SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#370499 - 08/15/13 10:37 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep... I use the built-in MIDI 'capture' on my arranger to get down what I actually PLAY. But then, when it comes time to edit, polish, substitute, and anything else my imagination feels like, it gets transferred to the computer, and the polish is done there.

I gave up on built-in sequencers decades ago...

#370501 - 08/16/13 12:40 AM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
In the end , we are all saying the same thing. You can use either the keyboard internal sequencer or an external computer to capture your initial ideas. All that is different is the preference that people have as to which tool they use and which they prefer. There is no right or wrong answer its just a preference.

Diki Correctly pointed out that you can do most of the sequencing on an internal keyboard without the use of an external computer. But he asked the question why would you?. I have answered the question why I would. You may not, and Diki may not, and I am sure neither of you are alone in that view.

But it is clear that keyboard manufacturers realise there are a whole bunch of people out there that use their keyboards in different ways and that is why they have accommodated those who wishto use the internal sequencer for whatever reason and also wish to align the keyboard with an external computer.

Everybody is happy and able to make great music as they choose .

#370524 - 08/16/13 12:25 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, I was a very strong critic of the fact that all the BK series until you got to the BK-9 had no internal sequencer or any way to capture MIDI unless you hooked up via USB to a computer or laptop... You could record audio, but not MIDI internally.

I am a strong believer in having a simple MIDI capture in the arranger itself. You usually get MUCH tighter timing that way than slaving a computer to the arranger's clock (or vice versa) and transferring what you play down the USB (or MIDI) pipe, especially with how much sys-ex tends to get used, these days. And yes, I agree that having a simple capture onboard is important for when inspiration strikes at a gig, or at a friend's, or just jamming at the pool!

My only take is that, once that is done, editing is MUCH faster, simpler and easier in the computer. Yes, you can do MOST of the editing capabilities of something like Cubase inside your arranger... But it takes five times as long to do anything serious to the sequence. No argument that you CAN do it all in the arranger, but why slow yourself down unnecessarily?

#370538 - 08/16/13 01:13 PM Re: Help! Which internal sequencer on PA3x for...... [Re: tom moon]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Was going to respond but changed my mind . Cheers

Edited by spalding1968 (08/16/13 01:26 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online