SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#370372 - 08/13/13 12:19 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Speaking of Akai, and to bring back the discussion on topic (the Korg PA-900), it is really unfortunate that this instrument (unlike the PA3X) cannot import Akai samples, but only Wav, Aiff, SF2 and also samples in Triton or Trinity format. I understand the need to cut corners to keep the price low, but what could be the added cost of the Akai compatibility is really a mistery to me: maybe it's just to differentiate the two models?
And, speaking of cutting corners, I am afraid that there is more to the PA-900 than the specs say: true, they took away the sampler section, the separate outs, the digital in/out and so on, but I think that there are also other, hidden, differences. If you go to korgpa.com and listen to sound samples of both the PA-900 and the PA3X, you will probably notice that they don't sound the same. The comparison is easier for some instruments (like the grand piano, the trombone and the acoustic bass), that use the same song (most likely a midifile). To my ears the PA3X sounds more defined, "rounder" (or less harsh, if you prefer). The trombone, for example, has more bottom end and at first I thought that it had a different equalization, but then realized that this greater presence was found also in the mids and the highs. I don't know if it's a matter of different D/A converters, filters or effect section (the PA3X can have up to 8 MFX together, vs 4 on the PA-900), but there is definitely a difference.
I guess that, once again, it's true that you get what you pay for...

#370374 - 08/13/13 12:40 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm a dummy when it comes to this. How would I get a couple decent electric guitar samples (Strats?), comparable to Yamaha or Roland, but not necessarily with all the gimmicks, into my PA3X. I would ALMOST buy another S950 just for the lead guitar sounds, and use it as a second keyboard.
I suppose find Akai samples, then put them onto a USB stick, THEN read the directions in the manual? smile
I really don't care about having them for style parts, just lead instruments. Any suggestions as to an easy way?
DonM

#370379 - 08/13/13 01:39 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think if you start looking at USED sample disks... Akai stuff is out there.

I guess, most PA900 users need to start to get REAL friendly with PA3x users, so they can do the raw import and then finish off the programming in the PA900.

#370400 - 08/13/13 10:11 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: DonM
I would ALMOST buy another S950 just for the lead guitar sounds, and use it as a second keyboard.
DonM

Call me when "almost" becomes "SOON"
smile
Your 950 is waiting for you in Philly.

#370403 - 08/13/13 11:01 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Dreamer]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Originally Posted By: Dreamer
I guess that, once again, it's true that you get what you pay for...

Pa900 is about half the price of Pa3x.
Given that aspect, I find the instrument absolutely amazing.

#370449 - 08/15/13 05:33 AM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Uncle Dave Offline

Now that I have the Vocal problem addressed, the 900 sounds fantastic in my rig. I have been getting raves at work all week.
Thumbs up!

#370451 - 08/15/13 07:01 AM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Now that I have the Vocal problem addressed, the 900 sounds fantastic in my rig. I have been getting raves at work all week.
Thumbs up!

Congrats Dave I knew you could do it ...too bad you cant get in in an "ALL IN ONE" unit....good luck out there.

#370475 - 08/15/13 01:45 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yeah, I guess the "Uncle Dave Signature" model hasn't been endorsed yet. That would be a sweeeeeet board.
(for ME, at least!)
smile

#370490 - 08/15/13 08:09 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: Uncle Dave]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
So Dave, how did you finally resolve the vocal processor issues?

#370496 - 08/15/13 09:01 PM Re: Korg Pa900 First Impressions [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Uncle Dave Offline

Graham,
I bypassed the internal unit altogether and bit the bullet for a VoiceLive Touch2. It gave me superior harmonies and the added routing to pump my guitar through the internal speakers ... something ELSE I was missing! Now, I can use the same vocal/guitar system whether I have a KB on the job, or not. I like that flexibility.

For really quiet, or short jobs, I can live with the internal processor ... I just don't like it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online