SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#372162 - 09/19/13 08:41 PM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tostie]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bill,

I must be a little bit like being gay, it's all out in the open now, a few should be relieved, now we all know they are not really professional, even though they are being paid, according to Dikipedia. I have been to a number of hotels in Spain and the level of playing is pretty good I must say, I have not had to go to bed early, one chap in was setting up his Ketron SD1 some years back and he said did I want to play so I did, I played "I Just Called to say I love you" the audience clapped like hell, all SZ couldn't have been there that night surely.

#372163 - 09/19/13 10:42 PM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tostie]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think I'll stay out of this one. Just wanted to tell Tony that Boo sings better than most of us on here! I've heard him and played behind him.
Probably most people on here play because they enjoy making music, at whatever level we have attained.
Those of us who do, or have done it for a living do not need affirmation here, just from the people who hire us and come listen to us.
Not sure what is to be gained by calling out those whom we feel are not as accomplished as we think WE are.
Have to mention that among the best arranger entertainers I've seen in person were several from Mexico. I saw one last week that I sure wouldn't want to follow, and he was playing a PSR2000.

DonM

#372164 - 09/20/13 12:04 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tostie]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Originally Posted By: Tostie

Most performances are certainly not bad, but if you would give the exact same performance in a decent Dutch restaurant/old people's home/whatsoever, they would use tarring and feathering to get you out.

I'm certainly not going to the Netherlands, I've got a very sensitive skin. laugh

I would like to say however, that since I started posting here I have changed a lot of my recording/playing/singing techniques thanks to some very constructive criticism, thank you all.

I hope I have improved as a result, still a long way to go.

I will keep on annoying you from time to time now I am sure you will all give me an honest opinion.

If you don't realise or won't admit you are wrong you will never get it right.

Kind Regards

Col

#372165 - 09/20/13 12:27 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: Bill in Dayton]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Like Don I am somewhat hesitant to enter in this discussion, not to say a little uncomfortable. I am in the dark as to why Joost , a fellow countryman of mine who lives at only 15 miles from where I reside, should have entered this post. I am all for calling a spade a spade but this feels wrong somehow, allow me to alleborate.
Yes it is true that there is probably no country in the world where , per 1000 inhabitants, more arranger keyboards are being used, than here in Holland. Probably goes back to its religious/organ history. Having said that it is also true that the vast majority of those playing attain a level which Diki would find shocking, hell even I find it shocking.
It is also true that this forum is basically a USA forum which a few stray members from Holland, Down Under and the oldies form the UK smile smile
It is also true that for too long a period of time this has been a forum hinged on the subject of "mine is better than yours ", but there has been vast improvement here. And like Diki says ( one of the few things I see eye to eye with him) these days it does not make all that much difference what motl or totl keyboard you play, they are all great.
But I am totally in the dark as to what point Joost is trying to make here. He and Rico are the two Dutchies who basically post their recordings , of outstanding quality no doubt about it, so what ? I have have rarely seen any posting by them to deal with sorting out problems etc. that fellow SZ members encounter with their instrument, one of the main objects of these forums I would say. The observation regarding those who do post their recordings may be true from a highly professional/ skilled point of view but what is the point here , I cannot help wondering. Incidentally Joost if you care to visit the personal websites of folks like DonM, Donnny, etc.etc. you will find you are not the only one who has an outstanding level of performance, added to which it needs additional qualities to be an allround entertainer and not just a talented keyboard or piano player.
Just as this forum is heading the right way I do not think we need post like this really. Let's focus on the great merits of the current and new generation of keyboards and try and help each other out by sound advice etc.
There I have said it.......

regards to ALL,
John

P.S. Saswick, your recordings have improved indeed imho. Keep up the good work. smile

#372169 - 09/20/13 03:16 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tostie]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
My Turn smile

Hey People How YA Doing @ll

Joost My friend wrong question because you could give the anwser to that yourself Its NO
Because you can't hang the complete standard of the US onto this forum

my own skills would be enough for a wedding providing background music
Is That meant as an entertaining Joke Come On man You know you are better then That smile

A blown Up Discusion with only 1 anwser :)))) Its NO

Have a nice weekend @ll

Rico wave

#372171 - 09/20/13 04:24 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tostie]
Dnj Offline

This is all bunk......just post a video of yourself playing if you like and that ends it period!! if not it's all heresay! seeing and hearing is believing nuff said anywhere in the world.

