SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#367595 - 06/15/13 09:04 AM Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I mostly play as OMB or sometimes a dou with my wife. Once in a blue moon we get to add a few other musicians which I love to do. My wife is on vocals, my best friend is one Latin percussion/vocals, my long term colleague is on alto sax, and a guy I just met is on guitar. In fact that we his first time to play this tune he said. Anyways, we got set up early at a house party and did a sound check.

I hope you enjoy. Happy Fathers Day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHyWgVMGqk

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#367601 - 06/15/13 10:45 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Nice Paul!!

#367602 - 06/15/13 10:52 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cool... Real percussion and guitar fix what is often the weakest thing about arrangers!

#367606 - 06/15/13 12:02 PM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Paul ... LOVE IT !!! ... great sounding group ... clap clap clap ... just strange that the guitar player never played the tune before ... ??? confused1 ...any more vids from that party? ...
and they do house parties BIG in your neck of the woods, eh ?!? ... party

#367624 - 06/15/13 02:29 PM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: montunoman]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Nice work Paul! The bossas are may favorite, especially when sung in the original language. Kudos to your wife! Your piano playing was also spot on.

Joe

#367651 - 06/16/13 06:27 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: Songman55]
montunoman Offline

Thanks for the comments and to all those that listened to my first ever video I've put on the internet.

Diki- yes I love to use "real" players whenever I can. We've used all sorts of combinations: Drumset, bass, vibes,trombone, violin... I'm surprised more people don't intigrate live players with an arranger.

Tony- I think the guitar player has probably heard the tune but said he never played it on a gig... he is a classical guitarist and he writes his own nuevo flamenco
music. He did fine as long as he had a chart. And yes we have lots more videos... I just need to learn about video editing.

Joe, thanks for the kind words. My wife is Mexican but she enjoys singing in Portgues too. She's starting to sing a bit in English as well.

#367660 - 06/16/13 07:54 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, as much as I love bossas, for some strange reason, my audiences rarely dance to them. They'll cha cha, rumba, samba, etc..., but for some reason they just don't bossa. I loved your arrangement and your wife is an excellent singer.

Thanks for posting this,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#367662 - 06/16/13 09:35 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Paul, as much as I love bossas, for some strange reason, my audiences rarely dance to them. They'll cha cha, rumba, samba, etc..., but for some reason they just don't bossa. I loved your arrangement and your wife is an excellent singer.

Thanks for posting this,

Gary cool

agree with Gary I use Bossa as a background for cocktail parties, intimate gatherings, dinner etc,...

#367665 - 06/16/13 10:18 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: montunoman]
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
Nice mate! I like it smile

#367732 - 06/17/13 04:32 AM Re: Our Rendition of The Girl From Ipanema [Re: BBBB]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: BBBB
Very nice!! Enjoyed that! clap Nice integration of arranger with live instrumentals. Sound was great -how was it recorded?
Cheers!
Brian

Thanks Brian. It great to be able to play with other guys. The arranger KB gives us lots of flexibility. In this case, I just muted the guitar track on the T2 and let the guitar player do his thing.

It was recorded with a Zoom Q2HD, with the built in mic. I put two Bose Compacts facing the band and used a Roland BA 330 next to the percussionist. The room had really good acoustics. I'm good friends with the owner of the house and he said we can record thier anytime, so we're planing to do so again soon...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online