SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#366896 - 05/29/13 01:40 PM Sun Spot
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hiya Playmate's

Just recently i've posted a few song's in response to challenge's set on the YKE forum (Yamaha Keyboard Enthusiast's)
I did tell them I was a Korg Owner and the didn't seem to mind' they havn't banned me yet.

Having said that,the last challenge was to post song's with 'Sun' in the title, having done all the work I thought I might as well bend your respective ear's with the result's.

https://www.box.com/s/59vgi8bw027om9bodf93

https://www.box.com/s/8df0agxnrlvxce3e9ebs

I make no aplogies for the use of the VH , I can get away with that after Don was chastised for using the VH on his video's rotfl

I used doubling in the verse's and one voice a third up in the chorus.

The Pa600 sounds pretty good what do you think?

All the best

Col

Edited by Saswick (05/29/13 01:42 PM)

#366905 - 05/29/13 02:40 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Col have you tried recording the music first ....and then on other tracks do the vocals?..

#366924 - 05/30/13 12:14 AM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Hi Donny

No, I normally just do a one take job.

Col

#366929 - 05/30/13 07:21 AM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Donny

No, I normally just do a one take job.

Col

Give it a shot lets you concentrate more on each track....
I prefer recording that way myself. Then you can go back and make changes easier if needed EQ, re record parts etc,...TIP:..
unplug the mic but sing it normally playing the KB so you get the exact sync flow of the vocals when playing.......then go back and record the vocals separetly. headphone

Edited by Dnj (05/30/13 07:24 AM)

#366931 - 05/30/13 08:29 AM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Cheers Donny

I'll give it a shot anything to improve the result.

Regards

Col

PS You just like to keep me busy computer

#366950 - 05/30/13 01:00 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Cheers Donny
I'll give it a shot anything to improve the result.
Regards
Col
PS You just like to keep me busy computer

Good luck can't wait to hear it. keys

#366954 - 05/30/13 01:05 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Col,

You have a good voice, and play superbly. However, I sincerely believe you are overshadowing your vocal talents with the harmonizer. I, for one, would love to hear you do some songs without the vocal harmonizer, or at least with limited use.

And, as DNJ said, instead of doing it in one shot, try multi-track recording instead. It provides you with considerably more latitude and a better end product.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366955 - 05/30/13 01:18 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd definitely say that harmonizer doubler's are a total waste of time. They don't even begin to approach what TOTL studio doublers do, and make the voice sound artificial and phasey.

The less you use the VH, the more effective it is. One voice above (not doubled) is usually all you need (and what you would usually do live, in a band) at most one above, one below for a tenor, two above for a baritone or basso...

Try to think in real band terms, and you usually get something far more realistic...

#366961 - 05/30/13 02:46 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

How about this one then no doubling just harmony one voice above in the chorus, I'm a glutten for punishment LOL

https://www.box.com/s/agqkc41roxv2d6oyz9gl

Col

Edited by Saswick (05/30/13 02:46 PM)

#366962 - 05/30/13 03:17 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Big improvement.

Thanks Col,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366971 - 05/30/13 09:32 PM Re: Sun Spot [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep... definitely getting there.

I'd also have a listen to the sort of 'space' around your voice, and the space around the track. Ideally, you want it all to 'sit' in the same sort of space. Having the drums and backing fairly dry, and then drenching the voice in a small hall makes for a musical 'disconnect'.

I'm not sure if you are recording this all directly, if you are, something you have to take into account is, when you are singing, you are hearing your dry 'head voice' as well as the track. Consequently, when you are performing, the ratio between dry voice and reverb seems (to you) to be less. But once you play it back, and no longer hear your own voice as well as the recording, that balance of voice and reverb becomes much more shifted towards the reverb.

Ideally, when performing, if you think that your voice sounds a bit 'dry', by the time it is recorded (or gets to the audience, who can't hear your head voice much) it is probably about right. If you can hear the reverb while playing, it's probably too much!

Arrangers force some strange stuff on us, as we are almost the only musicians that listen to the main mix rather than some sort of monitor mix..! Getting used to playing 'within' a mix, and getting used to hearing less effects than we would ideally want are things other musicians rarely have to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online