SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#364773 - 04/11/13 02:13 AM Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

My first attempt since acquiring the PSR750 to record a song with both the Korg PA800 and the PSR750. As to the song itself read the info on my youtube entry. I remember first hearing it on the radio rendered by the late Eva Cassidy and it gave me gooseflesh all over.... Although the credits should go to Sting (the Police) for composing the song) I find his interpretations of it rather bleak and disappointing. In the meantime many other artists have meanwhile added this gem to their repertoires.....

regards,
John

youtube:
http://youtu.be/Xi79LBVwdzo
direct download:
https://www.box.com/s/w2ojch02n0glwrk4g3fh

#364779 - 04/11/13 05:18 AM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: john smies]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John,

Not sure how you recorded this one, but your vocals needed to be more up front. Overall, good job.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#364797 - 04/11/13 12:56 PM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John ... nice job, and the balance sounded fine to me ...

#364799 - 04/11/13 01:22 PM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Great song John....!! keep em coming!

#364803 - 04/11/13 01:34 PM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Well done. Many here would not even attempt that song- even with one keyboard. What a haunting yet serene melody. Very full background sound which is what this song is meant to best display. Changing proximity to the mic would take care of what Gary said, but the emphasis was on what the instruments could do together.

#364830 - 04/12/13 04:09 AM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: sparky589]
john smies Offline

Thanks for your kind words. I guess the singing could be slightly more upfront, depends on the system you listen to though. The vocals go thru the Korg VH and both Korg and Yammie run into a simple Behringer mixing console onto the computer.
I guess I should have trimmed the PSR750 a wee bit more but it being a one take recording one would have to start from scratch again. Still I am pleased by the overall result and combination of these two. On this song most of what you hear is PSR, whereas the lower strings and righthand guitar/string sound is Korg PA800.

regards,
John

#364832 - 04/12/13 05:11 AM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

John maybe try a multi trak approach on your next recording to compare results. This will let you concentrate on different part aspects of the the musical process instead of trying to do it in a one shot attempt which surly will be more difficult.

#364951 - 04/14/13 11:37 PM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: john smies]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great sound. I enjoyed watching a lot.
Thanks for sharing.
DonM

#364959 - 04/15/13 03:44 AM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Very nice rendition John. Thanks for posting.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#364965 - 04/15/13 07:01 AM Re: Korg and Yamaha : Fields of Gold [Re: BBBB]
john smies Offline

thanks for your comments.
True enough these one take recordings are often tricky but then I have never gotten down to track recording etc.etc. Heck, until recently my keyboards were residing on the far side of the livingroom, yards away from the computer !
In the past I used to record direct in on a digital recorder (DAT) singing along but not recording the singing which I would then add later on using my (very) dated Boss 8 track recorder.
But I guess I have gotten a bit lazy ( probably age ...) and these days I often just record directly routing the voice thru the Korg PA800 and its VH. Due to the purchase of the Yamaha PSR750 I now have the added difficulty of getting the right balance between the two keyboard sounds and my voicing. Still as you said it is not a bad recording and I hope there will be more to follow, all the more so as recently my daughter has shown some interest and she is quite a good singer even if I say so myself.................to be continued. smile

regards
John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online