SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#363458 - 03/19/13 03:29 PM Live Music @ 'The Falcon' in Marlboro NY
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A good friend of mine owns this venue in Marlboro NY that is truly a labor of love ... there is no cover charge for music, donations are requested and all the donation money goes to the musicians ...
It just happens that this coming Sunday Night - March 24 - another good friend - although much younger than I - Vinnie Zummo, will be appearing there ... check out the link below and while at the site click on 'About Us"

If you are in the area, it would be worthwhile to visit 'The Falcon' ... ask for Tony Falco and let him know Tony Madalone told you about it ... smile

http://www.liveatthefalcon.com/

03/24 - Sunday Evening :: Vinnie Zummo Trio
Falcon Arts Center

Vinnie Zummo (guitar)

Janice Zummo (vocals)

Cameron Brown (bass)

Ray Marchica (drums)

The Vinnie Zummo Trio is bop based but highly eclectic. At their Falcon performance expect the show to go from breakneck fusion to hard bop, heartbreaking ballads, spacy blues, Zydeco and bluegrass with many stops in between. Though best known for his seven years with the Joe Jackson Band, Vinnie has also worked with artists as varied as Mike Mainieri, Kenny Barron, Harold Danko, Chet Baker, Roger Daltrey, Art Garfunkel, Shawn Colvin, and Paul Carrack, and is in demand as a TV & film composer and long time first call session player. His approach to playing jazz guitar is unique and languid, with phrasing more akin to a sax than a guitar.

Janice Zummo, long popular on the NYC session scene, is an amazing interpetive singer. At a recent SRO gig at The Bitter End with the trio, she brought audiences to tears with her unique phrasing and depth. Her performances along with Vinnie on their new CD: Jazz Album will move you as well. Janice can also be heard on The Zummos debut album Modern Marriage on A & M Records, the children's jazz CD So to Bed, So to Rise, and on Vinnie's popular Swinging Guitar Sounds of Young America CD Series.

Cameron Brown and Ray Marchica are two of the elite of the New York jazz community. With credits between them that range from Barbara Streisand to Chet Baker you would be hard pressed to find a more swinging rythm section. Along with Janice & Vinnie the band has become as tight as can be with everyone practically breathing together. Percussionist Bill Stuart joins the band for several songs as well

#363491 - 03/20/13 12:44 AM Re: Live Music @ 'The Falcon' in Marlboro NY [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA

#363515 - 03/20/13 09:23 AM Re: Live Music @ 'The Falcon' in Marlboro NY [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It me, this is about as good as it gets. And, it's a good lesson in jazz interpretaiton. copmpare Autumn leaves played by our friend Rory Hoffman, then listen to the completely different stylings here.

That's JAZZ at it's finest!

Thanks, Tony...no surprise you posted this fine piece!

Russ (old "jazzer") Lay

#363649 - 03/22/13 02:29 PM Re: Live Music @ 'The Falcon' in Marlboro NY [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
And thank you Nigel for the video ... can you tell me what you had to do to get that - I got a message saying my PC did not support the format or something to that affect ...

Here is another ...

BTW ... I had heard that some years ago Vinny almost lost his hearing completely ... I believe that is why he wears the headphones ...

#363658 - 03/23/13 12:10 AM Re: Live Music @ 'The Falcon' in Marlboro NY [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Tony, I really didn't do anything other than copy the link at youtube.com and paste it in over here.

Thanks for the explanation about the headphones.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online