SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#365234 - 04/19/13 05:35 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: Dreamer]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
You can still buy an SD5. I don't know if the upgraded model (with usb drive) has the audio drums or if losing the floppy is the only upgrade. Anybody know?? They sell new for around $2,200- add about $360 for vocalizer. Hard drive available as an option also.

#365238 - 04/19/13 06:55 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: sparky589]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Sparky,
no, unfortunately the SD5 (like the Midjay Plus) has no audio drums, but only an audio track with short loops of percussive instruments (congas, shakers, tambourines, claves, etc), coupled with midi drums on a second drum track.
It's a real pity that Ketron, a pioneer in this kind of technology applied to arranger keyboards, is losing the advantage accumulated in years (see what Yamaha has done with the PSR-950 and Roland is doing with the BK-9).
I am willing to bet that within two years Roland will come out with an Audya 4-like module priced around 1500 euros.

#365268 - 04/19/13 04:18 PM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: Dreamer]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Dreamer
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude

Maybe the MidJay Pro would be suitable as it has the Audio Drums

Yes, but how much of them has inside? Could it be the whole package? The Full Monthy? I would love if they will put inside the jazz bossa and the jazz samba, but I guess that we'll have to wait until it's released, unless you know something already... (hint, hint...)
With the Audya audio drums inside, the Midjay Pro could be really a killer instrument, even more so because is technologically more up-to-date than the Audya (just to name a feature it has an SSD drive vs an ancient ATA drive, and so could stream the loops better).
Can you tell us something more, so that can we start to save our pennies? smile

I wont know for sure until one arrives. The brochures I have do not specify midi guitars - just audio drums, wether it will read Audya styles I do not know at this point.

The touch screen may make it more user friendly than previous midjays - which whilst had the ability to be used as an arranger, lacked the quick access to styles and sounds - you had to use the data wheel and cursor keys.

It could be a very interesting product indeed.

#365298 - 04/20/13 02:20 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Let's keep our fingers crossed...

#365306 - 04/20/13 06:32 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Merengue in the "Dominican Style" is something Yamaha definitely needs improvement on. But ketron has nailed style that for sure.
My conversions are just ok to a point, but lack the quality heard on a Sd-1, Sd5 or Audya etc.

check out merengue at 1:14 of this demo..

3:52 of this demo

Edited by Dnj (04/20/13 06:41 AM)

#365308 - 04/20/13 07:06 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Yeah Donny, those Ketron Latin styles sound great for sure... I love to check your Yamaha convertions.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#365309 - 04/20/13 07:12 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Yeah Donny, those Ketron Latin styles sound great for sure... I love to check your Yamaha convertions.

Paul as always its my pleasure ....You Got Mail !! cool2

#365339 - 04/20/13 03:36 PM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Most of those styles have been in use for decades, and have evolved over the years. It's hard to please everyone, because someone will want a modern mambo, someone will want a 80's mambo, someone wants a 40's Prado style mambo...

Same with most of the rest.

#365482 - 04/23/13 06:23 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That is true Diki, but I just can't stand the watered downed crap that often is not true to the idiom. Like on my Tyros 2 there's Mexican Norteņas with castanets and Merengues with cowbells. Whose idea was that?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#365483 - 04/23/13 07:43 AM Re: Who makes the best Latin styles? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Paul can you change the instrumentation on the Tyros drums? That is the beauty of the ROLAND makeup tools...best in the business when it comes to style editing and drums etc..

Edited by Dnj (04/23/13 07:55 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online