SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#370564 - 08/17/13 09:40 AM "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well, the quest for "the sound" continues - I found another way to boost the signal a bit in the internal mic pre without the expense of that Joe Meek unit that I liked alot. ($250)
I have a small Rolls monitor mixer (PM350b) that boosts the gain through the HP out ... it's a tad dirty in the recording, but it sounds much better live. I'm taking it for a whirl tonight to lighten the load, and see if it helps enough.

Here's a rough (very rough) recording of Zac Brown's "Colder Weather" - I don't really know it well yet ... still brand new to me, but a cute waitress at work loves the song, so I try to oblige. smile

The overall level does have hints of distortion, but I didn't notice it as I was playing. I think in a live setting, it might be OK for these small cocktail jobs.
It's a simple "Standard 8 beat" played in full kb mode with bass inversion on - just piano and strings.

Please comment, but be gentle on arrangement, chords an such - like I said, I hardly know the tune, and I'm reading it it as I recorded it... and STILL managed to juxtapose a few lyrics ... grrrrr (HATE it when that happens!)

Enjoy!

Attachments
Colder Weather.MP3 (170 downloads)

#370577 - 08/17/13 02:08 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Love the song, love your voice!
DonM

#370582 - 08/17/13 03:24 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
wow, if only my songs that I've spent years working on could sound half good as the songs you're just learning, I'd be a happy man smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#370583 - 08/17/13 03:56 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very nice tune, Dave, and very well done indeed...voice is excellent.

Ian

#370585 - 08/17/13 04:08 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Your "Ksintuck" girl just spit her false teeth out and peed her coveralls!

Ladykiller!

Russ (jealous) Lay

#370595 - 08/17/13 06:48 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good one, Dave. I could hear the distortion, while slight without the harmonizer, it was more pronounced with the harmonizer. Love the song - might have to learn this one as well.

Thanks,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#370600 - 08/17/13 08:21 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I learned it this afternoon. Sorta. Great song. I love Zak Brown Band.
Too much like Jimmy Buffet for the Captain though. Not early enough 11th and 13th chords.
DonM

#370605 - 08/17/13 09:04 PM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

I keep bouncing back to "Please come to Boston" in my head ... grrrrr - I nee MORE CHORDS! Help me Russ!!!!!
smile

Gary - yep, the distortion is there cuz of the high output headphone jack. It's just an experiment to see how the internal unit responds with different gain structures. It fails most times.
(sad face)
The KB is a winner in all respects but 2 - the VH is acceptable, but weak, and the MP3 playback is also weak compared to the SMFs. I had to raise the levels of all my MP3 trax that I use to make them balanced. My workaroud - use the iPad for Trax and the VLT2 for vocals and guitar.
Sigh .... I think I'm done testing - I'm polishing a turd here ... the internal mic pre is just average at best, and it won't ever get any better unless Korg does a hardware upgrade.

Thanx for all the positive cheer guys ... I'll post the finished product when I finalize the rig.
smile

#370629 - 08/18/13 06:42 AM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I'm polishing a turd here ... the internal mic pre is just average at best, and it won't ever get any better unless Korg does a hardware upgrade.

Summer almost over...so whats next? .... cool2

#370635 - 08/18/13 08:09 AM Re: "Colder Weather" vocal demo - PA900 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

smile
Thanx Brian!
Dony, I still play 3 shows with school each year and once a month in Ewing .... this rig will get played!
(and there's always the odd one nighter that pops up!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online