SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#369289 - 07/18/13 11:50 AM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
On board speakers can sure come in handy. That's one reason sometimes I considering trading in my T2 for a 950.

I too sometimes play for very small audiences at the NH. Sometimes in small areas for folks the have memory problems or also in places where the AD locks themselves in their office and the staff doesn't do anything to help residents to the performances... But anyways, it does sometimes seem overkill to lug around a full PA system. One of my saxophone/singer colleagues that plays just about daily in the NH only uses a small boom box for his backing tracks and no mic for his vocals. Alto sax in one hand, boom box in the other- that's it. No speakers, mic, stands, lap top, books... He's in and out pretty quick. Me on the other hand, I have my T2 in a huge flight case, a keyboard stand, mic stand, pedals, books, cables, power strip, a banner... all strapped on to a cart. It looks like I'm moving into the place. Hopefully that won't be happening anytime soon (knock on wood)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#369293 - 07/18/13 02:30 PM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: montunoman]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
It looks like I'm moving into the place. Hopefully that won't be happening anytime soon (knock on wood) [/quote]

That's funny. Several years ago I would always say, save me a room. Now that I'm old enough to live in these places, I don't say that anymore.

Joe dance

#369296 - 07/18/13 03:43 PM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Bernie the Cm30 speakers do a nice job in a small room.

#369303 - 07/18/13 06:16 PM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: Bernie9]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bernie, I owned and gave high marks to the CM30's, but the Compact remains easier to tote and set up, as is a BA-330, IMHO. They're much more versatile and again, easier to tote around than two separate units. For a small venue I would still suggest an additional compact amp. Unless the people are in a very close space, a 950 or similar keyboard and vocals need the body boost from being amped up.

Without offending anyone, might I say that anyone who insists on carrying a full size PA to NH-type jobs is working much harder than he has to. I agree that those units could very likely be overkill. Unless you have no other choice, go with a smaller setup.

A note on the Bose Companion speakers. I tried them with music on my computer and TV and returned them as unacceptable. I went with a better sounding and less expensive Logitech system, and would use them with my s910 only if I absolutely had to - and then I'd consider using the keyboard alone.

Edited by cassp (07/18/13 06:49 PM)
Edit Reason: changed some B.S.

#369306 - 07/18/13 07:02 PM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny has a point about singing to a room, but not every room has the same requirements, and not every singer can fill the room the same way.
I sing in many laid back rooms with just the on-board speakers in the s950, and that's the main reason I have one. I have grown all too accustomed to having that "in my face" monitor, and I really miss it when it's gone. The natural acoustic sound of my voice can fill many rooms without amplification, so adding the extra sizzle of the speakers and effects is a nice blend for small rooms and background situations.

I also play my guitar AND my iPad thru those same speakers ... I need to hear the whole mix before I send it to whatever house system I use (the Bose Compact most times). I use the Bose T-1 Tone Match mixer to feed the Compact and the "aux out" feeds back INTO the Yamaha.
Here's the layout:
Ch1- AKG dual wireless mics (for guests) WMS40 Pro mini2
Ch2- My Line 6 modeling guitar, or new Roland G-5 modeling Strat
Ch3- iPad (DJ tracks and custom backing tracks I've made over the years)
Ch4- Yamaha s-950 (aux out is MUTED - very important to avoid a feedback loop from hell)
***Channels 1,2,&3 have a dedicated aux send that feeds directly into the Yamaha aux INPUT, and I have control over volume, EQ and effects from the Bose Mixer.
I keep the main volume of those 3 channels at "0" for most rooms because the combined output from the Yamaha is feeding the Bose Compact and it's already premixed. In unusually loud circumstances, where I need to pump the guitar or DJ tracks or the best man is speaking too softly during his toast - I simply turn UP the main feed to the Compact and the extra volume doesn't overdrive the on board Yamaha speakers. What I hear is always a nice blend, and what the crowd hears is what they NEED to hear.
It's a little confusing to anyone who hasn't used a submix before, but it's VERY versatile.

Anyone need advice on this type of hookup with your own gear ... please give me a shout and I'll talk you through it. Sometimes, having that extra control at my fingertips makes all the difference between sweetness and struggling. C'mon ... to be fair - Yamaha never intended these speakers to handle the load I give them, but with proper care - it's a great setup!

#369314 - 07/18/13 09:06 PM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
My use of the Bose Companion speakers is for quiet dinner parties, where the music is all instrumental. Their sound augments the onboard speakers of the S950 and provides a fuller sound overall. However, another option I use (with vocals, too) is a pair of 150 watt Behringer B205D monitor speakers. They will get loud, but, for sure, weak in the bass response. But, they are very light weight and easy to carry. Mackie makes a monitor that looks just like it. Size and weight are big deals for me. That's the first thing I consider before buying any new gear.

#369327 - 07/19/13 08:36 AM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
On several occasions, I've used the speakers alone, but added a small bass amp or home sub to add some punch without making the top end blare into the room more. That's a great option for fullness, and the Bose compact with no sticks installed, kept on the floor works great for that. Does wonders for the drums and bass.

#369354 - 07/20/13 06:17 AM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm a big Carvin fan. Decent prices and good stuff. This is a nice small gig solution plus it can drive another speaker or passive monitor. 35lbs.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG100D

#369355 - 07/20/13 07:31 AM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Joe,
I had to laugh at your post. I am constantly being asked if I am "New Here" when I arrive at gigs. The residents don't miss a thing.

Deane

#369356 - 07/20/13 07:58 AM Re: First Gig Without My Bose Compact [Re: hammer]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks UD

I believe you gave me the answer to my small venues. How do you handle your vocals? Through your KB or send to Bose?

Bernie

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online