SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#370647 - 08/18/13 08:22 AM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Danny, the 950 is awesome except for the keys. If it played more to my liking, it'd be perfect with the VLT2. It's media playback is actually better in some ways than the Korg - higher output and random play feature. I like that for break sets.
Still ... It's for sale. I'll never use 2 boards at the same time, and if that rare occasion pops up - I have my trusted i5s with Roland JV1010 sound module for extra sounds.

#370652 - 08/18/13 08:41 AM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, if I were you, I would keep the S-950 and get rid of the Korg. Forget the key feel stuff - it really doesn't hamper your playing ability at all. You know the OS like the back of your hand, the sounds are phenomenal, the styles are fabulous, and you can use it with an outboard vocal processor and have the best of all worlds. If it helps, find a couple strands of red hair and tactfully place them on the display where they can be seen, then you'll forget about the key feel thing. wink

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#370653 - 08/18/13 09:01 AM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dave, if I were you, I would keep the S-950 and get rid of the Korg. Forget the key feel stuff - it really doesn't hamper your playing ability at all. You know the OS like the back of your hand, the sounds are phenomenal, the styles are fabulous, and you can use it with an outboard vocal processor and have the best of all worlds. If it helps, find a couple strands of red hair and tactfully place them on the display where they can be seen, then you'll forget about the key feel thing. wink

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Gary good advice the S950 is hard to beat.. cool2

#370655 - 08/18/13 11:46 AM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
Uncle Dave Offline

Weeeeeeel .... the key feel actually does influence the way I play quite a bit, and I've noticed a better "fun factor" on the job since taking the Korg - also - it's smaller and fits on the stand setup better. The Yamaha is great for what it is ... but all things concidered, I'd rather be in Korgadelphia!

#370667 - 08/18/13 01:35 PM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unless key feel doesn't matter to you at ALL, the PSR's are the worst feeling actions I've ever played. At the exorbitant price they ask for them, and the fact that everybody else somehow manages to include a decent action at the same or lower price point, Yamaha should be ashamed.

I've played toys that had crisper actions. Hell, my accordions have crisper actions..!

#370669 - 08/18/13 01:39 PM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Weeeeeeel .... the key feel actually does influence the way I play quite a bit, and I've noticed a better "fun factor" on the job since taking the Korg - also - it's smaller and fits on the stand setup better. The Yamaha is great for what it is ... but all things concidered, I'd rather be in Korgadelphia!

cool2
Dave dont you mean Rolandelphia soon?..

#370675 - 08/18/13 02:35 PM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
But of course, Diki. But, have you ever considered that not everyone likes the same key feel as you? Personally, I NEVER want to play weighted keys again - NEVER! I love that light touch, and amazingly, my hands don't get stiff after doing a 4-hour job.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#370678 - 08/18/13 02:47 PM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gary... let's be honest. For starters, even my G70's action isn't 'weighted'. And the BK-9 is lighter than that! None of these things comes even CLOSE to a piano's weight. They are all 'synth' or 'organ' weight actions.

It's got nothing to do with the weight. It is about the crispness, about the quality of construction (lack of 'wobble'), and it is about how it FEELS when you hit the bottom of the travel. There is NO FEEL at all on the PSR's. You might as well be playing a toy (I've played better toys!). I have a friend with an S950. He played my BK-9. He HATES his S950's action (and he didn't like it to start with!)!

I tell you what... I guarantee, if they replaced your PSR's action with a BK-9's (in 61 size), you would LOVE it! It weighs no more than you already have, it is simply crisper, less spongy, and makes you feel like you are playing something you paid $2000 for, not $500. Keep telling yourself what you like, but until you have played one, don't tell me you like yours better. You need to TRY one before you can say that.

#370692 - 08/18/13 03:37 PM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
Uncle Dave Offline

I agree - psr action is the all time LEAST favorite for me.

#370694 - 08/18/13 03:47 PM Re: PSR-S950 choir sounds? [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

I love the lighter Yamaha touch,...I cant explain it but, the great sound between the ears & the fingers when the keys are pressed gives me all the feeling and touch sensitivity I need when playing,...makes sense? keys

Edited by Dnj (08/18/13 03:50 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online