SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#367758 - 06/17/13 10:17 AM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, Dennis... If you really like those BIAB guitar loops, nothing to stop you rendering them to audio, importing the loop, and then playing it alongside an SMF (maybe made from the arranger play section) of the tune, using the Key Audio feature.

The sequencer will record when and where you trigger the loops, and save it to the SMF, so it can be hands free. Admittedly, you could also render the entire tune to audio and use that (chopped into its component sections for rearranging freedom as I told on another thread), but this would allow you to mix and match, if you wanted.

Tie that to a sub 21 lbs weight (9kg or so for you metric boys!), and you are looking at a VERY powerful live keyboard that can go way beyond simple arranger play or SMF playback with a minimal freight overhead..!

#367760 - 06/17/13 10:35 AM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hmmm...now there's an idea. I hadn't quite thought of it that way, but that would be certainly do-able.

Dennis

#367762 - 06/17/13 11:47 AM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

How are you using those BIAB Real Tracks now, Dennis? Directly out of the laptop, or are you transferring them to some keyboard first?

#367764 - 06/17/13 12:07 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

I use them using BIAB direct and using the Conductor tool, which allows seamless jumps to ANY section of the song. I also use the Jukebox tool which allows the stacking of selected tunes to play at a gig.

Even though it is 100% audio (bass and drums included), the jump between parts is smooth with no audible glitching. I only use jumps if some bright spark decides they want to dance JUST as the coda starts laugh

Sorta makes it a pseudo-arranger wink

All of the tunes on my SC pages were done using it. No midi at all.

So with the Audio feature of the BK - well there are possibilities in that direction.

Probs the main thing is being able to get away from using VSTi keys - if they are as good as you say on the BK.

The other thing I am hesitant about IS the keybed. The A70, though old has a lovely action (very similar, if not the same as the G70, even with the slightly concave key surface) and from what I am reading the BK bed would be somewhat of a come-down. And before you suggest it laugh , I am NOT a twin keyboard sort of person.

Dennis

#367765 - 06/17/13 12:34 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Me neither, Dennis. Yes, the action is quite a step down from the A70/G800/1000/70 one. But that action is pretty heavy... accounts for some of the flab on the G70! By its nature, a heavy action needs a stronger case to support it... Overall, I can live with the action. It has none of the springy sponginess that Yamaha PSR's have, is pretty crisp and comfortable. I just mainly have to get used to the keys being a bit shorter and more organ/synth like than piano sized and smoother. Not sure I could live with a PSR, but I can live with this.

If you are already a laptop kind of performer, then no, probably the BK isn't going to offer MUCH that outperforms the best VSTi's. But OTOH, there's bombproof operation and polyphony, and a very integrated soundset, which is always the weak part about using VSTi's.

Seems you already have a good workflow going, Dennis. If you are comfortable with the laptop/controller thing, I'm not sure how anything is going to better it for you. Some stuff might make it a bit easier, but at the cost of flexibility and a bit of sonic loss.

Now all I need is a Karma iPad app that allows instrument definitions from Roland to plug into the BK!

#367770 - 06/17/13 01:03 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Man a Karma iPad app - that would be the dogs, well , you know laugh

I agree that having bombproof ops, plus it all integrated has a LOT of appeal.

As you say, I do have it all as a fairly smooth system, and having VSTi's (especially for the EP's) is a pleasure to play, but there is always at the back of ones mind the tiny niggle of it crashing halfway through when you have the audience either packing the floor, or hanging on every note (VERY rare laugh )

As to keybed, well your thoughts there on that are well met...If it has that certain "firmness" about it, then the slightly shorter key length should not present a real problem.

As long as it is not like the ghastly action of the PSR's and even the T-line and Motifs... and you have stated it does not, then I will try and get one down for a trial smile

The hard part is convincing the other half wink

#367771 - 06/17/13 01:57 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: miden]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I personally hate the BK5 action. I can't play with this keyboard.

I prefer 1000 times the low end psr keyboards.

They have the advantage of being very well scaled to the velocity.

If I play a little bit harder, it will sound the same amount a little bit louder.

With the BK5, playing softly will give you a very soft sound, and then playing a little bit harder is still soft. And playing harder is switching to a too high velocity.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#367776 - 06/17/13 04:07 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Dan we are talking about the BK-9 here, but do you know if the BK-5 keybed is the same as on the BK-9?

Dennis

#367778 - 06/17/13 04:46 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: miden]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Bk-5 keybed is not even close to the Bk-9 key bed.

#367780 - 06/17/13 05:05 PM Re: BK-9 on order... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

cool, thanks.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online