SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#368248 - 06/28/13 02:25 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

I posted a couple thousand of them on the PSR-tutorial. They're not remakes of existing styles, but custom styles created from scratch and highly tuned. Of course, in order to play them, you'll need a Yamaha keyboard. You'll find them at http://psrtutorial.com/sty/index.html

Not every style posted is incredible, and may not be in the top-notch category, but of the 64,000 styles posted there are a huge number of them that are absolutely outstanding, especially for a OMB entertainer. And, yes, they are song specific, which is the way most people wanted them, and why those that took the time to create them did such a wonderful job.

It would be quite difficult to find a style file collection as vast as this one anywhere else on the Internet.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368291 - 06/29/13 08:48 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I would not go through 64,000 styles..trying to find decent styles...Maybe they should be rated by members that tried them...and weed out the poorer styles..

I have my Roland library of all quality styles...and I don't want to go through them either..Thankfully 30 or so styles are enough for me...if I need song specific performance..it will be a SMF (not much different from a song specific style).

#368293 - 06/29/13 09:23 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I would not go through 64,000 styles..trying to find decent styles...Maybe they should be rated by members that tried them...and weed out the poorer styles..

I have my Roland library of all quality styles...and I don't want to go through them either..Thankfully 30 or so styles are enough for me...if I need song specific performance..it will be a SMF (not much different from a song specific style).

Unfortunately, what you might really like, I may not like at all, and vice-versa. During the past decade or so, I've been through thousands upon thousands of styles, many of which I would rate extremely high, but because it's so very subjective, I don't post the ratings.

And, yes, those Tune 1000 and other high-quality SMF files are great tools, and with some keyboards you can actually loop the file so it reverts back to a certain point without interruption, which is a neat feature if your keyboard happens to have it. Mine does not. And, using the style files allows me to be a lot more creative, while at the same time providing me with the freedom to change things on the fly.

Now, a lot of those style files have been renamed to specific song titles, thereby allowing you to look for a style file that fits a particular song title, and in some instances, a performer. For example, I have one called the Elvis Shuffle, which fits a multitude of Elvis songs. I also have a folder of styles for just Glenn Miller, each style named for a specific song.

So, on those long, winter days, times when I'm not out sailing, and only working a couple hours a day, instead of watching TV I'll sit down and review style files. It really doesn't take very long to go through 100 or so, weed out the bad ones and save the good ones to a folder, often renaming the style for a specific song title or performer. Before you know it, you have a couple thousand new ones to work with, thereby providing far more diversity in your performances, which IMO, not only makes playing an arranger more fun, but additionally, provides your audiences with a greater variety.

So, Fran, I guess in response to your statement that you "would not" go through 65,000 styles trying to find some decent ones - my question would be "Why Not?" I don't think that's any different that test driving a car, keyboard, amp, guitar, or any other kind of gear. Or, would you just take someone's word that the car, keyboard, amp, etc..., is just fine and let the cards fall where they may?

To me, going through a new batch of styles, and finding some that you like, is almost like getting a new keyboard - but the price is better.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368296 - 06/29/13 09:55 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

I use only about 30-40 styles ......they can cover any songs that I play live....btw the Yamaha S950 is an awesome arranger that is doing a super job for my needs at this time,....enjoy what you play.

#368324 - 06/29/13 11:20 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: Diki]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: Diki
Be nice to hear all these 'custom styles' you guys are churning out...

I think Shin was mentioning about Mid east /balkan ethnic styles with sometimes different time sigs ( like 9/8) and some song specific styles.

Not regular 4/4/ 6/8 or 5/4 US /UK music.

Edited by jamman (06/29/13 11:27 PM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online