SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#366193 - 05/12/13 10:19 AM Serious health concerns...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
At age 72 I'm still able to do most of the things I did 30 years ago. I can still get on stage and perform for crowds of any size, have lots of fun singing to the ladies, and I really enjoy interacting with my audiences. Granted, I'm not as strong as I was 30 years ago, but I can still sail a 33-foot boat single-handed, still do loads of lawn and garden work around the house, but some of the body parts are just shot to hell.

After a couple heart attacks, two stents, and suffering the effects of Lyme Disease and Asbestosis of the lung, you come to the stark realization that all those body parts have a limited life span. About a decade ago, I had a nasty sinus infection that tried to turn into infectious meningitis. As a result, I lost all my molars, and the incisors became very brittle and began breaking off. I'm now to the point where dentures will soon be needed, probably in the next month or two, at least for the upper teeth. My greatest fear is this will effect my vocal ability, but I'm just not sure if this will indeed happen.

I know a few good singers on the forum have dentures, and I've talked with a couple on the telephone. I'm hoping to make the transition to dentures without problems, but this scares me more than the heart attacks.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, even if you decide not to post it. You can email me at travlin_easy@verizon.net

Thanks,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366195 - 05/12/13 10:23 AM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Lost my upper front teeth playing basketball FORTY years ago. Didn't make me sing any worse!
DonM

#366196 - 05/12/13 10:33 AM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I can't give any advice but I can say that I really admire all that you do- the performancing, sailing, handy work, knowledge about the keyboards and helpfull bussiness tips. As I've said before, you are one of my heros! Best wishes to you my friend.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#366209 - 05/12/13 01:26 PM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... I took the liberty of asking my favorite dentist - our SON wink - about this ... he said you may have a period of adjustment because of having a 'plate' over your palate, and you may have to 're-learn' how to pronounce some words, but other than that there should not be any major problems ... no changing of your vocal 'tone' or anything like that ...
Of course, the better option would be implants, but most likely you would need for YOUR son to be a dentist - $$$ - grin
And if you need a good dentist, Mamaroneck NY isn't THAT far from Bal'more ... grin

Best of luck, whatever you do ...

Edited by tony mads usa (05/12/13 01:27 PM)

#366216 - 05/12/13 04:11 PM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: travlin'easy]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i've had dentures (upper and lower) for the last 15 years. best thing i've ever done due to neglected care, my health actually improved (less gum and teeth infections) . i've had 3 heart attacks, triple by pass, cancer, fatty liver and as my med team says "you have a host of issues" .you will have to listen to your self enunciate your words when you sing (try recording your singing to tweak your style) other than that no major problems will happen. best of luck , you'll be glad you did it. at 72 be proud of the fact that you are still performing. i'm 65 and i miss it. i stopped playing 6 years ago.

#366219 - 05/12/13 05:19 PM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: travlin'easy]
billyhank Offline

Gary,

I numerous root canals only to have the tooth explode within a month and finally decided to get those things the hell out of my mouth - I had to go to three separate dentist before I could find one willing to pull what they thought were perfectly good teeth.

But, I told them that I was done suffering the pain of root canals, infected gums, and the amount of money it all cost. and that I would take a hammer and knock them out if they wouldn't do the job.

I also had my dentist make the upper plate before he pulled the teeth so i could put it in the same day. He shuddered to thing about doing that, but I am so glad I did because those teeth still fit perfectly 20 years later and I can still eat corn on the cob.

Bill G

#366220 - 05/12/13 06:22 PM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: billyhank]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wow! Thanks guys for both the online comments and to those that took the time to email me. I feel a lot less apprehensive about the upcoming events. The dentist did say everything would take place in a single day and that I should not have a problem. Of course, the cardiologist that put the first stent in said "You'll never have problem with this stent because It's chemically treated so it can never clog." WRONG! It clogged in less than 3 years.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366223 - 05/12/13 07:59 PM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

No one knew my mom had a false upper plate until it came out in a conversation.

#366224 - 05/12/13 08:02 PM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: Beakybird]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Beakybird
No one knew my mom had a false upper plate until it came out in a conversation.

bounce
DonM

#366235 - 05/13/13 03:08 AM Re: Serious health concerns... [Re: travlin'easy]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
...the subject, I hope! wink

Good health to all of you, friends!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online