SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#369132 - 07/15/13 08:57 PM Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I need to start hitting the pavement to find some more work... I do have some demo CDs and I guess I could make a DVD with some footage that I already have, but I do have a website with pictures, songs, videos... Is there any point to pass out CD's when they'll most likely end up in the trash? I figure if a perspective client is really interested, that can get on the internet and checkout a website, FB, Twitter, or YouTube faster than they can pop in a CD or DVD. Any thoughts?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#369133 - 07/15/13 09:07 PM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
A Facebook presence is the go I reckon...I still don't have one as I cannot get around the insecurity of Facebook! Leaks like a sieve even in "invite only" mode.

#369136 - 07/15/13 11:28 PM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The whole purpose of producing a demo CD or DVD is for the opportunity to actually talk to a prospective customer. Any introduction any opportunity to connect directly with the customer preferably face-to-face is your best opportunity of closing the sale or getting the booking .Don't believe the hype. YouTube Twitter and Facebook are just electronic posters/ windows into what you do but not who you are . People buy into people .People will connect with you and your service if they feel there can be a good relationship even more so than whether your service is more expensive or not as good as the next guy .. It's that personal connection that will distinguish you from the other guy .

Edited by spalding1968 (07/15/13 11:59 PM)

#369137 - 07/16/13 12:08 AM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You need to determine your market to decide how to advertise, if its medium to mature than what Spalding says is correct, however if it’s for the youngsters then there is not a chance of that approach working. (Physical interaction of youngsters (Apart from in clubs) just like physical media is an alien concept to them these days)

Remember those that are pro-active (Using the correct form of media for their market) will in virtually all cases get more gigs than those that don’t.

Hope this helps

Bill

#369142 - 07/16/13 08:14 AM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Paul word of mouth is the best advertising...if you cant make people "look for you" because your "better" then the rest you pretty much dont have a chance out there against the ho hum competition...those cds will end up in the trash can. A perspective client needs to hear it from other clients, or people who have had a great experience somehow because of your music........just like a good restaurant....if you go out to eat and the food was fantastic you go home and tell all your friends about it,.........BUT, if the food was terrible you go home and tell your friends NEVER to go there to eat!!!!.....now do you get my point.? Good Luck Paul...let the music speak for itself always.

#369144 - 07/16/13 08:36 AM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, this is one of the few things DNJ and I do not agree on. From my perspective, especially in this day and age, plus in this economy, you need to use every tool at your disposal. You need to reach out to all the audiences you wish to target, young and old, Latin, Greek, Italian, etc...

The web site is a tool that can be somewhat effective, just the same as Facebook, and similar sites, but their overall effectiveness is quite limited. Over the years I've found that there are a number of great ways to sell yourself to prospective clients, and all of them eventually result in one on one, face to face meetings where that first impression is the one that counts most. And, the same principles hold true whether you hope to be performing in a restaurant, nite-club, bar, nursing home, retirement community, assisted living center or private parties.

I YOU were going to hire someone to do a job, a job that involved paying top dollar to have a person, or small group, entertain your friends, business associates, relatives, perform for your child's wedding, etc..., YOU would want to meet that person face to face. You would want to ask them questions, set up some sort of contractual agreement, and have a one on one meeting where you could make some sort of accurate assessment of that individual or group. You would also want to get an idea of what type of music they played, and get some references. In many instances, you would want to go to someplace where that individual or group is currently performing and take a good look at their performance skills. All of these things are important, and all can be presented in a good advertising package and direct contact.

Internet advertising is not much different than newspaper and yellow page advertising - it's a shotgun approach. You fire the shotgun up in the air and hope some of the pellets fall on the heads of those you hope to target. Most of the time those pellets don't come remotely close to hitting the targeted audiences. Therefore, the best advice I have is to utilize what I consider one of the best approaches available to us - direct mail. But there's more to it than just putting a flyer in the mail.

In November of 2009 I wrote an article about this and it can be found at http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/marketing.html

Not much has changes since then, other than the economy.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#369150 - 07/16/13 09:21 AM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey Donny, I do see what your saying. That's really the bottom line- the music has to speak for it's self. I'm glad to say I do have some clients that have yearly parties that have had me come back, yearly festivals, NH homes that have me come in up twice a month. At all these venues I always get compliments and people asking for my card. Yes, it does occur to me that they are just trying to be nice or make conversation... But I do think I have a pretty good sense of where I fit in the talent pool. The important thing is that I am always striving to get better and I recognize that there is all sorts of great talent out there. There are also many talented people that spend a lot time and effort looking for work.

Compared to a lot of the members here, I haven't been in OMB that long- just a few years really. Before that I was a sideman(drummer) playing with acts that were working a lot. I did that a long time. In a short, I kind of got spoiled. I was working all the time but didn't ever have to look for work. I had to cut back on that sort of work for several reasons... But now I'm out there on my own trying to get my foot in the door.

I got to say these clubs/bars/restaurants are hard to get into. I know the pay and condition can be horrible. But I find that people that inquire about private events always ask if they can see us perform publically. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to invite them to a NH gig... I'm rambling now but this has been on my mind for awhile.

Gary, as always thanks for your info.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#369157 - 07/16/13 11:21 AM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Paul there's nothing like the REAL performance LIVE for a client or audience.....CD's/DVDs etc can be doctored in so many ways and really are a hindrance to what you actually sound and look like, not to mention the entire FEEL of your act and what it does to an audience can never be felt or experienced for a client versus seeing you perform live or at least have others who have seen you refer you and their feedback says volumes!! Your name has to be synonymous with immediate GREATNESS when mentioned amonst circles of people........

"oh yeah we saw them at my friends wedding WOW!!! they were awesome"

"hery whos playing there?....are you kidding? they are so dam good!!! "

Paul this is what gets you work..... I hope you catch my drift as its gotten me thru life so far after 45+ years as a Full Time pro Musician....all I can say is go with the flow, be better then the rest, give 110% when you perform EVERY time, play what the audience wants always not what you like, be very flexible, & most of all mix it up.

#369164 - 07/16/13 12:48 PM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The problem with DVD/CD's nowadays is, so many people you are talking to don't have a player for them! The cloud is taking over, and fewer and fewer people use optical disks any more. Or have anything with them to play them on.

But a decent video or audio clips on a website can be accessed by anyone, anywhere, with anything from a computer to a laptop, to a tablet and iPad to a smartphone.

#369167 - 07/16/13 01:07 PM Re: Is there any need for a demo CD/DVD now? [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
When a large caterer wanted samples of quiet guitar "mood" music, as she called it, I directed her to a rough I did and posted on YouTube.

As a result, I get 6-10 lunches and dinners a month for top dollar at college president events, Governor's office events, Corporate events, city meetings...all at $100.00 an hour. I figure it has earned me over $22,000.00 so far this year in new business, with a really big recurring contract in the works.

Thinking about doing one on keys. It's really easy to attach a link to an email responding to a request for a rate card, sample, etc.

Works for me!

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online