SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#366990 - 05/31/13 10:50 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: RMepstead
If you're a Technics fan then you really need to look at the Korg PA3X - it is the same sort of O/S and pretty intuitive. If I were to move on from my KN7000 that's the only one I'd choose.
No idea what the Rolands do or don't do and how they do it.
Rog

That’s interesting, as most users say the Korg is the most difficult and unintuitive to use, with those coming from a lot of the other top manufactures having problems getting to grips with the complexity of the Korg system. (Other top manufactures instruments are apparently much easier to get to grips with (Strange really as most of the aforementioned users found the Technics to be one of the easiest OS around)

Bill

#366992 - 05/31/13 11:04 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
A lot depends on your music background. If you are basically a pianist, you will like the BK-9. I have a BK-5. Roland tends to be skimpy with displays and buttons. Lots of stuff is deep in menus. Play the BK-9 before you order, Audrey. The two little displays would be much better as a larger color display. Lots of good voicing and styles but they are hard to access. I have an organ background and do not do well with the BK series. I prefer the little combo organ (AT-350C) that gives me more presets to work with. I use the BK-5 primarily for style editing for styles that I use with the AT-350C. But, again, I am not a pianist. I have an organ background.

If you like the challenge of a complex operating system, the PA3X will certainly give you that challenge. EVERYTHING is editable. But editing takes a lot of study and is not as intuitive as the Technics stuff. It took me about nine months to feel that I had a good understanding of the Korg PA3X. After that time I decided it was not the right keyboard for me. I got rid of it.

#367009 - 06/01/13 12:53 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Tell you what Bill - I found the Tyros the hardest O/S to navigate by far...but I guess it's a question of what you're used to and grew up with so to speak.

#367011 - 06/01/13 02:44 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain

#367040 - 06/02/13 07:53 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
I listened to the demo of the PA3X and as Queen Victoria said, "We are not amused." I found the sounds muffled and styles the guy played boring. I blame the bad mix more than the instrument. I didn't see Part 2 of the video and perhaps it is better. Drums sounded boxy and muffled.

Mark

#367054 - 06/02/13 07:23 PM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Roger, have you tried adding a triplet sound with a guitar arpeggio or a piano playing triplets? Or the drums; not to effective.

You can add the triplets in one of the Accomp. tracks or in one of the pads. Try writing it in step time; kinda easy.

I went through all the 6/8 rhythms in my Kn7 and the Pa800 - very basic ----- just adding triplets should do the job. Adding triplets to the intros and ending might be a different job.

Roger I listened to the song, “I’d rather go blind” on YouTube – it is so simple – the triplets are played very softly in the background. By adding triplets to a rock ballad that fits the song best should do what you are looking for.

Take care, John C.

#367073 - 06/03/13 12:45 PM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Thanks for your thoughts John - I'll give it a try...

#367633 - 06/15/13 04:39 PM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thanks for your comments Roger. I was at the last OKC meet at Pontins 2 years ago and spent most of the time at the Korg stand. You're right, it is the nearest keyboard to the KN7000 and I was very interested in all that it had to offer, particularly when I was told it can read Technics styles as I still have quite a few of them loaded with songs and styles. However, if I did go down that road, I would want the 76-note model which back then was selling for around £4,000.

I understand the Roland BK-9 76-note model is just under £2,000 BUT it doesn't have a speaker system, so I guess I would have to pay for some sort of sound box if I wanted to take it out. At home I could just link it to my hi-fi system which is what I'm using anyway.

I think I'll wait until I've seen and played the BK-9 first before making up my mind. I'll keep you posted on that one.

By the way, my grandson uses 'Linkedin' to contact me and I notice that your name is at the bottom of the page - what's that all about?

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (06/15/13 04:40 PM)

#367650 - 06/16/13 06:23 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Do you know I've never understood 'linkedin' but apparently I'm a 'member' whatever that means!!!

#367656 - 06/16/13 07:27 AM Re: 6/8 rhythms [Re: RMepstead]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: RMepstead
Do you know I've never understood 'linkedin' but apparently I'm a 'member' whatever that means!!!

Hi RogerM

You can only become a LinkedIn member if you actually join, if you receive emails and you haven’t joined then delete them as they will either be spam or phishing emails.

Bill

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online