SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#371541 - 09/03/13 11:43 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Diki - I used the CS on very early Roland gear and loved the feature. I don't solo much - I'm more of a vocal stylist than a "players" player. I can hold my own with changes, but I run out of solo ideas pretty quick, so I just keep singin' till it's time for the next tune!
smile

#371549 - 09/03/13 02:16 PM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I only wish the CS info could be saved and stored for later use, rather than having to record it each time.
DonM

#371571 - 09/03/13 09:56 PM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The Roland one can be. We are working on trying to get Roland to update the OS so it can be Linked to the Performance...

#371583 - 09/04/13 05:19 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If only there was a way to sequence the data and save it for instant recall in a performance ... hmmmm.
smile
When you start thinking THAT way - you may as well just sequence the tune! The CS is strongest as a quick notepad for some expressive touches. That's how I see it anyway. Play live - if you need a quick change - use the CS, and if you want several stored options - record them to SMFs. I switch between all formats all night every night ... it's great to have options.
smile

#371599 - 09/04/13 10:18 AM Re: PA900 vocal harmony quick demos ... for [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, there is one VAST difference between an SMF and a Chord Sequence. OK, two!

The SMF is set in stone. Other than using Markers to reorganize the structure on the fly (and truth be told, few even use this great feature), it comes out the machine identically every single time. Might as well be an MP3, right?

A chord sequence, however, is as fluid and changeable as playing in arranger mode is. You still get to choose when the fills happen. You get to choose when the Variations build and ebb. You even get to choose whether to change styles on the fly, either to a related style or something wildly different. You can put in stops and break/fills where you want, and end the piece whenever you feel like it.

And unlike the SMF, you can take over from the CS and play something utterly different. And then restart it and go back to the chord sequence. All seamlessly.

You can't do any of that with an SMF. Yes, the CS's easiest option is to lay down a quick 4 bar vamp, either on different chords or chords from the chorus, and then solo away on it. But it can be so much more!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online