SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#367369 - 06/09/13 09:25 PM Re: Inspirational Pax3 [Re: MattyB]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are several Beatles styles in the Musikant group. Korg even released a Gangnam style. Barf.
DonM

#367374 - 06/09/13 10:33 PM Re: Inspirational Pax3 [Re: MattyB]
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
Thanks for your replies...

I should of given a little more detail.

Basically i want to watch others on there Pax3 playing songs I know. There is a lot of arabic and middle eastern type of songs on youtube. (Nothing wrong with that..some of it actually is cool) BUT I want to see more 40's, 60,'s 90's 2000's songs from the western world.

I am inspired now to learn and study the Pax3. It took me to the point that I had a buyer for my keyboard and it got me upset. So i'm not selling. Im going to stick with it...be creative and enjoy it.

Thanks for you help...I will keep posting with questions smile

#367378 - 06/09/13 11:42 PM Re: Inspirational Pax3 [Re: MattyB]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: MattyB
Basically i want to watch others on there Pax3 playing songs I know. There is a lot of arabic and middle eastern type of songs on youtube. (Nothing wrong with that..some of it actually is cool) BUT I want to see more 40's, 60,'s 90's 2000's songs from the western world.

I

since most Yamaha players are form US/UK/West EU and Asia , most of them will play western pop/rock/Jazz/Swing /Ballads 4/4s ( some 6/8s) in general. Since Yamaha has vast users for more than a decade ( mainly after introduction of cheaper yet 4 variation/4 fills psr 2000 and upwards) many styles and (intro /endings for most famous songs are already created for you to simple load and play.

Ofcousre mega voice and relatively new SA voices make harder for other manufactures to convert thousands of yamah styldes to their format.As i stated before in another post Yamaha has more styles athan any all manufactures combined.

Korg in the other hand has better sound editing/hardware/Seq/VH etc.Since TOTL Korgs have sampling , it's the arranger of choice for most east EU/balkan and mid east musicians. PSR A series still dont do well compared to lower PA series either.Better third party support, better drum ethic samples ,joystick, more complex time signatures like 9/8 are already wriien for Korgs since I3 era. But what I see with most western musicians using KORG are either singers ( better VH/use SMFs) / use it in a band for it's editing /realtime or in studio for editing/creating.

On the other hand, arranger players who love to plug and play without time to create new styles, who has busy schedule to play cover music find Yamahas unbeatable ( despite it's hardware, less features) . Someone somewhere will have the 90% of the styles that you need ( may need additional tweaking).Most styles are just one email away.If you play ARRANGER ONLY music it's hard to beat Yamaha ( for US/UK music).(4/4 8-16 beats ballads/Dance , etc).Add that to 3rd party compter software written for Yamaha such as Michael Bedesem's StyleUpdater program etc, the possibilties ( styles wise) are endless without investings hours and days for one style with mediocre results.

Plus all KORGs prior to PA3x ( and 600) only has 2 fills plus a break/no autofills/some hicupps in fills ( meaning I3 to PA 2x),making most legacy styles dont cut well compared to YAMAHA ( which is more than 10 years ahead ; PSR 740 (1999) had what PA 3x (2011) now has ( 4 fills and auto fill).Multi pads also relatively new in KORG compared to Yamaha ( with PA 1x).

My recommedation to you is this.Get a MOTL Yamaha ( PSR S710/750) or rent it out for a month. You can only decide then.

Since your gig location is HK ( I'm assuming) , like other east or south east asian countries , customers expect more top 40's /country/western songs ( Yamaha will do well without a sweat ). Lionel Richie/John Denver is bigger there compared to Stevie Wonder or Al Jarreau.

Go to KORG PA or even paid sites and compare this ( free to down load and can be used with your new MOTL arrangers).ALl with 4 variations and 4 fills.

http://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-740.html

http://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-9000Pro.html
http://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-3000.html

http://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/Tyros3/tyros_3.html
The list goes on.

I would recommed you to go to PsR tutorial and ask questions ( Most players are US/Uk /Aussie/South African and some WEst EU / asian musicians.
Same is true for KORG ( most mid east /East EU musicians).

Edited by jamman (06/10/13 12:01 AM)

#367383 - 06/10/13 05:23 AM Re: Inspirational Pax3 [Re: MattyB]
Tostie Offline

I think the PA3x has quite some decent styles for recent pop/rock music. I played it for more than a hour a few weeks ago. In my opinion, it's not the instrument that defines the boundaries of what is musically possible, but the player's creativity.

Best Regards,

Joost

#367389 - 06/10/13 08:12 AM Re: Inspirational Pax3 [Re: Tostie]
MattyB Offline

Loc: Australia/Hong Kong
Joost!

Your the man I keep watching on youtube for inspiration! That's why I wanted to get a Tyros 4 because you make it sound so good. But I have learnt now that its not the actual machine but the player. I have being spending a lot of time now on my Pax. It is sounding better!

Keep up the uploads Joost. smile

#367394 - 06/10/13 10:03 AM Re: Inspirational Pax3 [Re: MattyB]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It has ALWAYS been the player primarily.

Bad players and demonstrators have managed to make every single arranger, including the TOTL Tyros4, PA3X and Audya's sound absolutely terrible..! On the other hand, we have also heard great demonstrators and players make them sound amazing.

If that doesn't illustrate my first point, I don't know what does!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online