SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#368087 - 06/24/13 06:32 PM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I first came home from the U.S. Navy I used a Shure mic, and I believe it was the SM58, but couldn't swear to it. It was considered the "Gold Standard" of vocal mics at that time, which was 1960. I played honky-tonk bars using that mic, a 100-watt Gibson amp and a 6-string acoustic guitar that had a portable pickup in the body opening. I still have the pickup, but the guitars, mic and amp are history.

The mic really sounded good back then, but that was more than a half-century ago. Since then I've upgraded many, many times, and now I strictly use a Crown CM-311A headset mic, which I absolutely love. No feedback problems - ever, great clarity, superb sound quality, and wonderful depth for my voice, which is a bit softer now than it was just a decade ago.

When I was still using handheld mics, which was also just over a decade ago, I purchased several mics, the best of which was only used for a few months before I went to the headset mic, a Sennheiser E-855. At the same time, I also purchased a Samson Q7, which is a fabulous mic, especially for the price. Just about everyone that I've talked to that used the Samson Q7 fell in love with the mic. And, not too many months ago, that mic was selling for just $29 from one of the online music stores. A lot of forum members grabbed them up and they were sold out in a single day.

I still have the Sennheiser E-855, Paul, and it's for sale if you're interested. I paid over $300 brand new, it was used a half-dozen times and in new condition. I'll sell it for $150, let you try it out, and if you or your wife doesn't like what it sounds like, I'll refund the full purchase price. Email me if you, or anyone else is interested.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#368088 - 06/24/13 08:09 PM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: travlin'easy]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Another GREAT choice, Super-cardiod also is the AKG D 5 or D5S, same mic, only one has the "silent" on/off Switch.
My friend Michael Carollo, also a soloist arranger, he used the EV ND767 and could not believe how much better is the D5.
Greetings. keys

#368118 - 06/25/13 02:26 PM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks for great the recommendations. As luck would have it, my brother-in-law, who likes to lurk around here, called me to tell me that he has a few different older EV mics that he will pass on to us. Don, I'd still like to take up your offer on the Peavy mic. And Gary, I'd like to pick your brain a bit about your Crown head set. I think that might work well on my OMB act.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#368119 - 06/25/13 04:11 PM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul,

Email your telephone number to me at travlin_easy@verizon.net and I'll be glad to give you a call and provide any information I can. For me, the headset mic was the best thing I've done in decades. I love the freedom it gives me while performing, don't have to search for the mic while making changes on the keyboard, provides me with constant eye contact with the audiences, and the vocal quality of top-notch.

Now, I must say that headset mics are not for everyone, and it does require a significant amount of vocal control. However, once mastered, you would never go back to a handheld mic.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online