SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#368592 - 07/05/13 01:54 PM Tyros 5.
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
I know a lot of people are wondering about if and when the
Tyros 5 or whatever they decide to call it will be out.

I spoke today to a dealer who will be going to view
the product in October and expects it to be available around December here in the UK.

As you would expect he did not know anything about the keyboard...(even if the Tyros name will carry on) but he did seem to be pretty sure that it will not be a touch screen)

Cheers folks ....John.

#368818 - 07/09/13 11:33 AM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jdx]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
it will be Special when it comes out , I was interviewed by Yamaha about a year ago along with George Kaye by Yamaha Designers asking what we want in the next generation George being a store owner and arranger guru and I as a pro player they seem to have the pro player in mind for the next unit I expect it to be Great.

#368821 - 07/09/13 11:49 AM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: musicforyourday]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I spoke with a dealer who is on the "advisory board" and has direct input. He said it will have a touch screen (the one from the Clavinova (600) series.

#368824 - 07/09/13 12:19 PM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jdx]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I am hoping for NO touch screen, since on the 609, they took away dozens of buttons, and I think accessing frequently-used options are much easier/quicker with actual buttons ... (they did add 4 user-programmable buttons, but I think they took away at least a dozen buttons that are ones I use alot on the Tyros).

Jim

#368826 - 07/09/13 01:17 PM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jimlaing]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think all top models should have a touch screen...it makes stage use easier...

I am so use to touch screens..it drives me crazy when I play Dave's Yamaha s950..a nice screen that screams for me to touch it. smile

The one big improvement that would make the BK9 a must have...oh well.. frown

Yamaha has missed the boat for years , forgone the touch screen..

#368834 - 07/09/13 04:03 PM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jdx]
scameron Offline

Gents...i would agree with Fran on this one...the touch screen does indeed reduce gig effort...i purchased 2 pa600's (1 stays home) and i gig with the korg and a psr 910 and i never knew the reduced effort until i purchased the korgs. I forget sometimes (i'm getting older) and have actually pushed the screen on the yamaha:-)...if yamaha would include a touch screen on the next psr i would indeed be interested....stevec

#368840 - 07/09/13 06:13 PM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jdx]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My guess it will have a touch screen. It has about 13 years that Yamaha has had pretty much the same layout and like the new high end Clavinova models I think we will see a touch screen.
(Retired 2021)

#368850 - 07/09/13 11:44 PM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jdx]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Buttons cost a LOT of money, and they tend to be one or two trick ponies. But a touchscreen can do ANYTHING.

It also has the HUGE advantage that, if new features are added, or existing features altered in updates, there's no need for a new arranger with new buttons for the new features. Just a new screen display.

Obviously, no, you can't do away with buttons entirely. But much of the crazy packed with buttons arrangers like the PSR S950 could be simplified and buttons be on screen rather than physical.

The deciding factor is more about the logical choice of what get displayed WHERE, and links from one screen to another. If you have never played a G70, try one out. It has very few display blunders, and a logical flow to the links within screens that keeps navigation to a bare minimum. There are functions that take nine or ten separate actions on a BK-9 that can be done with two button presses on the G70 screen!

That kind of operational simplicity simply cannot be achieved without a touch screen. Or your entire front panel becomes a confusing mess of dozens upon dozens of similar buttons waiting to be accidentally pressed!

I had a Triton long before my G70, and was OK with it's touchscreen, but not blown away. But the G70's uncanny logic at minimizing what you need to touch to get almost anywhere you want to go turned me into a believer! It's not the screen, it's the DESIGNER of the OS that makes or breaks it.

And yes, once you are used to them, it is virtually impossible to NOT touch a nice non-touch screen like the S950 or Motif's! Talk about frustration!

computer

#368945 - 07/12/13 08:17 AM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: Diki]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - actually, I'm going to amend my comment, as follows ...

I'm hoping that if they DO have a touchscreen, that it will be programmable such that the user can have 'favorite functions' available as nice, big, readable 'soft-buttons' for frequently used functions ... perhaps allowing the user to set up say up to 10 such programmable soft-buttons, plus maybe instead of the 4 programmable real buttons on the CVP-609, give us 8 programmable real buttons?!

Just hopin'! I do like touchscreens, but don't want them at the expense of losing lots of frequently-used buttons ...

Jim

#368947 - 07/12/13 08:37 AM Re: Tyros 5. [Re: jdx]
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Hi Folks
As I mentioned when I started this thread the dealer I spoke to seemed pretty sure that there would be no touch screen.
I was checking out the CVP-609 at the time and asked him if he thought thr next Tyros would have a similar touch screen layout.
He hinted that Yamaha had said they thought a touch screen for live use was not a good idea.
I totally disagree and hope that the dealer I spoke to has got it wrong .... I think touch screen is the way forward.
Cheers ... John.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online