SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#368886 - 07/10/13 01:59 PM Kurzweil-It's the Sound If you can Get It to Boot
cdog46 Offline

So I have been all excited about buying a Kurzweil PC3 LE7 for ~$1000. It arrived today nicely packed etc. I bought it from a seller with 100's of transactions and a 100% rating. The seller also offers a 14 day return guarantee so I'm covered.

I turned it on and all the buttons came up blinking with a lighted but blank LCD. On the 4th attempt it loaded the presets and it worked for 10 seconds and then went blank.

Funny thing- I have bought many used keyboards on Ebay & the local music store and never had a problem with anything. I am a gadjet geek & have found the electronics in general to be very reliable.

And since-say-sice approximately 1988 I have never had any device that has a CPU and needs to boot to have this specific problem.

Therefore, I find it vexing that this is my specific problem. Believe me-I am well aware that things break. I just don't want my toys to break.

And I am not crazy about Korean electronics; may be now I know why the reason for that. And I can't do a master reset because I don't have a system to reset. May be a firmware USB reset if the firmware has a bootloader? Any ideas? Other than return this beast? Thanks

#368932 - 07/11/13 11:47 AM Re: Kurzweil-It's the Sound If you can Get It to Boot [Re: cdog46]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi,

Post a message over at "Keyboard Corner" on the Musicplayer forums for Dave Weiser. He is a Kurzweil employee of many years standing and a really nice guy as well smile

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/18/page/1

Dennis

#368955 - 07/12/13 01:34 PM Re: Kurzweil-It's the Sound If you can Get It to Boot [Re: cdog46]
cdog46 Offline

Thanks very much for the tip.

#368956 - 07/12/13 01:45 PM Re: Kurzweil-It's the Sound If you can Get It to Boot [Re: cdog46]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
NP smile I have also sent a personal message to Dave asking if it is okay to pass on his personal email addy. If he agrees I will send you a PM with the address.

Dennis

#368958 - 07/12/13 02:33 PM Re: Kurzweil-It's the Sound If you can Get It to Boot [Re: miden]
cdog46 Offline

I appreciate it! That's a good forum. I took my keyboard to an authorized Kurzweil Service center today. I got the tech to open the keyboard because I thought my boot problem could be a loose connector. When he opened the back-we both could not find an unseated connector BUt we did find that some kind of work had been done previously. I am a very experienced electronic tech & have own Korgs, yamahas, and rolands-new & used.
As a class-I have never had any serious problems with synths. The only thing I know about Kurzweils is that they sound great but I have never heard too much about Kurzweils. I don't know if they can be buggy or unreliable. The previous work done whatever it is, just makes me a little nervous. My general experience with modern electronics is: if you have to fix a problem-that should be the end of it. But I do have that choice but I want to keep this insrument! But am I getting a lemon? I'm sure your friend would know for sure!

#368964 - 07/13/13 01:44 AM Re: Kurzweil-It's the Sound If you can Get It to Boot [Re: cdog46]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My K2500 has been bombproof for well over 16 years.

Re. the title... almost anything is the sound if you can get it to boot!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online