SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#371083 - 08/26/13 12:04 PM Re: My Review of the Roland BK-9 [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: hammer
By the way, the Bose L1 Compact has no built-in EQ system - it all must be done either with a mixer or on the keyboard.

I think the Bose systems all come pre-EQ'd with that 'smiley' contour. In fact many of my friends have this poem memorized...

All highs, all lows,
No mids, that's Bose!

If you put a 'smiley' EQ'd keyboard into a smiley EQ'd PA, you are going to get mud and brittle highs! I'd simply take the mastering presets down a notch across the board... But don't forget, there are TWO Mastering sections... One for the Style/SMF, and one for the Keyboard Parts. Remember to change BOTH!

#371084 - 08/26/13 12:57 PM Re: My Review of the Roland BK-9 [Re: Diki]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Diki I am almost convinced.I am waiting here in Canada to get my hands on one to fully test it.I did play it once in Europe when it came out and I really liked keys on it.
I have to look at manual, but how is storing user styles or edited ones.That was the one thing that I didn't like on bk5.I basically stoped using panels.Everything had to go to usb.I hope it's different with bk9.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#371086 - 08/26/13 02:06 PM Re: My Review of the Roland BK-9 [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
it simply means that, for someone used to the Roland OS, Korg do almost everything differently.

And for someone intimately used to a Korg, it is not in the least surprising to find them somewhat perplexed by how Roland do things.

Isn't that the case going from ANY kb manufacturer to another ?!? ...
To me, there is NO OS easier than technics ... but then I've only had technics and KORG ...

#371129 - 08/27/13 10:50 AM Re: My Review of the Roland BK-9 [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Although it was a bit complicated to do, you COULD change your ROM styles on the G/E series into edited ones, so you could call them up with the front panel knobs. But on the BK series, EVERYTHING you do gets stored on the USB and you call them up from there.

It is simply one more thing that makes the old 'Free Panel' system of playing a thing of the past. Mind you, with an iPad, calling the User styles up from USB is quick and convenient, but without one, it's either scroll, scroll, scroll, press, or call them up numerically. Neither is as good as calling them up from the Rhythm Family front panel buttons.

But this is something other manufacturers make you do too (except Korg, at least), and I think they need to reconsider... What's the POINT of all those lovely style selector buttons, if the only thing you can call up with them are the bare, raw ROM styles? Most of us tend to want to edit the factory styles at least a BIT. Which promptly turns them into a waste of front panel space.

Time for a rethink, Roland.

#371131 - 08/27/13 11:07 AM Re: My Review of the Roland BK-9 [Re: tony mads usa]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Tony

My Kn7000 OS amazes me every time I revisit it.

#371146 - 08/27/13 02:51 PM Re: My Review of the Roland BK-9 [Re: hammer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Interesting how each manufacture goes about button assignments.

On Wersi OAS 5 -7 instruments (OAS 5 came out in 2003) all the factory and user sounds and accompaniments are separate, however all the mappings of the sound and accompaniment buttons can be changed, (Each button can have up to 5 levels and 9 sound/accompaniments) you can also create your own mappings which can be stored in the pre-sets if required (Factory mappings are always there so that you can copy them back if needed) thus you are not tied to 1 single mapping system. (You can assign what mapping you want for each pre-set without restriction)

The best part though is that each pre-set (In addition to the mapping) can also store up to 9 accompaniments and up to 9 sounds per layer per manual (U 1, 2, 3, L1, 2, P1 on the smaller instruments or U 1,2,3,4, L 1, 2, 3, P 1, 2 with the larger instruments, in addition the smaller instruments can also have the same number if you purchase the Selector Plus option) which can be taken direct from the OAS Database. (IE they do not have to be already mapped)

Another beauty of the Wersi system is that the accompaniments can be a Wav, mp3, Style, Real Drum Style or Video, while the sound assignments can be Wersi, STS, Akai, External Midi or VST, as they all treated as if they are the same.

As far as I am aware there is no other manufacture apart from Bohm that comes anywhere close to this flexibility.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online