.

The best OS is still Windows 7 which gives you everything and more of what Vista does, with minimal intrusions and requiring no more resources than XP.

If you don’t believe what I say about Vista, ask any IT professional or company IT department and you will find they will agree with everything I have mentioned above.

On the other hand if you are happy with something and it does what you want then there is no real reason to change. (This applies to everything in life)

Bill

#372319 - 09/25/13 06:19 AM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Bill,

I'm sure big corporations have a lot more troubles than trying to work with Vista Home Premium.
This Windows 8 has more glitches than my brain.
1. The cursor gets to where it takes 5 to 10 seconds before it's ready to move again.

2. I watch YouTube Westerns. It slows down to a crawl also.

3. Every time you turn around it wants to add something, a plugin, a faster down-loader, another media player and the list goes on and on.

4, Man it just gets slower and slower as the hours go by.

5. I run SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes, and Advanced System Care daily.

I do seem to have more trouble when watching free streaming football. However, it did't seem anywhere near the trouble with Vista home Premium.

Wish I was more computer literate. I didn't have as much trouble in the beginning learning Windows 95 back in the day.

#372320 - 09/25/13 06:31 AM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am sure what you say is true, but if you are switching back, Win 7 Home Premium is the way to go. You were luckier than most with your Vista.

#372325 - 09/25/13 08:35 AM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Bernie,
Vista is already on my old laptop because the Guru said he restored it back to like it was originally when I bought it from Best Buy when he installed the new Hard Drive. I don't feel like spending money on Windows 7.

Do you believe it just took 26 seconds to get to SynthZone and it also took that long to get up a Google page.

This computer has been on for maybe 3 hours and all I've done was make a few comments on Facebook, check in here at the Zone, checked email and read a post or two on a hot dog vending forum.

I can't believe no one here is complaining about Windows 8!! What else can it be? Maybe I'm the only one with windows 8, eh?

#372329 - 09/25/13 10:53 AM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
abacus Offline

There are some problems with Win 8 as with any new OS (Which is why I and most IT professionals still recommend Win 7) however I have never come across anybody with the problems you’re having.

I would say there is a program or app on the system (Which was probably added by the manufacture or dealer) that is constantly checking for updates and new program to install on it, so go into programs and features in the control panel, (Or type programs & features in the search box on the charms bar) and uninstall any program (Including toolbars) that you do not use, and see if that solves the problem. (Also remove any apps you don’t need)

In addition having multiple anti-virus/malware programs running at the same time can also cause problems as they can interfere with each other, (Remember Win 8 has its own inbuilt Anti-Virus/Malware program included as standard) so try and use the minimum amount. (In addition make sure you have the very latest addition of ASC installed as there are compatibility issues with earlier versions of it and Win 8)

When you have cleared out the unused programs, download & install Start Menu 8 (It’s free) from http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php and choose the Vista option. You will now have a system that operates just like Vista while still having all the additional features of Windows 8.

Hope this helps

Bill

#372332 - 09/25/13 01:28 PM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

The simple, but not always the best, solution is to click the Start Icon, then in the box where it says Search type MSCONFIG and press enter. When the MS configuration page opens, tab to the Start Tab, then uncheck everything other than your antivirus and malware programs. After unchecking them, click apply, then close the window and restart your computer. You'll see a message on startup that asks if you wish to use the Selective Startup, click YES, or OK, and you're ready to go. Also be sure to click the little box that says do Not show this window again at startup.

Hope this solves your problems,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#372333 - 09/25/13 01:32 PM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Hey Bill this pops up every day quite a few times. What in hell is Saupdate.exe
what about:
ffdshow vt.24422
freedownload manager
Identity Card
Launch Manager
Live Upudater
Arcade Parlor
Browefox 3.0.0
CartwheelForChrome
Comsumer Input
These look weird to me. I don't have a clue. My good friend here helps me when he's got time. He's busy now or I'd ask him. I don't want to wear him out. He a great help!!

#372336 - 09/25/13 02:48 PM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
abacus Offline

Apart from ffdshow which is a video codec, (And may be needed by other programs) the rest can be un-installed as they are just taking up resources and providing no benefit.

You will find them in the programs and features in the control panel, at the same time un-install any other programs you don’t need.

TIP: When loading programs onto the computer use the custom option (Instead of the easy option) so that you can decide what to install. (A lot of programs install other programs without telling you except in the small print and custom gets round this)

Hope this helps

Bill

#372352 - 09/26/13 03:54 PM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Gary I don't want to gloat yet but, I think the MsConfig did the trick. It's been running smooth all day.
Should I check this often, or is it fixed forever?

#372355 - 09/26/13 05:47 PM Re: You guys can have a big laugh on me. [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Check it about once every couple months. Sometimes certain downloads sneak stuff into there.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online