SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#367690 - 06/16/13 04:29 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
In truth, Boo, you DID title the thread 'Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously?', not 'Who is the best musician on this forum?' so it's hardly fair to dismiss the answers. They ARE to the question you asked...

That you changed the question in the body of the OP probably escapes most people, as they answer the title...

Yep, what he said laugh I would just add selective ignorance.

#367710 - 06/16/13 07:16 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't give a rat's behind who the best jazz player is, and neither do 99% of people. I'd much rather play something people want to hear and/or dance to.
I'll bet you would get way more response on a jazz forum, if there are any.
To me music is not a contest, it's a pleasure and a privilidge to be able to do it at a level that others can enjoy hearing. Playing arranger is way more than how many notes or chord changes you can fit in.
DonM

#367712 - 06/16/13 07:40 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I concede to the majority. Besides, DonM is twice as big as me!!!!

#367716 - 06/16/13 09:17 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Still love ya Boo! Hope you had a great Father's Day.
DonM

#367718 - 06/16/13 09:35 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: DonM]
brickboo Offline

I wish you, Susan and the boys the best too Don.
Boo

Don, is Cavanaugh still kicking?

#367802 - 06/18/13 07:14 AM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Boo, I'm the best player I can be, but many can play me under the table. Sadly, most of my recordings are money scores and I cannot share them. I sent Don a score rough a few years ago and he posted it. Don't know if he still has it, but it contained some pretty strange, but fun upscale improvisation.

I have permission to share that one, so I'll ask don to look for it, and try to locate it myself.

Russ

P.S.

I know there were some problems voiced about the subject, but I LOVED IT!

Improvisation is MAGIC when it happens. Mo "bread" for most of us when we work hard enough to get any good at it, but that's one of the major crosses jazzers have to bear!

Thanks for taking the time to post a topic that gets at the core of why I'm a musician. (Well, that and P***Y).

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/18/13 07:15 AM)

#367803 - 06/18/13 07:30 AM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

I think this is it:

www.donmasonmusic.com/RussLay.mp3

It is 8 minutes long, so get some coffee first. smile

DonM

#367806 - 06/18/13 08:02 AM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: DonM]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
After listening to that, you get my vote Russ.

#367807 - 06/18/13 08:08 AM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, Don. I have to say, this was not done on an arranger, but was a rough sound score for an industrial film. I played all the instruments on this rough, but only B-3, piano, guitar and bass on the final.

The final was done with a B-3 and real guitar.

This is pretty typical of my industrial work, and is one of the few a client will let me share. While I can't get specific, the client is a world-leading automobile manufacturer.

I am particularly proud of the improvisation on the final piece, but I don't have permission to share it.

It's a shame that there is no market around here that pays any dough to play this kind of stuff or any improvisational material, for that matter.

Also, guys, remember that film scores are usually written in movements for patching, linking and editing to time, and have a pretty corny, but strong beginning and ending for use under titling and credits.

OH well, it pays the bills!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/18/13 08:09 AM)

#367810 - 06/18/13 08:44 AM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Russ, thanks for appreciating the topic.
Don, I appreciate the post.

Russ, anyone who is a musician would know that you are a more than adequate improvisor from just reading your post over the years.

Thanks again,
Boo

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online