SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#367674 - 06/16/13 01:18 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks, Boo...

I always remember the old Saturday Night Live skits 'Lowered Expectations'..!

If you can't live with those, time to hang it up! Of course, we all push, practice and listen. But if your goal is Bird or nothing, save the time and chose nothing now!

As a practical gigging keyboard player, I realize a lot of my listening and practice time needs to be spent on more than JUST jazz. While having an exhaustive command of II-V-I turnarounds is OK, it doesn't help much with a good banjo emulation, or getting the bobble and skank down cold in a reggae tune, or what to do when playing an old rocker!

So, 'lowered expectations' helps me musically, practically, and emotionally!

I'll try to be Bird in my next life..!

#367675 - 06/16/13 01:25 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: Diki]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Profoundly and well said Diki.

#367676 - 06/16/13 01:28 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

I say who are WE to judge?

#367677 - 06/16/13 01:35 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I say who are WE to judge?

Can I remind you of that the next time you hold an opinion? rotf2

If you haven't got an opinion, you simply don't care...

#367678 - 06/16/13 01:58 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think I'll cast a vote for ME! What the Hell, I do it all. Sing, play (not very good, though), keep the dance floor packed, schmooze the ladies, book more jobs in a month than most of the full bands do in a year, I really don't like Jazz, but once in a while I'll do a few Jazz numbers.

I've made a fairly decent living in music (and just about everything else I've ventured into over the past half-century), and music has provided me with sufficient income to purchase a sailing yacht, keep a roof over my head, and keep the cars on the road. Music has made it so that I don't own anyone money, I continue to run a successful entertainment business, and for the first time in my life I can take as much time off as I want and still have a reasonable income. So, with all those attributes, despite the fact I really don't like Jazz, I vote for ME.

Later tonight I'll probably vote for Don Mason, Tony Madalone, Donny Pesce, Uncle Dave, Fran, Paul, John, Paul and Ringo, and a bunch of others. Then again, I might just vote for me again, depending on how I feel after a couple Green Coconut Margarettas. Boo, we've been friends for many, many years, but damned, this is a dumb-assed thread.

Bottom's up!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#367679 - 06/16/13 02:22 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary call and give me your address, I send you a few of my "Ativan." Haha!

I just used the same topic because I couldn't post to the old topic for some reason.

Everyone listen close. This is not about who is the best OMB, I want to know who is the best musician member on this forum.

Read my question again. ALL I ASKED WAS: DID ANYONE HERE KNOW OF ANYONE ON THE FORUM WHO COULD PLAY LIKE THE GUY THAT DIKI POSTED ON THE OTHER SAME TOPIC. I COULD GIVE A CRAP WHO IS THE BEST OMB GUY HERE. I AM INTERESTED IN WHO CAN PLAY AND IMPROVISE LIKE THE GUY IN THE DEMO. HOW CAN THIS BE MISS UNDERSTOOD.
I WANT TO KNOW WHO IS THE BEST MUSICIAN. GEEZ!!!!!!!!!
DON M SAID RUSS. SO FAR WE HAVEN'T HEARD FROM RUSS. I'D LIKE TO HEAR ANY UPTEMPO DEMO THAT RUSS MAY HAVE. IS THIS HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

I'm gonna love ya anyway Gary. I don't give a crap what anyone says about ya friend.

#367680 - 06/16/13 02:32 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
Diki Offline

As I said on a different thread, truth is, by the time you can play as well as that guy, you aren't really interested in being an OMB...

You might do solo jazz piano in jazz clubs or concerts, but you don't go out with an arranger to gig!

#367682 - 06/16/13 02:50 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I don't care - I'm still votin' fer me! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#367685 - 06/16/13 03:28 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I don't care - I'm still votin' fer me! wink

Gary cool

DAMN !!! ... I was hoping it was MY turn !!! mad

BTW Gary ... thanks for spelling my name correctly ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (06/16/13 03:29 PM)

#367688 - 06/16/13 03:55 PM Re: Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously? [Re: brickboo]
Diki Offline

In truth, Boo, you DID title the thread 'Who gets your vote for OMB performance? Seriously?', not 'Who is the best musician on this forum?' so it's hardly fair to dismiss the answers. They ARE to the question you asked...

That you changed the question in the body of the OP probably escapes most people, as they answer the title...

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online