SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#371999 - 09/15/13 02:19 AM A Free Keyboard can you resist ?
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Can you resist when you see someone giving a keyboard way on a recycling site or something? Even if its an older model? Do you have to get it ?

#372000 - 09/15/13 02:51 AM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
1st question = Yes
2nd question = Yes
3rd question = No

Bill

#372003 - 09/15/13 04:43 AM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Yes
Yes
No

My home is not gonna be a museum...

Jørgen

#372009 - 09/15/13 10:06 AM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Haven't seen one, but I'd most likely pick it up take it home and give it to someone.
DonM

#372012 - 09/15/13 10:58 AM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Sadly, we are a long way away from when any of these old arrangers become 'collectable'..!

In fact, despite the prices on older synths skyrocketing, I honestly don't think I've EVER seen an arranger appreciate in price!

Mind you, when's the last time you actually PLAYED something that old? Aren't you glad you got rid of the old, and brought in the new?! I'd happily take an old ARP, Moog, or Oberheim home and give it pride of place. But an 80's Yamaha? Not a chance! In fact, now I have the CS back on my BK-9, I am not even looking lustfully at old G1000's any more!

On the other hand, there are many here that think that a Yamaha, even if only three years old, is overdue for replacement, LOL!

#372015 - 09/15/13 01:10 PM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I got an old Hammond (a Northern Hammond, actually) from the basement of the neighborhood church in Glace Bay (my home town) for free...all I had to do was get the thing out of there. This was around 30 years ago, when the church had switched over to a choir accompanied by guitars...sort of a "folk" mass.

I got three buddies (the organ alone was over 400 lbs.)and a pickup truck (paid them a case of 24 beer) and we got the thing out and took it to a guy in Westmount, Sydney NS, who was a well known Hammond expert. I also got the two tone cabinets (not Leslies) with it and the 25-note pedal board...none of them, including the organ, was functioning, and the stuff had been in the church basement for quite a few years. Luckily, nothing had seized up, and the generator would still turn.

Ray MacKay, the Hammond guy, told me it was a fairly rare Northern Hammond Model D, ca. 1939-42. They were made in the Northern Electric plant in Belleville Ontario, under contract with Hammond organ. He said it was essentially a BC in a C style cabinet. It had the additional generator and appropriate switching to create chorus effect and reverse colored presets similar to what we see on the B3.

The organ had quite a history behind it, having been transported from the church several times to be used in stage productions at the Savoy Theatre in town, back when Glace Bay was a booming coal mining town.

To make a long story short, I invested a few hundred dollars in getting it back to working order, and it eventually sold to a guy in Halifax NS a year later for a fairly decent sum at the time. As far as I know, it's still on the go, and the buyer added percussion and a few other extras and is running it through a Leslie 122.

I used the money to buy a Roland Jupiter 8, since I already had a Hammond B-3 with two Leslie 147RV.

So, ya never know...

Ian

#372017 - 09/15/13 01:40 PM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: Diki]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

On the other hand, there are many here that think that a Yamaha, even if only three years old, is overdue for replacement, LOL!

It's what make the World go around Diki, same with cars, Gameboys, IPhones, I pads, Tvs, Blah Blah Blah, time standstill for a few I know that. If you are going to buy something second hand, someone had to buy a new one, savy???

#372019 - 09/15/13 04:30 PM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: Diki]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
I'd happily take an old ARP, Moog, or Oberheim home and give it pride of place. But an 80's Yamaha? Not a chance! , LOL!

Will take any DX7 and SYs from 80's.Yes,a chance.

#372021 - 09/15/13 09:50 PM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: jamman]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: jamman
I'd happily take an old ARP, Moog, or Oberheim home and give it pride of place. But an 80's Yamaha? Not a chance! , LOL!

Will take any DX7 and SYs from 80's.Yes,a chance.

I totally agree. Most modern keyboards still haven't achieved the dynamics, response and expression of good FM patches. They especially sound great when they are run through an effects processor which the DX series lacked.

#372023 - 09/16/13 02:35 AM Re: A Free Keyboard can you resist ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: MusicalMemories
Can you resist when you see someone giving a keyboard way on a recycling site or something? Even if its an older model? Do you have to get it ?

What about you, Ron? Have you acquired something recently for free?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online