#372176 - 09/20/13 08:18 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: john smies]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

Like Don I am somewhat hesitant to enter in this discussion, not to say a little uncomfortable. I am in the dark as to why Joost , a fellow countryman of mine who lives at only 15 miles from where I reside, should have entered this post. I am all for calling a spade a spade but this feels wrong somehow, allow me to alleborate.
Yes it is true that there is probably no country in the world where , per 1000 inhabitants, more arranger keyboards are being used, than here in Holland. Probably goes back to its religious/organ history. Having said that it is also true that the vast majority of those playing attain a level which Diki would find shocking, hell even I find it shocking.
It is also true that this forum is basically a USA forum which a few stray members from Holland, Down Under and the oldies form the UK smile smile
It is also true that for too long a period of time this has been a forum hinged on the subject of "mine is better than yours ", but there has been vast improvement here. And like Diki says ( one of the few things I see eye to eye with him) these days it does not make all that much difference what motl or totl keyboard you play, they are all great.
But I am totally in the dark as to what point Joost is trying to make here. He and Rico are the two Dutchies who basically post their recordings , of outstanding quality no doubt about it, so what ? I have have rarely seen any posting by them to deal with sorting out problems etc. that fellow SZ members encounter with their instrument, one of the main objects of these forums I would say. The observation regarding those who do post their recordings may be true from a highly professional/ skilled point of view but what is the point here , I cannot help wondering. Incidentally Joost if you care to visit the personal websites of folks like DonM, Donnny, etc.etc. you will find you are not the only one who has an outstanding level of performance, added to which it needs additional qualities to be an allround entertainer and not just a talented keyboard or piano player.
Just as this forum is heading the right way I do not think we need post like this really. Let's focus on the great merits of the current and new generation of keyboards and try and help each other out by sound advice etc.
There I have said it.......

regards to ALL,
John

P.S. Saswick, your recordings have improved indeed imho. Keep up the good work. smile

John,

You have not done bad to say your hesitant to wade in, nearly 1000 words.

#372177 - 09/20/13 08:19 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: KeyBTyros]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: KeyBTyros
My Turn smile

Hey People How YA Doing @ll

Joost My friend wrong question because you could give the anwser to that yourself Its NO
Because you can't hang the complete standard of the US onto this forum

my own skills would be enough for a wedding providing background music
Is That meant as an entertaining Joke Come On man You know you are better then That smile

A blown Up Discusion with only 1 anwser :)))) Its NO

Have a nice weekend @ll

Rico wave

I would be OK at funerals, I could play at my own, that would be modest and I could miss a few notes and who would bother, it would be on DVD and if they said his playing was crap, hey you can't talk about the dead, want to bet.

#372179 - 09/20/13 09:19 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tony Hughes]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hey Tony How are You,

My Englisch is not that Good
Plz explain who's Funeral
I miss some sometimes smile I dont give a....
Yess I can smile
if you die tomorow ill speak about you :)))
Greetz Rico wave

#372181 - 09/20/13 10:08 AM Re: Level of performers [Re: Tostie]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Tostie
Since I became a member (a few years ago) Somehow I'm always asking myself how the audience is tolerating the level of the performer. Let me be clear, I do not question someone's skills

Joost

Skill levels are always changing. Part of growth as an Artist or Musician is taking chances & leaving yourself vulnerable. It allows you to evaluate & re-tool who you are...

When I "released" my first Cassette Album circa 1993, it wasn't very good..I cringe today when I hear the Alesis SR16 stock drum patterns, my "pitchy" spots & a level of playing well below semi-pro..But it was the best I could do at the time, it was where I was at.

However it was a huge stepping stone to learn what works and doesn't, & to get me too where I am today. I helped me find my voice.

If I never took a chance and kept believing I COULD when I COULDN'T, I'd never have evolved in my music.

Here my first very basic video to a brand new song I "released" in the last month..I wrote it, I am singing it. After my hires and fires I work exclusively with one "Producer/Arranger". he knows my sound & style...

As a VIDEO I know this lacks...Financially, It's "the best" I can do right now...Do I put myself "out there"? Or lament that my budget is zero? Or better yet, put nothing out because I am not there yet?

Hopefully the audience can put up with me, as I am naive in so many aspects of how to do this music thing I absolutely love.....

Here is my 1 and only YOUTUBE & the best I can do as of today

http://youtu.be/oKKKQ3utjco

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online