SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#367038 - 06/02/13 07:28 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Mackie:

Before you "crawl back under that rock-haven" let me thank you for having the courage to share this topic with us. I'm not a performing talent like most of the guys here but I use styles all the time to create rough demos of my songs. The video was interesting and sure brings out some of the points made by the others... but at least I know it's possible.

I wonder if the 910 has the same capability? While I'm waiting for someone to reply, I'll get out the manual and do some homework.

Along similar lines... have any of you ever created a new "voice" (as Yamaha calls them) or instrument? I'm still needing a dobro or flatop guitar sound for accompaniment in Country or Folk or Bluegrass music.

All the best to all of you,

Dave Rice

#367045 - 06/02/13 01:11 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave,

The S-910 has the capability of creating both the styles and voices. I believe you could capture the Dobro guitar sound very easily by modifying the banjo voice(s) is the keyboard's Sound Creator program and the mixing console effects, then save it as a custom voice. It's not all that difficult to modify one of the existing voices/instruments.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#367047 - 06/02/13 01:34 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you extend the decay (not the release) of a banjo sound so it sustains longer, you can get pretty close to a dobro.

#367048 - 06/02/13 04:36 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks, Gary & Diki:

I'll be giving your suggestion(s) a try this evening. Thanks so much to both of you.

Best regards,

Dave Rice

#367049 - 06/02/13 05:38 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But... A Dobro is usually played with either a bottleneck, or finger picked with LH bends. So it's tough to nail in arranger mode, if your LH is tied up playing chords and can't use the bend lever.

#367050 - 06/02/13 05:39 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
video certainly makes it look easy, but,
a person probably requires at least 3 skill sets.

1. Knowing exactly how one wants the style to sound, and also knowing which notes are allowable for the various types of style tracks. (Manual I beleive does explain what notes can be used.)
I've always sort of thought of styles as mini compositions.

2. The ability to play reasonably well, or it can become tiresome recording the same track over & over again. Some keyboards have better editing functions than others, so the odd blooper could be fixed without re-recording.

3.Working out the settings etc for the style tracks so that they play back correctly over the various chord changes.
Again the manual should cover that.

If the onboard styles aren't 100% suitable there is the option of finding a style that's pretty close to what you want and re-recording particular tracks to make it more suitable .
There's also the option of copying tracks from one style to another, or from variation to variation within the same style.

I personally don't record from scratch, I lack skill set no.1.
i don't know what I want till I hear it. haahaa hence I mainly convert , edit & swap around style tracks.

Skill 2 , I could get away with only because my korg's got great editing functions.

Working out Settings etc , I've spent a fair bit of time on, so reasonably comfortable with that one.

It's always worth reading the manual's section on style recording, you may be amazed at what can actually be done.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#367059 - 06/02/13 09:14 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: rikkisbears]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
This is where the Audya really shines - not style creation, but style modelling. All I need is a normal midi style with a good intro & ending. Then I simply insert the live parts in the various tracks, different for each variation.

I did 4 or 5 styles over the weekend & once again I am AMAZED at the end result & how little effort it took to create. Hard to understand for anyone who does not have an Audya. I hardly use any style as is any more.

AJ or TWD, one of you should really post a short video here demonstrating this. AJ, why don't you cut a part out of your tutorial video & post here for all to see? It would really be an eye opener for many.

Henni

#367063 - 06/03/13 04:25 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Henni]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Henni,
interesting. Don't quite understand what you mean, do you basically cut up a midifile and put the sections into the various style parts ? If so, do you actually do chord changes or just trigger the various style parts , as is.

I can do something similar to what I mentioned above ie chop the midifile into verses , chorus etc and assign the parts to the variations, fills etc. Limitations are only 8 tracks per style part, and one doesn't do chord changes, just basically trigger each variation etc as required.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#367064 - 06/03/13 04:32 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: rikkisbears]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

The Audya, especially with the Ajam conversion, literally has many, many hundreds of various live audio guitar loops, many, many hundreds of live audio bass loops, more than a thousand five hundred live audio drum loops, many hundreds of audio drum grooves, many, many piano, brass, reed etc arp & lics sections that can each literally be browsed into each track of every variation of every style & even into the intros & endings should one wish.

Each one of the above plays different loops for different chords!!!

The drums & bass & most other sections comes complete with breaks & fills & auto fills and the bass comes with some stunning riffs in between that all happen & play automatically.

So, I double click any part of any style, select the first audio loop and then start to scroll through them one by one till I find something to my liking. Then I set the pan, volume & effects for that specific track for that specific variation that effects only that track for only that variation.

It is like taking any musician on any instrument playing just about any style possible on that instrument & placing him wherever & whenever I want... And the quality of these audio loops is really something to beheld!

Or I can replace any midi with one of the super solo specially sampled voices!

The possibilities & combinations is endless and will take you wherever your imagination leads. It is really awesome and has to be seen & heard to be appreciated.

Imagine taking any section out of any MP3 or Wave track, combine them all in one where you are in complete control, and you are only beginning to grasp what is possible in the Audya... I am not joking in the least!

Kind regards,

Henni

#367080 - 06/03/13 03:09 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Henni]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Henni,
wow, that sounds really awesome, though without having hands on experience, hard to fully comprehend.
Ketron certainly are ahead of the time with inovation.
I'd totally misunderstood what you meant on your earlier post, so thank you for clarifying.

About the only audio loops I've had anything to do with are the Real Tracks in Band in a Box.
Basically you have to type in your chord progression first
( no realtime arranger functions), then choose a style , audio, midi, or mixed.
One does have the option of changing individual style tracks , so if you're not happy with the midi guitar track, you can browse thru & swap it for an audio guitar loop or a super midi loop.
Quite interesting, but not as good as having a keyboard that can do it. Wow.

[quote=Henni]Hi,

The Audya, especially with the Ajam conversion,

Edited by rikkisbears (06/03/13 03:11 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online