SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#368069 - 06/24/13 10:02 AM Microphone Recomendations
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I currently use a Shure SM 58 on my wife’s vocals. It sounds good but it picks up all sorts of other noise on the stage- like the Latin percussion instruments and when the VH is on it effects my KB sounds. I want a hand held mic that will just pick up her voice. She not a real powerful singer so mic that can get real loud with no feedback would be good. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#368071 - 06/24/13 10:15 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
Duane O Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, California, USA
My wife and I both use the Sennheiser 421. Works really well.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MD421

Duane

#368073 - 06/24/13 10:28 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I found the SM58 picks up a lot of noise, especially low end.
I have several that would be far better, especially for females.
My favorites are Sennheiser 855 and AKG D5.
I have one that has been used only once or twice, that was designed for girls. It is similar to SM58, but less noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-White-Dynamic-Handheld-Microphone/dp/B003A4KYK4/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

I'll make you a deal you can't refuse! I'd like to see someone get some use from it. It is beautiful.
DonM

#368075 - 06/24/13 10:54 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: DonM]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
When I am not using my
Wireless I use a sennheiser 835. Very good mic it has a deeper sound and very full.

Edited by musicforyourday (06/24/13 10:55 AM)

#368076 - 06/24/13 11:08 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Hi Don, how much do you want for the peavy mic? Do you really think it would pick up less noise than the SM 58? It kind of looks the same... I tell you, the SM 58 picks up everything!

Edited by montunoman (06/24/13 11:20 AM)

#368077 - 06/24/13 11:08 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

EV 767

#368079 - 06/24/13 11:21 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Sorry Don, I meant to send my response as a PM...

#368081 - 06/24/13 11:45 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two important things to consider...

First off is, if she isn't a strong singer, by the time you get her gain up to where it picks her up well, it's going to pick up a lot more of anything else! One solution to this (or at least a slight fix!) is to make sure she keeps the microphone virtually touching her lips while she sings. If she is holding the mike away from her lips, you'll need more gain, which equals more bleed. Make sure she stays right on it. If she tends to back off as she gets louder try putting a hair of compression on the mike, rather than her move it around.

Secondly, there is the issue of pickup pattern... SM58's are cardioid pattern. This means, essentially that the microphone rejects sounds the BEST from wherever it is pointing. That is, if the business end of the mike is held directly in front of the singer, the mike rejects sounds from whatever the other end is pointing at(180º away). This is designed so that monitors are directly in front of the singer, and the mike points up at 45º and the monitor is rejected the most.

However, there are other pickup patterns. Hyper-cardioid, or super-cardioid patterns reject picking up best from 45º or so from the SIDE of the mike. This is really good if your monitors are to the side of you (like most keyboard players have to have them), or you have instrumentalists next to you you want to keep out the mike.

So, all in all, I'd highly recommend an EV N/D767a if this is the case. If not, the female optimized N/D367s is a good choice. Both are hotter than hell, reject feedback amazingly well, and are crisp, full and robust. I've used the EV N/DYM series for well over 20 years, not a single complaint (other than my trusty 457 got stolen a few years back!). I currently run a 767, and it sounds great.

The last thing in the equation is monitors... TBH, if she is willing to try, I might suggest some inexpensive in-ear earphones, either wired or unwired (if she moves around a lot). For one thing, she can have the vocals incredibly loud in her ears without the slightest hint of feedback, and if your board has sufficient aux/effect/monitor sends, she can have exactly what she wants in there without disturbing the stage sound. And none of it will bleed into the mike.

Hope this helps.

#368082 - 06/24/13 11:50 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
All good choices.I use e945 and I like it.
Also when you adjust her mic, less is more.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#368084 - 06/24/13 11:54 AM Re: Microphone Recomendations [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Paul, I'll send it to you and you can try it out. $25. if you like it. It includes matching white cable.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online