SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#372082 - 09/18/13 11:13 AM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm with Mr. Smies on this one...the PA-900 sounded much better to my ears. Perhaps a different recording process would bring out the best in the BK-9?

Ian

#372086 - 09/18/13 11:29 AM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: hammer]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Very few camcorders have a line in for audio, so it gets hard for regular folk to do high quality audio/video demos.

But there a little trick you can do...

If your video camera is digital, and you have a little audio digital recorder (a Zoom, or similar), simply record the demo to the pocket recorder while you are shooting the video.

Then, most video editing software allows you to 'import' an audio track and line it up with the video. Line up your new audio with the audio from the camera (slide it around until there is no flamming), then discard the camera's audio track...

Voilá! A video with 'pro' quality sound.

#372088 - 09/18/13 11:38 AM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: hammer]
Diki Online   content

BTW, I already put up an audio example of the SN Ac. Guit https://soundcloud.com/destinkeysuser688180390/bk-9-sn-acguit-jam and there are tons of really killer demos up here: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaPietradelParagone/videos

While it is nice that Deane put up his first gig, does anyone honestly think that listening to someone barely familiar with the keyboard, doing his first gig on it, and recorded with simply the built-in mike is any way to judge how good something is?

The demos on LaPietradelParagone's YouTube channel are all done playing the BK-9 live, if you want to hear what it CAN sound like played and recorded well, here they are.

If not, post a camcorder recording of YOUR first gig on the PA900, and let us all be dismayed by it, too!

#372092 - 09/18/13 12:14 PM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: Diki]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Diki,
You actually made my point. You just about have to be a sound engineer to get the best from the BK-9. Most folks will get just what you are hearing in this video. The comparison of the PA900 and the BK-9 is fair - both were recorded with the exact same equipment positioned in the exact same place using the sound the audience hears - from the Bose L1 Compact. I had just about the same amount of time on both before gigging with them.

I have no doubt there are better sounds to be heard if you have enough time in your life to create them. Frankly, I don't find it much fun or enjoyable having to spend every spare moment getting an acceptable sound from ANY keyboard.

Most people who buy Arranger keyboards want to use them in arranger mode and that is what the video shows. I have yet to try out the chord sequencer or the recorder - frankly I don't use those much in real live playing.

I think everyone has probably seen the videos in your link and yes they are very good - however - bet they were not made with the BK-9 right out of the box.

Deane

#372097 - 09/18/13 12:52 PM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: hammer]
Diki Online   content

Two utterly different styles, tunes and lead sounds... I'm not sure there's any comparison to be made.

BTW, did you mute the internal speakers in the PA900, or were we hearing that included with the Bose's sound? Yet another variable not accounted for, possibly.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PA900 sounds quite good, as well. I'd be happy with either. But I don't think you personally have put up anything that a fair comparison could be made with.

It really is getting harder and harder to really award one thing or another a 'winner' position, these days. It used to be a lot easier! Variables such as player skill, type of music played (not easy to get old timers to like any arranger playing rock or hiphop, no matter HOW good it is!), recording equipment etc. cloud the direct comparison. Not to mention personal taste. I've alluded to the vast difference in this many times. A style that is perfect for someone playing a one finger melody over it is often too busy for someone playing a fuller piano part, or a busier jazz improvisation...

That one type of style suits you does not make the instrument any better or worse. It just makes it suit YOU (and possibly those that play like you).

For me, actually, I find the Korg styles a hair busy at times, but Roland's newer styles are starting to catch up. I think the market in general is swinging away from the better player, and more towards the tyro, and styles are becoming more 'do it all for you' rather than 'support you while you do it yourself'.

BTW, Deane, as I pointed out, the LaPietradelParagone videos are ALL in arranger mode. If you want some inspiration for what CAN be done with the BK-9, rather than disappointment with what YOU are currently doing, you can do no better.

#372099 - 09/18/13 01:04 PM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: hammer]
Diki Online   content

And Deane... my demo was straight out of the box. And, to be honest, I don't hear anything in any of those demos that strikes me as much tweaked.

The primary difference is player skill, to be frank.

I never played an arranger EVER that I thought perfect out of the box. And that includes the PA3X. Narrow your choices down to that you can live with without doing much in the way of tweaking, and you narrow your possibilities, too. Every time I have changed arrangers, I have put MONTHS of work in before I felt it sounded the way I wanted it to. And then it gets tweaked on the gig for months more.

If you ever found anything perfect out of the box, you are a lucky man! Or not as picky... LOL

#372102 - 09/18/13 01:32 PM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
The Korg Video was made with only the Bose L1 Compact. The internal speakers were muted. I'll certainly take another look at the videos - I really do have an open mind about all this but the BK-9 is the most complicated of any of the arrangers I have owned to make adjustments on.

Deane

#372106 - 09/18/13 02:56 PM Re: Video of First Gig With BK-9 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Diki sounds great nice job on that guitar vamp...more more more..

https://soundcloud.com/destinkeysuser688180390/bk-9-sn-acguit-jam

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online