SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#366975 - 05/31/13 04:26 AM style making on Psr 950
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I'm very impressed with the style making on the PSR950, it looks very simple.

Here's! Bert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si1Up8qpUTs

Frank.

PS This could be my new arranger, looking good.

#366976 - 05/31/13 06:10 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

This video has been discussed a lot. Not that easy at all. ;-)

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/358815/1

Regards
Jørgen

#366979 - 05/31/13 06:26 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Anyone that believes creating a style is easy obviously hasn't taken the time to do the job that it takes to make a great sounding style with all the bells and whistles.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366980 - 05/31/13 06:58 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Anyone that believes creating a style is easy obviously hasn't taken the time to do the job that it takes to make a great sounding style with all the bells and whistles.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

I agree. However, if you know how to drum on the keyboard, it's not that hard to create a drum/bass groove to jam to.

But to create a three intro, 4 variation, 4 fill, one break, + three ending style - that would take hours, and would probably never sound as good as the Yamaha Premium Styles. If I'm correct, all variations have to be recorded in CM7 in order to be able to work.

I think Yamaha is a great brand because there are so many great styles that have already been made, and you know that Yamaha is going to make a lot more.

#366981 - 05/31/13 07:08 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: travlin'easy]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Could not agree more. But then why would anyone in his or her right mind start creating styles with the tens of thouasands available, either for grabs or for money ? And start by tweaking the styles nearest to your purposes, there is so much you can actually alter in styles to make them sound more up your sleeve..........

regards,
John

#366987 - 05/31/13 08:13 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry and John, you are both correct. Over the past two decades I've created about a dozen styles from scratch. It took weeks to get that first style I created to sound good enough to use in public. And, it was a bare-bones style for the song "My Girl." A decade later, Jorgen Sorrenson's MIDI to Style program became available, and while it did a good job of establishing the basics of a style, you still have to do lots of tweaking, tuning, adding OTS settings, adding Multi-pads, etc..., and this isn't something that is accomplished in a few hours as well. It's a lot of work.

Over the years I've shared my creations with others on this and other forums. Some of the 50,000 plus styles I now have in my archives are fantastic, while the vast majority are mediocre at best. Then there are some that are just plain awful. Most of the styles in the fantastic category come from folks in the UK that are both very talented, and they also tend to be very creative. Additionally, many of these individuals were either retired and had the time to dedicate to these projects. To them, I am eternally grateful.

Now, if anyone has a need for a Yamaha style for a specific song, let me know via PM or email and I'll do my best to find it. For those that I have sent style files to in the past, they can attest that I only send the best sounding styles. But keep in mind, that I'm limited to Yamaha, and I'm also limited to somewhat older music, therefore, if you're looking for something for a song newer than 20 years, it gets a bit more difficult to find a matching style with the exact intro and ending.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366991 - 05/31/13 10:53 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The question was asked why would anyone in the right mind want to create styles. Some people actually like creating styles and creating things that are new and unique and not just mimicking other peoples music. You should try it if you have the time. The problem here is that many of the users are professional musicians and have very little time actually just have fun cresting original music on their instrument .

#367000 - 05/31/13 01:04 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have you any of YOUR original created styles for us to listen to, spalding?

#367004 - 05/31/13 02:46 PM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: Mockie]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
This song i did about 3-4 years ago called "praise is what i do " is a style i programmed from scratch for the young hope choir in Birmingham . There are many examples of styles where I have reprogrammed the drums and bass pn my you tube site but this one is 100 percent me . The song is not mine but the style is. The audio is taken from a DVD the choir did with the same title . I could only post clips of the live audio because of the sensitive nature of posting children singing on the web .

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=-fOwxh8tIdk

I will dig up some recent examples when I get the chance

Actually Diki if you send me your email address I will send you a clip of another live performance of another style I created from scratch for the choir called awesome wonder . You can see me performing live using the style , multipads and sliders bringing in and out all the instrumentation. But I can't post it generally because of the children.

Edited by spalding1968 (05/31/13 03:01 PM)

#367023 - 06/01/13 09:54 AM Re: style making on Psr 950 [Re: travlin'easy]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Nuff said, I think it's time for me to crawl back under my

rock, if you know what I mean.

Frank

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online